Building a 4-VEP

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
storme37

Re: Building a 4-VEP

Postby storme37 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:05 pm

bet the ebay seller could not believe his luck he sold his motorized version the day before for £77 lol

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:26 pm

Recieved my electra graphics 4-vep sidestoday they are looking good, i sat and test stripped a mk'1 full brake shell that was on it's way to the bin and i think i am confident i can go out and get some regular mk'1s and strip them down, gotta get my BHE and TPM orders done now,,,

REFaust

Postby REFaust » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:16 pm

Would clear sided Mike Howarth 60' coaches work for this conversion, or do you have to have the early type Farish Mk1's?

R E Faust

CaptainElectra

Postby CaptainElectra » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:49 pm

The Mike Howarth clear shells are a bit short for the Mk1 conversions - it's better to get hold of some good-quality, recent-ish (Chinese made) GF Mk1s and strip them down.

If you're doing a VEP or a CIG, try to go for any coaches with the correct B4 bogies, then you just need to worry about the sideframes for the motor coach, which are available from TPM or BHE.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:49 pm

Well construction has begun but dont be fooled there wont be any whirlwind pace by me i'm afraid, i am keeping photo's and may do a little noobs guide to EMU construction later lol,,

Stripping has broken out today

And the carriage finished

i have my vinals waiting but i'm gonna have to email for a replacement because i got a little smudge of glue (i think) on one driving end when opening it then when trying to remove it with my finger nail scratched the detail from the transfer befor even getting it off the backing paper :oops:

For stripping i saw that nail polish remover was good but instead of dipping it i used patienceand brushed it on and used broken in half cocktail sticks to lightly take the paintwork off, the toilet window blanking on the inside is the most stubborn, ivealso shaved the door raised detailing and im quite happy with the result not too much scratching on the plastic,

does anyone know anything that might polish out the minor scratching at all?

ive started looking at chassis too and a greenmax one has caught my eye i will have to look around more still,

Also does anyone have any good outside and inside vep shots, the mk1 i used is newer and im thinking if im carefull the interior of the coach may be usefull and i could mabe model the interior on all but the power coach,,,,,

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:22 pm

Applied the first of my vinals today, looking good with a slight miss alignment causing the black at the left to show but im sure ill be able to fix it, have carved the interior for one of the driving trailer coposites and just need to build the cab boxing and paint, and the TSO is vinal'd and the roof vents have been re-arranged but the camera ran out of steam so only got 1 photo now just waiting for underframe detail,

im off down the local model shop at some point this weekend to get the next donar mk1 (or two) for stripping and need to cut a postal order for TPM on monday and get that sent,

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:48 pm

That looks excellent Fratton!
And thanks for the step-by-step guide so far, I'm sure a number of us will find it helpful and inspiring :)

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:24 pm

quick question grahame if your reading this the ultima truss rods do i want the mark 1 63 foot ones, there two types and i'mpretty sure its the longer ones but i would rather know before than make the mistake of buying the wrong ones,,

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 pm

fratton wrote:the ultima truss rods do i want the mark 1 63 foot ones,

Yep, 63ft ones for 63ft carriages. See the article in N'spirations2 regarding the fitting of them.

G.

fratton

Postby fratton » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:49 pm

thankyou grahame i've been sorting the to buy list today and probably after the holidays for the mail order items but hoping to order the truss rods this week,,,, Bought them like 15 mins after this post couldn't resist them

fratton

Postby fratton » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:45 pm

a bit more work today,,,,,

My ultima truss rods (soon to be eteched pixels truss rods) arrived this morning and wow! ive worked with a couple of around 00 gauge etches but nothing this small, good job i had a dinky pair of pliars and a steel rule ready for the bending and assemly,,,

rods on the underside,

and put together ready to go back in the box until after chrimbo when i will get my TPM and BHE orders done after the holidays

loved the level of detail on these truss' and what a differance in appearance to the original farish moulding,,,,,,,

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:40 pm

Keep the updates coming - all looking good so far :)

GROTLAND

Postby GROTLAND » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:59 pm

That's some mighty impressive work on the frame Fratton. I've heard of of these vinyl sides before but never seen them; looks great and I can imagine the potential for building up big rakes. I'll be seeing how you get on with this EMU.

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:15 am

Very nice. I had to stop myself bidding on the NSE one on ebay recently...

Ryan

fratton

Postby fratton » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:46 pm

me too but im finding this more fun and rewarding, i'm quite happy to take it slow as i dont have a layout to run it on at the moment as im between layouts so to speak, but by the time milton yard 2.0 is up and running it should have a 4-vep ready to tryout the third rail im planning on putting in place,,,

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”