Dapol Class 66 (new tooling version)

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
[qifop]

Dapol Class 66 (new tooling version)

Postby [qifop] » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:58 pm

Hi,

Purchased a Dapol 66 (66152) which I received today. Model looks great however it shorts on all of the points on my layout (Peco Setrack). It appears the profile of the wheels are much wider than any other loco I have (nearly all my loco's are Dapol). Anyone else had similar experiences? I will send this back tomorrow just thought it must have been noticed before as im sure 70%+ of N modellers are using Peco Setrack? Or do I have a faulty loco.

Basically the wheel is so wide when it goes through points (not set) it shorts the 2 inner rails on the frog??

Shame as now need to work out what other Dapol models are similar.

The model although DCC ready does not have room to fit a 6 pin decoder on it also, if I was keeping the loco I would need to get a harness and put the decoder elsewhere as with it directly in the socket the shell does not fit back on properley. This is something my Dapol 67 also suffered from though.

m8internet

Re: Dapol Class 66 (new tooling version)

Postby m8internet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:16 am

Presumably this is the same chassis as the later DCC ready version
I noticed that three of the wheels have a slightly different "unrealistic" look to them, compared to their earlier DC version
However, all of mine work as expected on both Peco Setrack and Streamline

There is loads of room for a 6 pin decoder, what decoder have you tried?
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

[qifop]

Postby [qifop] » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:36 am

Decoder - normal bachmann 6 pin decoder (iro £12.50) jobby.

Yes the wheels are a bizzarre thing, I had hoped someone else may have experienced it. Perhaps I just have a dodgy model. As its setrack I cannot see it being my layout and its not even after a bend, besides which it does it on all of the points.

See what said Liverpool model shop have to say, i've asked if they can compare a stock model to the Dapol 67 for example which has much much narrower wheel sets.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:05 am

I don't have any problem with the Bachmann 36-558 decoders in my three Dapol DCC Class 66s
However, if the body is round the wrong way (but it is incredibly difficult to do that) it won't refit properly

Equally, no such problems on either Peco Streamline or Setrack points

Remove the decoder, return to DC, and return to the shop for exchange

[qifop]

Postby [qifop] » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:13 am

Yes just waiting for an RMA number, just was hoping someone else had similar experience. Its most odd. The decoder if I had messed around long enough in hindsight would have prob gone in, but as I run my loco's in, in DC mode didnt do too much with the decoder as this other problem was immediately apparant during run in.

Cheers, I've emailed Dapol see what input they have. If I compare the wheels to my Class 153 (Dapol) they are almost twice the thickness and sit much proud of the running rail.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 am

If you are not installing the decoder on DCC, then why worry about it not fitting in?

[qifop] wrote:If I compare the wheels to my Class 153 (Dapol) they are almost twice the thickness and sit much proud of the running rail

Yes, as I mentioned above three of the wheels look completely different on all three of my DCC Class 66 models, that is the way they have designed it

[qifop]

Postby [qifop] » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:53 am

I run in all locomotives in DC mode first when purchased. After the run in I would have wanted to fit the DCC decoder, however when I had the original fault appear I did fit the decoder to check if it did it with that fitted (as I have found other DCC ready models do strange things on DCC layouts without the decoder fitted (using the controllers built in DC support).

Yes I am aware 3 of the wheels look different. Appearance doesnt really matter so much its more the fact they sit proud of the running rail and short out the track. It is only the one set of wheels which does short the track out (2nd axel, leading boogie if you take the radiator grill as being the "front" of the loco).

Guess just a manufacturing fault. Cheers for your input.

[qifop]

Postby [qifop] » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:19 am

Dapol have come back to me (very quickly) with some helpful tips. Email as below.

Excellent support as always from them (good to see they monitor forums also!)

"Dear Sir,

Many thanks for your e-mail.

I noted your comments posted online on a forum and scratched my head.

Did you check the back to backs on the wheel sets? They should have been set at about 7.4mm and it will be interesting to see what they are when it comes back.

Can I humbly suggest investing a couple of pounds in a back to back gauge, which will allow you not only to check the distances on ALL your stock and locomotives it will allow you to accurately change them so that they are correct and also square on the axle.

Your technical enquiry I presume is have we had this problem before? The answer is yes we have but only on less than a handful of models.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards
Dapol ltd

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:29 am

I see the hint above, as to where the fault is

Try the loco in one direction and then then other
I assume it is just one bogie

As above, you will need a fine measuring tool or back-to-back gauge to push the wheels back into alignment

This is common when the Dapol Class 66 has been dropped

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:54 am

[qifop] wrote:Dapol have come back to me (very quickly) with some helpful tips. Email as below.
They should have been set at about 7.4mm and it will be interesting to see what they are when it comes back.

No wonder I have problems with Dapol models...
It is supposed to be 7.25mm

Time to invest in a Back-to-back for N gauge, at about £5 to £7

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:02 am

m8internet wrote:
[qifop] wrote:Dapol have come back to me (very quickly) with some helpful tips. Email as below.
They should have been set at about 7.4mm and it will be interesting to see what they are when it comes back.

No wonder I have problems with Dapol models...

The minimum for N is 7.4mm (NEM) or 7.54mm (NMRA). The latter is slightly wider in part because the minimum wheel thickness is 1.8mm v 2.2mm for the NEM standards.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:17 am

m8internet wrote:No wonder I have problems with Dapol models...

Nope, Dapol models are suposedly fitted with NMRA standard wheelsets and apparently the NMRA back to back recommendation for them is; min 7.54mm - max 7.7mm.
The 7.2mm BtB is for the old pizza cutting road rolling Farish wheels.

G.

[qifop]

Postby [qifop] » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:21 am

Yes just one boogie has this problem, when running in oposing direction the forward boogie clears the point work fine then shorts when the following boogie (offending one) hits the frog.

Its not been dropped.

Question now is, I will purchase said gauge anyway as sounds like a good piece of kit to have but attempt fix or return. Unfortunately RMA process from past experience with my retailer is not as quick as Dapol's support.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:17 pm

So why are the back-to-back gauges supplied in 7.25mm?

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:25 pm

m8internet wrote:So why are the back-to-back gauges supplied in 7.25mm?

Not all of them. You can get B2B gauges set for various sizes and you can also get adjustable ones. If it's a 7.2mm one then it's an old one - it's best to check them out with digital calipers.

G.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”