Which coaches do i need?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
bbdave

Which coaches do i need?

Postby bbdave » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:01 am

Hi i have a farish 37 in BR blue and would like some coaches i believe i need Mk1 blue and grey but could someone explain the 1st and 2nd corridor thing please?

Dave

SRman

Re: Which coaches do i need?

Postby SRman » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:55 am

"B" is used to designate a Brake coach - one with a guard's section with a handbrake, mostly with a luggage section as well.

Second class is designated by a letter "S" - most such coaches were classified as third class ("T") before 1957 (although there were a few second class coaches existing before that time as well, particularly on the Southern Railway/Region for boat trains).

First class is designated by a letter "F"

Coaches with more than one class are designated Composites, with a letter "C"

"Corridor" refers to the side gangway linking compartments and is designated by a letter "K" after the class reference ("C" was already used as above) - usually these coaches also have end gangways (corridors!) as well.

"Open" usually refers to a coach that has a central aisle running between the seating and is desigmated by a letter "O" after the class designation.

There are other letters used, particularly for Restaurant/Kitchen/Buffet coaches and also sleeping coaches.

Thus a BSK is a Brake Second Corridor coach, an FK is a First class Corridor, an SK is a Second class Corridor and a CK is a Composite (1st and 2nd class sections) Corridor coach. An FO is a First class Open coach while an SO is a Second class Open with two seats on one side of the aisle and one seat on the other for each seating bay and a TSO is a Tourist Second Open with two seats each side of the aisle for each bay.

For Mark 1 coaches that covers most of the common passenger carrying vehicles although catering vehicles are a minefield! The RMB (Restaurant Miniature Buffet coach is a commonly available model in both N and OO scales).

The BG (Brake Gangwayed) is also sometimes referred to as a Full Parcels Brake has no passenger accommodation but is often used in passenger train formations as well as in parcels trains.

There is a whole heap more that could be said but I think that this should be sufficient information for the moment - I hope it helps.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:07 pm

bbdave wrote:i need Mk1 blue and grey but could someone explain the 1st and 2nd corridor thing please?

1st is 1st Class seating
2nd is 2nd Class seating
There are two basic interior layouts, open and corridor

Your rake will also need one "brake" coach, which can be either a BCK, BSK, or BG

If you let us know the route the train is based on then we can assist with suitable coaches

My own rakes are based on those operating as Regional sets (which are now operated by Class 156 or Class 158 DMUs)
BCK-SK-SK-SK

InterCity services tend to have coaches with open layouts
However in the early 1990s many of these coaches were downgraded to Regional use
A few 1st Class open coaches remained with Intercity, for use on charter rakes
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

bbdave

Postby bbdave » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:31 pm

Ok thanks chaps it is clearer now i have no particular line just a layout but would like to be running the correct stock with loco's

Dave

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”