Poole Built Grafar chassis and China Bachmann Farish bodies

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
maslin4863

Poole Built Grafar chassis and China Bachmann Farish bodies

Postby maslin4863 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi everyone,

Please forgive me if, one I am in the wrong place, two I am asking a stupid question. If I have a Poole built Grafar Class 33 but want to change the body to the Class 33 "Sea King" Civil Engineer body from a Bachmann Farish modern Class 33 is it the same chassis or am I going to have dramas trying to attach the new body t the old chassis? Has anyone done this and have the answer before i shell out money for something i cant use?

Again apologies if its a stupid question.

John

m8internet

Re: Poole Built Grafar chassis and China Bachmann Farish bodies

Postby m8internet » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:42 pm

You may need to modify the internals of the BachFar body
Personally, just obtain the BachFar model complete as this will have blackened wheels and dump the Farish chassis
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:11 am

Hi John.
Why would it be a stupid question? You don't own both and have every reason to suspect there could be a design change between the different models - this is the whole reason for a forum such as this - to ask if there is someone out there who has done what you hope to do, rather than you take a chance with your own hard earned cash for something that may not work! This is especially valid for the class 33 as they weren't that common a model, so hopefully I can help you out here...

I have done exactly what you are suggesting, so rest assured the two models don't actually vary than much.

I have both the old Poole body 33205 in Railfreight distribution, and the more modern China built 33002 Sea King in Civil engineers livery.
The older Poole body has four small triangular lugs to latch under the chassis, whereas the newer China body has four small circular indents that latch onto four raised pips on the China chassis. The differences are so small that they make no real difference, so be confident they are totally interchangeable. The only possible warning I would give (as with all body swaps) is don't pick them up by the body without a cupped hand underneath, as the grip of the body to the chassis may not be so secure - you don't want your quiet new chassis to smash on the floor!
The two bodies are totally interchangeable and both sit flush without any modification, so look ok either way around - as I say, just don't pick either up by the body and expect the chassis to stay attached!

I hope that helps . Any questions, and don't feel shy to ask - that is what the forum is all about :)
Alan

maslin4863

Postby maslin4863 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:48 pm

Alan,

Many thanks for the answer, I have the RfD Livery Class 33 which compared to my other 2 Class 56 (Coal/Construction), 2 Class 47 (RfD, The Sapper/Parcels) 2 Class 37 (Petroleum/Metals) looks a bit shabby and dated and I managed to get an Ibertren Crane from EBay so thought instead of getting a new Civil engineer diesel and face the consequences with my missus I could create one with the Sea King Body but wasnt sure it would work but now I know I shall crack on and justify it as "Look darling I never bought a new train....its the same one!!"

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”