Coach Lighting

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
heda

Coach Lighting

Postby heda » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm planning to put lights in a couple of coaches and came across these, would they be a suitable colour for Circa 1950's ? They are a pretty good price and look easy to use.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Dave

EtchedPixels

Re: Coach Lighting

Postby EtchedPixels » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:29 pm

Save yourself a *lot* of pennies - go to rapid electronics and find the right 12v strips there (or low voltage ones if using a flicker fixer or similar)

heda

Postby heda » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:21 am

Found them, thanks for that, I think I'll give it a try, I wasn't sure whether to go for white or yellow lights.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:40 am

Hi

If your on a budget I would use them. I tried them and I was not happy, I found them too limited eg spacing and the lighting colour wrong.

Anyway I use DCC Concepts flicker free kits. For me far more flexible, I can get the correct lighting and spacing between compartments right plus they last for about 3-5 minutes without voltage....flicker free.

Flicker free in Dapol Gresley.

Yes that red is on but has being sitting without voltage for about 3 minutes.

As I said if your on a budget they will do fine and have many other uses.

Cheers

Martin

EtchedPixels

Postby EtchedPixels » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Martin71 wrote:Hi

If your on a budget I would use them. I tried them and I was not happy

Martin

The flickerfree is nice but not cheap. I still find it a bit odd waving a coach around or putting it in a box happily glowing.

The best approach I've found for the yellows is to attack them as needed with a bit of yellowish felt tip. The white to my eyes looks about right for the latest flourescent lighting although a bit "daylightish" for older "white" lighting.

heda

Postby heda » Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:14 am

Thank you for the input, I have looked at Flicker Free and good as they are, they really are out of my budget. So I reckon my best option is the strip of lights 'attacked' with a yellow felt tip. I guess if I'm not happy with them I can sell 'coaches with lighting' on ebay and probably make a profit ! :lol:

Dave

Mustermark

Postby Mustermark » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:41 pm

heda wrote:Thank you for the input, I have looked at Flicker Free and good as they are, they really are out of my budget. So I reckon my best option is the strip of lights 'attacked' with a yellow felt tip. I guess if I'm not happy with them I can sell 'coaches with lighting' on ebay and probably make a profit ! :lol:

Dave

Very probably - custom stuff sells on eBay at a premium at the moment. Good luck with the lights and I hope it works out how you like it.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Hi

You can, but with a bit of luck it will all work out for you.

The flickerfree is nice but not cheap. I still find it a bit odd waving a coach around or putting it in a box happily glowing.

ha ha yes it is a bit strange, but it stops that annoying flicker.

I just like the fact you get everything you need from pickups to lighting boards to do 6 coaches. In Australia it works out to be about $14.00 a coach or 8 GBP, but as I said if your on a budget go down the strip path.

Martin

heda

Postby heda » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:25 pm

Thanks again for the advice, I've ordered the strip lights, which I think will be adequate for my requirement, also been soldering some diodes together to convert the DCC (AC) current to dc, all seems to be OK there.

Quite an interesting little project as I am no expert by any means with electrics but I do enjoy playing.

Dave

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:17 am

Have a look here. This was oo and a stick of 5 only cost about £6.oo. Main thing to achieve is to keep any wheel friction to an absolute minimum or your loco wont pull. By the way yellow or warm white are the best leds to use for colour. Good Luck.[url][http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30827/url]
Last edited by beeman on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

heda

Postby heda » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Hi Beeman
Thanks for that, I had looked at that link when working out my best option, I've gone for the warm white lights from ebay on with the sticky backs, possibly not the cheapest option but one of the easiest, just stick them to the roof, supply 12v dc and job done.

I think for pick ups I will probably go for the springs that fit on the axle, pretty expensive but a lot less hassle.

I don't intend to put lights in all my coaches, probably only four, apart from my maid layout that I am still laying track on I intend to build a small Christmas layout and with a bit of snow, a few lit buildings and couple of coaches lit up should all look quite festive.

Dave

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”