TINGS

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
CaptainElectra

Re: TINGS

Postby CaptainElectra » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:49 pm

The N Gauge Society are going to announce their next RTR N Gauge project tomorrow. Apparently, it's something never done RTR in any scale and has wide appeal... :?:
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:43 pm

The N Gauge Society is to produce the first ready-to-run mass-market model in any scale of the distinctive and long-lasting LMS Inspection Saloon.

The model will coincide with the NGS’s 45th anniversary in 2012, and represents its most ambitious ready-to-run project yet.

(Photo courtesy of Brian Daniels)

The LMS, and later BR, built a number of Saloons to allow Senior Managers, Staff and Guests to inspect the railway in style. The vehicles feature a central kitchen area with two large saloons and windows at both ends.

Due to the comfort and usefulness, they remained in service throughout the BR period and a small number even lasted long enough to receive EWS livery.

The model is being manufactured for the NGS exclusively by Graham Farish by Bachmann. It is the NGS’s fourth ready-to-run model and comes after our successful Stove R, BR Independent Snowplough and Queen Mary brake van.

The model will feature separate glazing, a detailed interior, numerous separate fittings and NEM couplers in close-coupling mounts. It will also be supplied with some parts for the modeller to fit, including roof air horns and steam or diesel era lamps as appropriate.

The NGS has selected Diag 2046 for its model, this is the first production batch built from 1940. Our model will incorporate the distinctive recessed door handles that featured on 8 saloons at Wolverton between 1942 and 1947, and has been selected as it offers the best combination of longevity and typicality.

The NGS is producing 500 models each in six different liveries; carefully chosen to reflect the long, distinguished and colourful lives of the LMS Inspection Saloons.

They are:

1) 45021 in original LMS lined crimson lake with black ends (both sides of model shown)

2) 45026 in BR carmine and cream with black ends

3) 45020 in BR maroon

4) 45028 in BR blue/grey with full yellow ends

5) 45030 in LMS crimson lake with full yellow ends – this version dates from 1977-present

6) 45029 in EWS maroon with half-yellow ends

(Please note these are graphicised images to illustrate the liveries, and not the CAD design drawings)

The model is scheduled for release at Warley 2012 and as ever is available to members only. A deposit of £10 is required to reserve each model

For more information see http://www.ngaugesociety.com

cheers
Ben A.
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.
To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.
To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:42 pm

I don't think I'm alone in thinking there is potentially a Stanier BG somewhere down the road using the chassis that will appear under the NGS inspection saloon...LMS 50ft chassis with very little difference between them save for the steps, which one would assume would be a separate part on the model in any case.

The forthcoming CJM class 50 looks absolutely stunning, I have to admit. I know I often say I hate the class but its still a class that appeared in my neck of the woods and does intrest me...the £495 price tag is a bit eye watering, but it looks better than the currently available 00 versions. I didn't take my camera, so no pics.

djgriff

Postby djgriff » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:24 pm

Hi all had a great day at tings opperating waterstock with plenty of bargains on offer to tempt my wallet.
We had a scratch built lner hush hush which won the Andy Calvert trophty at this years agm hauling 8 gresley teaks.
Looking forward to tomorro.

Dave

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Karhedron wrote:
The N Gauge Society is to produce the first ready-to-run mass-market model in any scale of the distinctive and long-lasting LMS Inspection Saloon.

The model will coincide with the NGS’s 45th anniversary in 2012, and represents its most ambitious ready-to-run project yet

Ultima do a conversion kit for the Mk1 inspection saloon ; http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogu ... =UME1416K1
but I've got to admit that I'd have much rather it had been the inspection saloon converted from a Hastings unit buffet car; http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowan826/4727988014/
It's been around for a long time and still is, travels all over the network, has carried quite a few liveries and is somewhat of a celebrity vehicle often used on demos, stock displays, open days, railtours and so on. It's a lot more distinctive than the LMS thing but I guess I'll end up getting one.

G.

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Grahame wrote:
Ultima do a conversion kit for the Mk1 inspection saloon ; http://www.ultima-models.co.uk/catalogu ... =UME1416K1
but I've got to admit that I'd have much rather it had been the inspection saloon converted from a Hastings unit buffet car; http://www.flickr.com/photos/rowan826/4727988014/

It's been around for a long time and still is, travels all over the network, has carried quite a few liveries and is somewhat of a celebrity vehicle often used on demos, stock displays, open days, railtours and so on. It's a lot more distinctive than the LMS thing but I guess I'll end up getting one.
G.

Hello Grahame,

The Hastings unit was converted in 1969 - when the LMS Saloons had already given nearly three decades of service. It never ran alongside steam. If we'd chosen it we'd have been, rightly, pilloried!

cheers

Ben A.

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:24 pm

I managed to get up there today and like last year it to me about an hour to go round twice.

I can't stand the people at these shows, so inconsiderate. I'd spend ages politely waiting to get to a stand, for others to move and then I am barged out the way. The number of people who walked backwards into me or hit me with their bag, yet they were oblivious, as for sorry? No chance! I muttered 'I hate this hobby!' A few times to myself as I walked around. It was all the oldies, without a doubt. Oblivious and self centred rather than pure rude.

Picked up an amazing bargain, a dapol regional railways 156 motorised unit and a dummy for £85 from dapol, I think they charged me for 2 dummies.

