Which track cleaner Tomix or CMX

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
bbdave

Which track cleaner Tomix or CMX

Postby bbdave » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:02 pm

So out of the two which one is recomended? i know the obvious price difference but does one perform better than the other?

Dave

0121modeller
Location: Erdington, Birmingham,.... but can also be found at various railway bridges !

Re: Which track cleaner Tomix or CMX

Postby 0121modeller » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:10 pm

I've heard say the CMX has the leading edge over the Tomix/Dapol, & the CMX is up to twice the cost of buying, I recently bought a CMX but I've not had an opportunity to test how well it performs, & I wont have the opportunity to test its performance for a while yet, as we're just about to move house.

The Tomix/Dapol cleaner has a vacuum function as well, but to change over the function of vac to IPA cleaning & vice versa require the vehicle being lifted off track as to exchange underside components to do the required function.

Dave.
Scratchbuilding 4mm scale JXA scrapwagons ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37620
Scratchbuilt & kit built grappler claw cranes ; - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=36342

amsie

Postby amsie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 pm

I can't say anything regarding the Tomix, but I recently asked the same question in DEMU, and was recommended the CMX. I paid the extra and my running reliability improved like you wouldent believe.

You definately won't go wrong with the CMX, but like I say, I can't comment on the Tomix/Dapol.

Paul

bbdave

Postby bbdave » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 pm

It does seem the CMX comes out on top i guess "you pays your money"

Dave

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:14 pm

I wonder how much difference it would make for me? At the moment I clean my track with a cotton bud and some white spirit...

Would a proper kit be worth the money?

poliss

Postby poliss » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:21 pm

Or you could make your own for a few pennies. http://wpporter.duckburg.us/trackcleaner.htm
(Masonite is hardboard.)

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:25 pm

I find that running metal wheeled stock negates the need for cleaning completely, the Dapol track cleaner I use only ever has the vacuum attachment fitted to suck up dust.

I am sure the CMX is great if you have filthy track but for me the Dapol has the edge because of the vac.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”