Kato Eurostar coach lighting

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
klaatu

Kato Eurostar coach lighting

Postby klaatu » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:37 pm

Does anyone know if it's easy or even possible to fit coach lighting to a Kato Eurostar? Kato do LED kits, but I can't work out whether they will fit or not.

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

Martin71

Re: Kato Eurostar coach lighting

Postby Martin71 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi

Yes it is and its one of my future project a full lit rake with duel sound decoders in each power car. Kato build very good coaches that easily take lighting. The good part about the Euro star you can run wiring between coaches using plugs.

I used a product called Flicker Free from DCC Concepts. Most shops in the UK stock it. You can get the flicker free unit into a couple of coaches without any major problems. It also comes with the pick ups shown below just make sure you ask for the n gauge ones. If you take it one step further you can get FF2 which allows DCC control of the lights plus you still retain the "stay alive" feature.

The other options are Dapols lighting bar and a new product from Denmark, I think both which copied Flicker free.

I didnt use the led's that came with the kit for the Kato below I used SMD's instead, due to the others being viable.

The Kit Flicker free 1. FF2 has an extra green wire for dcc to hook up to your decoder.

Hope that helps.

Martin

klaatu

Re: Kato Eurostar coach lighting

Postby klaatu » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

I hadn't realised until I looked just now that the coaches don't have pickups already fitted. It seems to me that the Eurostar would be quite a bit trickier than the one you show, given the arrangement of the bogies. But I guess it's probably easier to run wires between the coaches, as you suggest, instead of fitting pickups.

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”