I also managed to pick up N'Spirations 5 :-)

The better layouts were the smaller ones overall, the Birmingham sidings/junction one was absolutley excellent.

The 3 hours round trip was worth it due to the bargains, but there weren't a huge number of layouts that appealed to me(modern era, uk). I think they should move to a larger site and get more layouts in.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:22 pm

I have to say, this being the first large exhibition I have attended in a few years after getting sick and tired of the crowds/rabble of Warley and the like, I found TINGS to be a much more pleasant experience. Even getting to the bargains was easy enough, no pushing/brawling required, just drift in from the edge as people move away. Lets just say that this one restored my faith in the larger exhibitions somewhat.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Ben A wrote:The Hastings unit was converted in 1969 - when the LMS Saloons had already given nearly three decades of service. It never ran alongside steam.

1969 to 2011 is more than four decades of service and I'm sure I've seen pics of it in the company of a kettle :wink:

I don't think that having a criteria of steam/transition era for everything is necessarily always right. Some rotation is acceptable and will widen choice, otherwise there is likely to be some members that the RTR range doesn't appeal to such as overseas, pre-grouping, and contemporary modern modellers.

G.

Ben A

Postby Ben A » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Grahame wrote:
Ben A wrote:The Hastings unit was converted in 1969 - when the LMS Saloons had already given nearly three decades of service. It never ran alongside steam.

1969 to 2011 is more than four decades of service and I'm sure I've seen pics of it in the company of a kettle :wink:

I don't think that having a criteria of steam/transition era for everything is necessarily always right. Some rotation is acceptable and will widen choice, otherwise there is likely to be some members that the RTR range doesn't appeal to such as overseas, pre-grouping, and contemporary modern modellers.

G.

Hello Grahame,

Yes, but 1942-2011 is nearly seven decades of service! :lol: Given that no Inspection Saloon had ever been done, I looked at all the types (including Caroline, the ex-Hastings unit, which I've seen with a DRS 37 and would have quite liked myself!) and decided that for broadest spread of appeal the LMS variant had to be the one. I would be surprised if there would be many people who would disagree on this.

As to rotation, I am afraid with the RTR products at this time I disagree. In straitened times, I think we cannot afford to ignore the biggest purchasing demographic, which is by some way the steam/diesel transition era modellers. Compared to kits, RTR projects do cost us a lot and we need to spend that money wisely. Having said that, I am always open to ideas on how we can appeal to more members.

cheers

Ben A.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 am

Ben A wrote:Yes, but 1942-2011 is nearly seven decades of service!

I wasn't aware that the LMS inspection saloons were still in service; where can they be seen working?

Ben A wrote: I would be surprised if there would be many people who would disagree on this.

Not so much about disagreeing with the choice, but that there are people who'd have prefered the Hastings unit; myself, you, and Alan Cox has voiced support for it being a lot more interesting but of course you can't produce a new product on the strength of just three people (although there may be others). However, and I don't want to make a big issue over it as the choice has obviously been made and is unlikely to be changed so I'm happy with it this time, but perhaps some discussion by the members prior to the final selection would have at least meant people did have their opinions/concerns/alternatives and preferences listened to.

Ben A wrote: Having said that, I am always open to ideas on how we can appeal to more members.

I doubt you're going to appeal to everyone if you simply rule out those who are not transisition era modellers and unfortunately there is a danger that it could make it sound like the Society is only really targetted for those who modelling happens to be British transisiton era. There are some overseas members who have been saying that quite vocally for some while now but it's a difficult one to crack when the society is promoted as all eras and worldwide.

G.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:07 pm

The Hastings car would keep the Royalists happy for sure, but I can see more sense in producing the LMS design than a one off personally. Considerably more livery variations (Load Haul, Mainline, IC, all over BR Blue, Crimson/Cream with yellow ends at the very least also possible) and nearly 30 years longer service life for a start, they were definately still in use in 2009, all means that there is fuel for another batch of similar size all in different liveries to the initial batch. The chassis literally just needs a 50' plank and the detail parts are there on the shelf from the Stanier range leaving the body to design using existing CAD components. Don't forget that BR built a further 5 of them to this design in 1959, at least one of which was allocated in the South according to SEMG, so its not all doom and gloom for those living the wrong side of Watford. :wink:

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:04 pm

Grahame wrote:However, and I don't want to make a big issue over it as the choice has obviously been made and is unlikely to be changed so I'm happy with it this time, but perhaps some discussion by the members prior to the final selection would have at least meant people did have their opinions/concerns/alternatives and preferences listened to.

The problem with this is that if you end up opening up discussion to the entire society, nothing would ever get agreed upon. At least the SR has already had a shot at the RTR with the QM brake. The poor GWR has not had anything produced RTR yet. :(

If you have a real hankering for a particular prototype then maybe the thing to do is to make the case for it. Research the prototype, make a case based on sound business foundations and approach the RTR group of the NGS about doing it. I think that they are likely to appreciate someone who has rolled up their hands and got stuck in.
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.

To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.

To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:16 pm

what was the Dapol announcement, apologies if it's been posted.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:51 pm

Working semaphore signals in N and 00 gauge, with the N Gauge ones supposedly being just weeks away from the shops.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”