Building a 4-VEP

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
fratton

Building a 4-VEP

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:27 am

I am a southern lad, i live in bognor grew up mostly in gosport and started almost all my train journeys at portsmouth harbour,,,,

if i had to say there was one type of train that i truely loved it would be SR EMU's but unfortunately i am an N gauge modeller and the choice is sparse really its-N-gauge do a really attractive RTR but not at a price i can afford at the moment,,,,

this is where i need a little help and steerage,,,

so i have started looking into kits, unfortunately there isnt much in the way of pictures to halp me visualise what these kits entail, i have priced up the taylor precision models 4-VEP kit up at £50 including all detailing parts and motor kit, i see this as more realistic for my wallet

or a mix of electra graphics vinals and bh ends?

im split and dont know the pro's and cons of the different products,,

it states that they cannot be used with post 1990 farish coaches, i only started in N gauge last chrimbo so dont really know what that means as such could someone throw me a hint to what i should be looking to buy in the way of the donor carriages please?

also there is the BH enterprises kit, the one thing im not sure of is the painting, i want them to look as good as possible so id like to keep my dodgy painting exploits to a minimum,,,,

i dont know if these questions have been asked but i one day want to build my SR layout and i am only going to manage it if i DIY my stock (unless farish pull a SR EMU shaped rabbit out of their hat)

if anyone has anything of help, a link, a picture, referances anything to do with building a southern EMU in N please i would love to have my mind swayed and take a dive into the kit building/conversion scene,,,,,,,

fratton

Re: Building a 4-VEP

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:19 am

as a thought about the mk1's would the mk1 guv's res's and super bg's that i keep seeing on ebay be the correct mk1's to strip down??????????????
if so i think i know where i can get hold of some, and not too expensive either,,,

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:07 am

Options;

* BHE produce a complete 4-VEP kit that includes cast metal cabs ends, plastic profile bodies you build up, etched brass side overlays and their underframe details.

* The TPM inlays kits include fine resin cab ends that fit Farish mk1 coaches (the BHE cabs are not quite the same profile and do not fit well) and 'inlay' strips that fit in to the window recesses of older style Farish coaches (before they became a one piece complete moulded body).

*The third option is to use the later one piece Farish bodies (stripping down the paint to clear plastic) with ERG vinyl sides and TPM resin cab ends.

* Also take a look at Worsley Works etched kits; although they are for more experienced modellers and are considered scratch building aids they are exquisite.

* You could also use either Worsley Works or BHE etched sides painted and stuck to Farish coaches with TPM ends.

I'm slowly making another 4-VEP using TPM inlays and cab ends on old Farish bodies, Ultima truss rods and BHE cast underframe details. For pic of progress see;

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/blog/94/entry-4536-outstanding-projects/

And here's some of my BR/SR dc EMUs with 4-VEP third from right end;

100_0219 x.jpg
100_0219 x.jpg (31.36 KiB) Viewed 3878 times

G.

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:43 am

thankyou for your reply grahame, i shall have a little think and see what feels right, may i just say it is your brilliant work that inspired me to just take the dive and get on with my own SR set instead of dreaming about farish RTR versions, i am leaning toward the TPM route with the BHE underframe at the moment,

a fine fleet of stock you have there ive just found grahame's dining room table a good little read i must say and i shall keep an eye on it,

does anyone know any farish product codes for the right age of mk1 coach im searching for?

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:58 pm

If you can get a good guide and range of info here I'd love to have a go at this too

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:28 pm

Hoorah! another N gauge EMU fan ready to roll up their sleeves and get to grips with DIY :) (and maybe briantwigley too)

Well Grahame has answered most of your questions ...

For painting: Airbrushing is the preferred option I guess.
I did hand-paint mine and I don't think they look too dodgy. The key with either option is watch out for those little specs that always seem to appear in the paint but only get noticed once the paint has dried - when photographed they look like great big stones stuck on the side of your train :shock: I gave my unit a gentle rub down with wet-n-dry paper between coats.

Have you thought about motorising?
I believe broadly there are three options:
*Use a Greenmax or similar motor
*Get a motor from something like an RTR DMU
*TPM MU chassis details here

With the first two options you'll find various choices and you'll need to work out which is the nearest match to correct wheel size/correct distance between wheels to your prototype.

For the TPM chassis you have to source a motor and geared bogies from a Bachmann Plus or Spectrum F-7 diesel loco.

I used a GF 108 DMU motor for my EMU.

Needless to say I'll look forward to updates on this one :)

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:13 pm

I've looked at the TPM motor chassis as a start, I amconfused about the pre 1990's mk1's needed is it anyone I see that's old looking or is there something specific I'm looking for?

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:48 pm

For motorising a 63ft mk1 based EMU I recommend using a Bachmann/Farish class 170/158 chassis.They have adjustable bogie positions to form a correct 46' 6" bogie centres chassis with correct bogie wheelbase. The Jap chassis' have the wrong wheelbase dimensions for bogies and centres.

With regards to the Farish mk1 coaches to use for the TPM inlay conversion kits you need the old type with removeable window inlay strip.

G.

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 pm

Thankyou for the advice, I will build up the bits I need and set to work,,,, hope to have me a good looking project sometime soon,,,,,,,

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Just ordered myself 2-HAP and a 4-VEP from BHE... Looking forward to its arrival!

Ryan

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:31 pm

coolio, i'm going down the TPM route so we'll have both covered,,,, once ive saved my pennies and sent the order form,,,,,

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 am

I thought about buying some electra graphics overlays to use as a guide for painting, but I suppose photos would do just the same.

fratton

Postby fratton » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:39 pm

bump:

also for anyone who would rather buy a EMU than make one there is one listed on fleabay at the moment i had a small speculative bid but couldnt go very high,,,

the same seller is putting a non powered rake on too to make a full 8 car service acording to the listing,,,,,

Dale_the_noob

Postby Dale_the_noob » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:51 am

fratton wrote:bump:

also for anyone who would rather buy a EMU than make one there is one listed on fleabay at the moment i had a small speculative bid but couldnt go very high,,,

the same seller is putting a non powered rake on too to make a full 8 car service acording to the listing,,,,,

I was just going to link to that EMU.

Its using a Kato chassis for power which looks crap, but the rest of the EMU looks great

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:04 am

Dale_the_noob wrote:Its using a Kato chassis for power which looks crap, but the rest of the EMU looks great

Well, the bodies look nicely done, but the roof doesn't sit properly and no doubt hasn't been corrrected/updated in terms or ventilators and periscopes, and no horns are fitted, most of the bogies are wrong and they're fitted with the old fashioned road roller shiny pizzer cutter which need changing, and the underframes haven't been touched and are completely incorrect. But, apart from that, they'd make a good start to correct and improve.........

G.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”