Locsound.....no Sound

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Nightraker

Locsound.....no Sound

Postby Nightraker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:17 pm

Have a N Gauge V2 (Coldstreamer) with Locsound converted A4 chip and speaker fitted (Olivias Sound)....purchased second hand, been brilliant for the past week.......running last night.........the room whent quiet......A4 still running.........No sound........can a combo chip sound go down and not the whole thing...how do you check this baby out??? all wires look in good fettle...speaker wires ok......any Idea's chaps and lassies.........Interesting????? :( :( :(
Last edited by Nightraker on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is full of ups and downs....I cannot wait until I enjoy some ups

Flashbang

Re: Locsound.....no Sound

Postby Flashbang » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi
Starting from basic, have you tried turning the sounds On?
'F1' is the normal sound On/Off Function button.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Nightraker

Postby Nightraker » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:33 pm

Hi Flashbang....signing you up as a friend on here.....yes F1....then right through to F11.........all had something sounding....coal shovelling, break sqeal, Gaurd whistle, Steam Whistles blowing off steam ...the works..........just gone..........Stu :( :( :(

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:31 pm

Hi
Oh dear, not so good then!
You can only look carefully at the decoder and check its sitting correctly and not able to touch anything once the body is replaced and check all wires are intact loco to decoder. But as the loco is running correctly its got to be a sound only issue. Broken wire, damaged PCB or component, amplifier has gone, perhaps even all the Sound CVs have been lost??
BTW I assume CV63 (main volume) is set to something over 50. Normally it has a maximum of 64.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

SRman

Postby SRman » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:55 am

Or possibly the speaker has failed. That would be the cheapest and easiest component to test and replace.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi

Before you go pulling out the speaker I would suggest giving it a test first. If it is a 16x25mm speaker and you set your multimeter to the ohms settings (looks like a horseshoe). You should read between 95to 105 ohms 100 being ideal.

If they have put 1 round speaker in 13 or 16 diameter you will get a reading of between 47-53 ohms 50 being ideal. If the have 2 round speakers look for a reading around 100 ohms.

If the speakers tests OK set your multimeter to AC and see if you get any voltage across the speaker terminals. If you do thats good it may just be a CV that needs setting. As pointed out check 6v 63 and reset to 50 approx.

If the speaker is damaged and you replace it make sure you get one to suit the decoder with the right impedance.

If you miss the sound of your Farish A4 here is another Farish A4 with sound and lights on you tube to tide you over until yours is fixed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuATRsce0mo

Best of luck and I hope you can find the problem.

Martin

Nightraker

Postby Nightraker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Flashbang wrote:Hi
Oh dear, not so good then!
You can only look carefully at the decoder and check its sitting correctly and not able to touch anything once the body is replaced and check all wires are intact loco to decoder. But as the loco is running correctly its got to be a sound only issue. Broken wire, damaged PCB or component, amplifier has gone, perhaps even all the Sound CVs have been lost??
BTW I assume CV63 (main volume) is set to something over 50. Normally it has a maximum of 64.

Hi Flashbang Right.....CV63.....reads 64.....so I will re-write it to 63..just as a test then back to 64 ...because this is a whole new learning curve for me....if there is no joy I'll try the ohms test .....not writing the chip off.....but I suppose these things do fail eventually
and not knowing the history.....its always risky buy off ebay....but it was cheap considering the cost of the Engine, Chip, speaker and labour fitting it....I still have a nice working unit

Nightraker

Postby Nightraker » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:19 pm

SRman wrote:Or possibly the speaker has failed. That would be the cheapest and easiest component to test and replace.

Gentlemen .....I cannot thank you enough .....I am learning all the time and its through guys such as yourselves I am really getting to enjoy this hobby
It is the speaker......I removed it from the cab.........(I would have liked it somewhere else after seeing that A4 on YouTube)..as it was still powered on the test track....and F1 set on....my fingers must have disturbed the coil and it gave the Blast of Steam....it must be a split diaphram......so Ill have to look into purchasing a speaker.....any thoughts????........................thanks Guys.........Your all on my friends list...........cheers............Stu

SRman

Postby SRman » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:30 am

I have purchased a good many speakers of various types and sizes from DCC Supplies but any ESU dealer should be able to supply the standard ESU speakers.

While you are fiddling around it may be worth experimenting with bass reflex or bass enhanced speakers as these often sound better with the more bass outputs common to steam engines. Speakers each cost around the 5-7 GB Pounds mark.

On the other hand, I fitted a 20mm round standard ESU speaker into my Hornby West Country and this just fitted behind the smokebox door. The WC body acts as a bit of a sound box so it is not too bad for volume and the sounds come from the "right end" of the engine! The A4 may well show the same characteristics.

Welcome to the slippery slope of sound locomotives!! More a black art than a science (though there is some of that thrown in too!). :twisted:

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi

I dont think any of those speakers SRman suggested will fit, it is n gauge and a 20mm is wider than the loco.

Cheers

Martin

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:22 pm

I had forgotten that it was N gauge but even so, the smaller speakers may fit - I think ESU go down to 16mm dia. but don't quote me on that. On the other hand, how much space is in the tender? The advantage of the LNER Pacifics is that they had those nice big four-axle tenders! Maybe a decent speaker could be fitted into that.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:46 pm

SRman wrote:The advantage of the LNER Pacifics is that they had those nice big four-axle tenders! Maybe a decent speaker could be fitted into that.

Are they not tender drive?
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

SRman

Postby SRman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 am

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
SRman wrote:The advantage of the LNER Pacifics is that they had those nice big four-axle tenders! Maybe a decent speaker could be fitted into that.

Are they not tender drive?

D'oh! So much for that idea! I am a fish out of water with N gauge, I'm afraid. :roll: Still, that means there must be some room in the locomotive somewhere, although I would imagine there would be some sort of weight in there as well.

At home, I have a pair of small ESU speakers that are intended for smaller installations (ideal for the OO scale Bachmann class 20), these are intended to be wired in series and are each of 50 ohm impedance. I'll dig them out and see what diameter they are. As I said before, it is worth experimenting a bit but the N gauge proportions do constrain your choices somewhat.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi

It is loco drive, if you watch that video of the farish n gauge A4 it will answer your questions. It will take 13mm, or 16mm or 16x25mm. You can get a 16 x 25 into the tender that what I put into the one on the video.

For those that didnt see the video it is fitted with duel working smoke generators, firebox flicker, express lights and a tender light plus she weights more than the original. All in a n gauge farish loco.

Cheers

Martin

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”