Modern HGV trailers

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
matt-b

Modern HGV trailers

Postby matt-b » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Hello people

Have had some modern flatbed trailers produced. (Plans are to have a curtain sided version too)
Am just seeing if there would be much demand for people to buy them?
Unpainted trailers like the picture below would be around £17.50 which i know aint cheap...
They will work great with Universal Hobbies (keyring) trucks. :)

Would welcome peoples input and ideas.
Thanks, Matt

Jim S-W

Re: Modern HGV trailers

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:28 pm

Hi Matt

As a 4mm scale modeller I wouldnt be interested which is a shame as that looks very nice indeed.

Cheers

Jim

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Looks good Matt - a lot of work, but certainly very detailed. :)

If you want to sell them for £17.50, then you will have to come up with something a little special.
Tomytec make some excellent models which sell for significantly less on ebay, at around £10 including the tractor unit:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120799251962? ... 500wt_1361

There were some metal ones in UK n-gauge scale made by (or called?) 'Intertrans' which were absolutely superb, and go for around £15 with postage:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330634121347? ... 500wt_1361

I made some UK livery lorries myself based on Tomytec container lorries, some of which I sold on ebay. Winning bids were in the region of £20 for a pair and £27 for three (including postage) so that may give you an idea of what sort of market there is out there. Personally I find they look great on my layout, so was a little disappointed at what they sold for. I probably won't be doing many more to sell as it isn't worth the effort they take to make at those prices :( so future models will be for my own personal collection only.
I'd be interested to hear what you think of my efforts though...
N_gauge modern British livery lorries.jpg
N_gauge modern British livery lorries.jpg (386.31 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

I hope that helps
Alan

matt-b

Postby matt-b » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 pm

I like them, did you use vinyls?
I have seen them style trailers on ebay/websites for very cheap, however the actually trailer itself doesnt look very uk`ish at all and i`ve ever seen them cabs here either.
Graham Avis do a modern style trailer one, thou i think thats kit form.
Well done thou, you`ve done a good job :)

Matt

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 pm

No, nothing so sophisticated as vinyls.

I found some images on the internet, edited them in PaintShopPro then Powerpoint and printed them on normal copier paper using a colour laser printer we have at work (in my lunch break of course!). Then I simply stuck some double sided tape on the back, cut them out and stuck them on the painted container bodies.
Simple, yet very effective. Sadly though not profitable enough to be worth selling!

I look forward to seeing your future models, and hope you have more success than me.
I like the idea of curtain-wall trailers - something 'irregular' that may be special enough to justify the prices you are hoping for. Maybe you could also come up with some loads for your flat-beds to give them a unique feel not available elsewhere? ...or a two-piece curtain-wall kit with an open side to reveal the cargo about to be unloaded by forklift?

Make sure you post some finished painted models to really show off their potential. Good luck :)

matt-b

Postby matt-b » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:13 pm

trailers now available in resin form as above... £15+£1 postage.
ideal code 3 project for someone to take on.

thanks, matt

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”