Graham Farish Class 37 DCC with Sound

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Wickness Modeller

Graham Farish Class 37 DCC with Sound

Postby Wickness Modeller » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:08 am

For interest I attach a link to a test run of a recent conversion I did on a Graham Farish class 37 using a Digitrax SDN144PS sound decoder. It is a modification on the recent n gauge journal conversion in that I have used the existing capacitor supplied with the decoder. It is very effective, the sound of course is a generic diesel track but a genuine class 37 one can be downloaded and then uploaded to the decoder. Test run here http://www.youtube.com/user/DStewart1011?feature=mhum#p/u/4/3DvFKaJLLaU
The difficulty in carrying out this kind of conversion is simply an extension of a standard split chassis Farish conversion with isolation of the motor terminals carried out first and then some fitting of speaker and decoder into the inner shell with the standard connections then made to motor terminals and pickup points before replacing the shell

I have a few photographs if anyone is interested

Douglas

Martin71

Re: Graham Farish Class 37 DCC with Sound

Postby Martin71 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi

Nice effort and well done Douglas. Anyone who can get sound into a n gauge loco is doing well. I think just about all the hobby shops knock it back simply because its to difficult. Did you have much trouble isolating the motor terminals?

Well done on that effort.

Cheers

Martin

red death

Postby red death » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Hi Douglas

I would definitely be interested in some pictures of how you did the conversion. I had the chance to see how someone had converted one of the new Farish 24s and 37s (along with 58, 66 and 67) to fit Loksound chips at the weekend - it looked much easier than I initially feared.

Cheers, Mike

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Hi

Where did you see them? How did they sound? Looks like their is a lot more n gauge sound out there.

Martin

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Wickness Modeller wrote:I have a few photographs if anyone is interested
Douglas

I'd be interested in seeing where you hid the original capacitor - on the Westerns I did I managed to do that but only by rebuilding the fuel tank and a speaker baffle and capacitor box

Wickness Modeller

Postby Wickness Modeller » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:50 am

In answer to the last question I cheated on the capacitor and squashed it a little in order to fit within the available space in the third shell compartment. It does work without problems though. I'm wary of being overtly commercial on new railway modellers as the conversion was commercial but here is a link showing photographs of the conversion from start to finish, it is something which could be done by anyone with the necessary modelling skills and shows just how accessable dcc sound can be in n gauge. I would very much like to see a test run of a similar model with the uploaded 37 soundtrack installed but unfortunately I do not have the necessary equipment to do this so if anyone can please let me know. The pictures are here http://www.wicknessmodels.co.uk/index.php?p=1_19_Farish-Class-37-With-DCC-Sound. They are separated into 2 pages so you need to view both. The white speaker baffle needs to be fully sealed with either superglue or plastic weld(dichloromethane) to ensure the sound is heard to its best

Douglas

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Douglas

I did a search for the class 37 with sound and found this n gauge 37 with sound. A truly outstanding effort in weathering, the loco looks first class and very realistic. The attention to detail is way beyond anything I could ever do. The only thing that tells you its n gauge besides the info is the coupler on the other end. As for the sound well you be the judge.

http://www.mercigstudios.com/buy_now/42/37292-sound-fitted-video-available

Impressive and brilliant is an under statement! As for the price worth every penny.

Martin

Postby 44007 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Douglas

Good job.

Have you tried fitting sound in any of the retooled versions of the 37 or any of the latest Farish models.... seems almost a shame to spend money on the old 37 as the base model is pretty awful looking compared to the retooled version. I guess due to the large amount of space in the old versions it is much easier.

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:14 pm

The newest ones are actually the easiest spacewise for the diesels. You do however need to do a bit of wiring of very small resistors.

Basically you remove the supplied board and decoder socket, wire the motor direct to the decoder and the track pickup direct to the decoder. The decoder/mini speaker will drop into the space freed up quite easily. However you've also thrown away the resistors for the lights so you need to wire some tiny 1KOhm or so resistors and the lights to the decoder light functions. Does give you better lighting control though.

Someone even got in a tiny pancake motor and rotating fan

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:50 pm

I will be calling douglas tonight to find out what farish locos can have sound and price, as this is a step forward for us 'n' gaugers. :wink:
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”