Train Length Info.

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
TMDFan

Train Length Info.

Postby TMDFan » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:51 am

Morning Guys & Gals

Just a quickie.

Does anyone know where I can find details of Dapol/Farish/Peco Loco, DMU & Wagon lengths?

I have been trawling the Net looking for info to try and work out siding and platform requirements for my test shelf but I don't seem to be having any luck.

Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Best Regards

Les
All Tickets & Railcards Please

klaatu

Re: Train Length Info.

Postby klaatu » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:12 am

The Hattons web site is good for this, as they usually have photos with a ruler alongside.

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:03 pm

Yep, it often easier to find the length of the real loco/coach/wagon (from the web, books, etc.) than the model, but knowing that it is easy to calculate the model size simply by dividing by 148.

G.

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:56 pm

You also then need to allow for the couplings and other bits of non prototypical gap. For some of the older models I'd also go with checking the ehattons pictures first given they were often 'adjusted' to fit a standard chassis.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:37 pm

These days most modern produced stock that is available in the shops is pretty accurate with regards to scale. Sure some of the very much older stuff was an abomination but in general these days it is pretty much correct and anything with a 'Blue Riband' (Farish) or 'Platinum' (Dapol) label will be very accurate. Any older stuff that was not fully accurate tended to be under-scale/under-length rather than over-scale and over-long.

With regards to coupling gaps just make an extra small allowance if you only know the real stock scaled down size. An allowance of an additional inch for every three of four coaches would be more than sufficient but don't forget that, again, the newer stuff has auto close coupling mechanisims and the stock will push up closer to scale when standing at a platform (particularly a terminus). Peco wagons claim to couple together a scale distance apart. However, even if you have stock with huge coupling gaps you will soon want to 'close' it up and reduce the gaps to look more realistic (particulally in comparison with any newer more accurate stock) and there are plenty of ways that can easily be acheived.

There is also some advise (including lengths of trains) in the N Gauge Society handbook to help with layout planning. It's very advisable to join the NGS and as a beginner or an experienced railway modeller you will find it very worthwhile; http://ngaugesociety.com/

G.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:40 am

Just remembered (and double checked) that the Farish brochure includes the length of all their locos, MUs, wagons and coaches, and the height, width and length of their Scenecraft buildings; so perhaps it would be advisable to purchase a copy.

G.

TMDFan

Postby TMDFan » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:30 pm

Grahame

Many thanks, will have to M/O a copy as there are no shops left in my area.

Best Regards

Les
All Tickets & Railcards Please

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”