DCC Ready Southern EMU mk1 chassis (DIY)

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
fratton

DCC Ready Southern EMU mk1 chassis (DIY)

Postby fratton » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:07 pm

While scratching my head about powering a 4-cig and then DCC it last week i was presented with the various options helpfully by the usual helpfull sources
but with one exception, using a class 150 chassis which for me was great as i had a chipped one that i didnt like cosmeticly, after lining them up the bogie lengths are spot on and the axle width so no problems like i wanted to avoid with the Greenmax chassis

after prying and trimming off the detailing on the underside of the chassis the cab end was made flush and the to ends on top of the chassis so that the shell fit snug but a height variance was obvious

I used plastitruct I beam girder to make a rim round the sides and some plastitruct strip at the ends it was a tad robust but less obvious than the height differance in the end,
for the bogies i used standard mk3 bogies as i am going to hide the motor in the guards section but if you wanted to put it on the motor coach there are subtiable motor bogie castings availible from TPM
the non motor bogie was mofified using the removed picups from the 150 bogie and they fit rather well with just a slot made to put the pickups through and the pickup axles fit inside the brass pickups just as they did on the 150 and i have retained good running over points

The truss rods are form the ultima by etched pixels range and fit snuggly, (although not completely right for a CIG but i wont count the rivets if you don't :D )
no underside detail is fitted as yet as i havent ordered any yet :lol:

although the cost of these units has now shot up they were cheaper and if the price dips i think i may consider another one or two

the chassis has been test fit to my 4-VEP but will be put on my 4-cig which will likely tow the 4-vep, i test ran it with 4 mk3's to see if it would haul them all and it handled it fine so double headed EMU's can be ran easily,

i thought i would share it as a useful source for n gaugers that want a DCC ready motor chassis for their MK1 based multiple unti stock

The motor bogie casting removed,

Pickups fitted to the mk1 bogie

plastitruct strip and I girder to widen the base of the chassis i think this might have been a little robust and may strip it off and redo (going to take it down squires tools and eye up a replacement before i buy)

Shell test fitted the height issue is less obvious only the thicker chassis base showing

How much was cut from the mk1 bogie to make the motor end cover

a shot of the test fitting before glueing on to the top of the two spurs left by the old detail

Both bogies fitted

shot of the finished power bogie (note the paint on the wheel has been cleaned up now,,,, one plus of macro photographs seeing micro imperfections)

Truss rods going on

This corner needs work loks okay at NVD but upclose its a mess

lined up nicely height wise

Here's some pictures of my 4-vep taking the powered chassis for a spin back and forth (couldnt be bothered to put the bridge up!!!!!)

SouthernBoy

Re: DCC Ready Southern EMU mk1 chassis (DIY)

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks for sharing that Fratton - and nice work too, the finished result is very effective.

Can I ask what pick-ups you used?

fratton

Postby fratton » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:50 pm

The pickups are just recycled from the 150 's bogie and they fit really well with a drop of superglue to set them in place once you're happy the axles are in the right place,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:22 am

I also missed out that the peg that the non motor bogey sits on, needs filing down a tad as the old bogies hung lower than mk3 bogeys do I just took about 1mm or so, until the new one looked right,,,,

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”