Dapols HST the wait is over, its here.

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Martin71

Dapols HST the wait is over, its here.

Postby Martin71 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:56 pm

Hi all

Some photos of the new Dapol production HST.

Coupling with the standard rapido coupler, very very good.

Here are my first impressions of the HST. Livery and attention to detail of the actual body are excellent. It must be noted that when it comes to the livery I have never actually seen one so I will leave that to the experts.

Livery and exterior.

I'm my opinion Dapol have captured the essence of the HST. The lines are sharp, crisp and they is a consistent quality through the body. The actual tool used is of very high quality as I could find no flash and no stress marks in the plastic so good cool down time was observed. I really like the hand rails and the fact their is no over spray. ON close inspection the attention to detail is fantastic eg the exhausts are not blanked off they are proper holes, the logos lettering are very sharp and easy to read. My only one concern with the body is the yellow over blue, in saying that you will not notice it any more than 100mm from the loco. All in all I will give the body of the HST 9/10 she just looks the part!

Bogies excellent attention to detail, no flash at all. Gearing has a smooth feel and a very low rolling resistance. Go easy on the lube but otherwise they are very realistic.

Chassis/ Motor housing + interior soldering is excellent, no cold solder joints at all, shiny clean joints what I like to see. 3 pin Molex plug on lighting PCB again board has clean joints. I gave it a good tug and no break on any joint. Wiring is colour coded to suit DCC thats another plus for anyone who wants to hard wire it. It comes with the standard 6 pin NEM plug with plenty of space for a decoder. Wiring harness is neat and user friendly. Some may argue that Dapol should have gone the next step and added 1 red wire on the pick up, I disagree I cannot see the point.

All in all the main part that I work with has being very well engineered, I always considered the Dapol 67 a superb piece of engineering that would be hard to beat well Dapol have set a new bench mark with their HST. A lot of thought has gone into this and I like the little touches, foam dampening around motor. It will help to reduce noise and vibration. As far as the standard modeller is concerned adding a decoder will be very easy. The body comes off readily with minimal pressure and their is plenty of room for decoder of choice.

Lighting is great with head lights and red markers on each unit. Pick ups are stiff so you will get good constant positive contact from both bogies. The dummy will require a separate 2 function decoder to get the full effect in DCC. I ran it in for 1 hour on DCC on the rolling road and then put her through some paces on a small loop I have for testing with some points. No problems at all considering it has bounced all over the place as hand luggage. The motor pulls about 150mA after about 1 hr running in.

Highly recommended I will give this a 9/10 as Dapol have really made an effort here to get it right. I have put a fair few through their paces and no running problems, actually little to note at all. If your unsure go and have a look at one in a hobbyshop you will not be disappointed.

Summed up simply with "Outstanding"

Cheers

Martin

hiffano

Re: Dapols HST the wait is over, its here.

Postby hiffano » Fri May 13, 2011 2:01 pm

well, the wait is over for you maybe, not officially with stockists here in the UK.

I am waiting for one in ICE livery, and "maybe" a XC one too
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi

Rails of Sheffield and Hattons have them in stock but not the liveries you want. I only put this up once I knew they were on their way out to customers.

Cheers

Martin

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Fri May 13, 2011 3:21 pm

lol, yeah I went on hattons after readin this and indeed they are in stock, but as you say, not my liveries. I can wait :-)

btw, thanks for your review much appreciated

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Fri May 13, 2011 6:56 pm

The mouldings certainly look good and well detailed. I'd like to see an FGW blue variant.

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Mon May 16, 2011 4:17 am

Very nice models! :D. I am so glad I have an N gauge layout, so I will probably indulge in the Virgin Trains pack at the end of the month ;). I hope Dapol does the GNER HST as well and when they do the Buffet and the TGS, I should have a full HST rake in N scale to show off on my layout.
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

CaptainElectra

Postby CaptainElectra » Mon May 16, 2011 8:20 am

I do wonder if Dapol will be doing any "historical" TOC liveries, such as GNER or Midland Mainline, as they may struggle to sell - particularly if they produce the trailers. It may be better to respray a pair of FGW power cars when they appear and use Farish Mk3s.

IMHO, the Farish Mk3s excellent models when fitted with BR Lines interiors, though they lack the close-coupling and light-bar facilities.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon May 16, 2011 4:59 pm

CaptainElectra wrote:The Farish Mk3s excellent models when fitted with BR Lines interiors

I have a palette of colours for these interiors
However I have noted the interiors do not match up with the newer BachFar Mark 3 coaches, the windows are in slightly different placements
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Mon May 16, 2011 9:46 pm

Looks like I will be doing a video review of one at some point ;).

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon May 16, 2011 10:32 pm

Can someone compare the windscreen wiper to the real thing please...
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 am

m8internet wrote:Can someone compare the windscreen wiper to the real thing please...

heheheheh, screw the body, i wanna know about the wiper ;-)

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Tue May 17, 2011 1:23 pm

anyone able to comapre one to the farish model?

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Tue May 17, 2011 2:27 pm

hiffano wrote:anyone able to compare one to the farish model?
Does this help?
43081 at Nottingham by class60008, on Flickr.
I took this at Nottingham in early 2008.

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Couple of pics of my Farish hst for comparison

Farish isn't DCC ready and has no lights - just transferred on. Compared to the Dapol it's clearly inferior in detail but it was a lot cheaper!

C. :)

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue May 17, 2011 9:00 pm

ChrisWV10 wrote:Couple of pics of my Farish hst for comparison

Farish isn't DCC ready and has no lights - just transferred on. Compared to the Dapol it's clearly inferior in detail but it was a lot cheaper!

And they've got the yellow part of the livery wrong on that model; it should extend right down to the pointed nose and across to the top angled edge of the side cab windows. Oh, and the front window is incorrectly positioned; the top should be in line with the orange cant rail line - not leave a wide yellow band above it.

G.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”