Ebay madness

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
cookiescrumble

Re: Ebay madness

Postby cookiescrumble » Mon May 02, 2011 9:27 pm

I'll_be_in_the_loft wrote:This seems a bit over the top to me. Unless of course those particular coach numbers are in short supply. From a seller who has been mentioned more than once in this thread too I believe.

3x Dapol coaches currently £82

Those 3 brand new from Hattons are £48 and they have loads in stock..... Muppets!
Follow my N gauge layouts progress here on my freewebs site: http://www.freewebs.com/mooringsway/

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Tue May 03, 2011 12:00 am

cookiescrumble wrote:Those 3 brand new from Hattons are £48 and they have loads in stock..... Muppets!

Sold for £88. Is there no end to this madness?
My ebay sales may be viewed by clicking HERE.
Feel free to place bids, GENUINE bidders only please.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue May 03, 2011 7:48 am

I wish these people would show up and buy my stuff for silly prices :roll:
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 am

TK421 wrote:I wish these people would show up and buy my stuff for silly prices :roll:

Its ebay so its got to be a bargain lol
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

cookiescrumble

Postby cookiescrumble » Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 am

I'll_be_in_the_loft wrote:
cookiescrumble wrote:Those 3 brand new from Hattons are £48 and they have loads in stock..... Muppets!

Sold for £88. Is there no end to this madness?

It appears not :( . I've had the same when selling some warhammer stuff a while back. I sold a £15 set for £18 :? . The photo even had the £15 price sticker on it :D
Follow my N gauge layouts progress here on my freewebs site: http://www.freewebs.com/mooringsway/

cmeonthemove

Postby cmeonthemove » Tue May 03, 2011 9:38 am

And yet I sold a *New* (as in new tooling version - hardly used) Farish mk1 brake for only £9.80 at the weekend. Mind you I did sell a pair of Poole HST 125 power cars for £41 (and one was stripped of gears and motor!).

montyburns1982

Postby montyburns1982 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:50 pm

cookiescrumble wrote:
I'll_be_in_the_loft wrote:This seems a bit over the top to me. Unless of course those particular coach numbers are in short supply. From a seller who has been mentioned more than once in this thread too I believe.

3x Dapol coaches currently £82

Those 3 brand new from Hattons are £48 and they have loads in stock..... Muppets!

I'm of the opinion there's some serious shill bidding going on. I won't bid on items from this particular seller for this very reason.
"The greatest fear is not that we set our goals too high, but that we set our goals too low and reach them" - Michelangelo

poliss

Postby poliss » Fri May 06, 2011 1:31 am

The bidding on that particular item looks more silly than shilly. Shill bidders rarely have more than one or two feedback numbers. The bidders on that item have feedback numbers in the hundreds. If you suspect shill bidding you should not name and shame on a public board. That could be construed as libel if you can't prove your suspicions. You should instead report to Ebay and let them investigate.

blooregard

Postby blooregard » Fri May 06, 2011 9:38 am

I agree with Poliss, that bidding looks fine to me. If you look at the bids a few low bids were placed early, then someone placed what they consider a realistic bid which was methodically outbid towards the end of the auction, then both of the high bidders placed final bids for the items.

From the models shops around me I can understand this kind of bidding, if you want to build up a realistic size train it can be difficult finding enough of a certain vehicle to build the full rake and for those last few vehicles you may pay well over the odds for them. I wouldn't have paid this much though!
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.

montyburns1982

Postby montyburns1982 » Sat May 07, 2011 9:27 am

poliss wrote:The bidding on that particular item looks more silly than shilly. Shill bidders rarely have more than one or two feedback numbers. The bidders on that item have feedback numbers in the hundreds. If you suspect shill bidding you should not name and shame on a public board. That could be construed as libel if you can't prove your suspicions. You should instead report to Ebay and let them investigate.

Libel only applies when something is stated as fact. Read my post again; note the word opinion.

Libel cannot be actioned against opinion. I'm not the only one who has vocied opinions about this particular seller on Ebay either.
"The greatest fear is not that we set our goals too high, but that we set our goals too low and reach them" - Michelangelo

poliss

Postby poliss » Sat May 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Opinion has to be backed up by facts and you have to be able to prove those facts. Defamation Act 1952, section 6. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Geo ... tification

The meaning is explained in a Supreme Court Ruling of 2010.
"Third, the comment must be based on facts which are true or protected by privilege: see, for instance, London Artists Ltd v Littler [1969] 2 QB 375, 395. If the facts on which the comment purports to be founded are not proved to be true or published on a privilege occasion, the defence of fair comment is not available."

"It is, however, plain that certain statements which might on their face appear to be expressions of opinion (as where, for example, a person is described as untrustworthy, unprincipled, lascivious or cruel) contain within themselves defamatory suggestions of a factual nature. Thus the law has developed the rule already mentioned that comment may only be defended as fair if it is comment on facts (meaning true facts) stated or sufficiently indicated."
http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/decided- ... dgment.pdf

silentwake

Postby silentwake » Wed May 11, 2011 9:18 pm

Ebay madness of the opposite kind here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HORNBY-RAILROAD-F ... 53e77ece55
Not N gauge I know, but everyone needs one of these lets face it.

matt-b

Postby matt-b » Tue May 17, 2011 7:41 pm

i sold dapols 67005 and 67006 as a pair in royal train livery for £370 on ebay :D

silentwake

Postby silentwake » Tue May 17, 2011 9:10 pm

That's ridiculous.

A GWR livery Terrier went for over 100 quid recently.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Wed May 18, 2011 12:04 am

Hi

Well done Matt Im delighted to hear that. Nothing wrong with making a healthy profit.

Excellent

Martin

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”