Building a 4-VEP

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Dale_the_noob

Re: Building a 4-VEP

Postby Dale_the_noob » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:28 am

There was me thinking it wasn't too bad :lol:

storme37

Postby storme37 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 pm

im in the process of building one its not the best iv seen as it was just built out of mk1 coaches but it runs great and im pleased with it and they are cheap to build.

storme37

Postby storme37 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:36 pm

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:47 pm

Grahame wrote:
Dale_the_noob wrote:Its using a Kato chassis for power which looks crap, but the rest of the EMU looks great

Well, the bodies look nicely done, but the roof doesn't sit properly and no doubt hasn't been corrrected/updated in terms or ventilators and periscopes, and no horns are fitted, most of the bogies are wrong and they're fitted with the old fashioned road roller shiny pizzer cutter which need changing, and the underframes haven't been touched and are completely incorrect. But, apart from that, they'd make a good start to correct and improve.........

G.

thats what i thought when i saw it, i have bought two of the 4 mk1's i need and am about to order my vinals and i shall be sorting out a order to TPM and BHE soon to get the detailing bits and bobs, work is still slow to stopped at the moment regarding modelling as i haven't got the house just right first,,, still need a chair for my worbench in the livingroom (the mrs calls it the desk in the corner as its as yet unused little does she know :) )

storme37

Postby storme37 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:37 pm

where do u order vinals

fratton

Postby fratton » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 pm

http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk/

give this address a try a wide range of vinal overlays for farish coaches and for EMU conversion ive just ordered my 4-vep in NSE this evening

storme37

Postby storme37 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:22 pm

cheers thanks

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:34 pm

Grahame wrote:
Dale_the_noob wrote:Its using a Kato chassis for power which looks crap, but the rest of the EMU looks great

Well, the bodies look nicely done, but the roof doesn't sit properly and no doubt hasn't been corrrected/updated in terms or ventilators and periscopes, and no horns are fitted, most of the bogies are wrong and they're fitted with the old fashioned road roller shiny pizzer cutter which need changing, and the underframes haven't been touched and are completely incorrect. But, apart from that, they'd make a good start to correct and improve.........

'....... but at £15 per coach (it's now up to £60 on ebay) it's becoming rather expensive for what is basically four very old Farish coaches with transfers on the sides and cast cabs stuck on the ends. Just buying new wheel-sets to bring it up to modern standards plus the extra expense of finishing it off; Ultima truss rods, BHE underframe details and TPM pick up beams and horns it going to make it a dear proposition. I'd rather spend the money on four new Blue Riband mk1 coaches. :)

G.

CaptainElectra

Postby CaptainElectra » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:56 pm

I'm not sure that everyone would want to go all the way to create an EMU with etched underframe trusses, etc. I've seen some excellent units built up that are nothing more than four stripped Mk1s, vinyl sides and ends and sitting on a Jap chassis.

With my EMU instructions, I recommend a list of suppliers and detailling parts but the disclaimer is "how much you want to do is up to you!".

Grahame's units are an inspiration and show what can be achieved with the necessary parts, time and skill.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

storme37

Postby storme37 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:04 pm

i just did it the cheap way for the fun of it as an experiment. i think i will be able to do it better next time no more acrilic paint its to thick. but i feel each time i build one it will get better i fancy doing a southern green one soon.

fratton

Postby fratton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:45 pm

ive decided to try do things as real as possible, i have totted up the cost of the underframe detailing and bogie replacements and such and its still only £37 quid for the detailing bits and bobs (including tpm motorising chassis) i've definately been drawn to making my EMU than ebaying i think i'd rather be in it from the start than take someone elses work and finish it, im still going with vinals because my painting technique is awful but have a friend who will spray my cab ends for me,,,

in fact that reminds me adam if you see this you have an order email :)

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:52 pm

I think you're right Fratton to DIY rather than eBay. You'll learn more, and the finished product will be your own work rather than half someone else's.

I'll look forward to updates on your project :)

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:21 pm

fratton wrote:ive decided to try do things as real as possible, i have totted up the cost of the underframe detailing and bogie replacements and such and its still only £37 quid for the detailing bits and bobs (including tpm motorising chassis)

Yep, the detailing bits shouldn't be too expensive but with a TPM MUM you've still got to buy a Spectrum American loco for the donor motor and bogies. However, you can get away with roof vents by cutting off the exising ones and gluing them back on in the correct places. Other basic costs to do it properly are;

4 x Farish coaches (secondhand) ; approx £40
12-16 x new PR25 wheelsets; approx £11
TPM cabs; approx £3 per pair
TPM horns; £1.75
TPM pick up beams; £1.50
4 x Ultima truss rods; £20.90
Set of buffers; approx £2.50
Dummy buck eyes; approx £1.50
BHE underframe details; approx £7
TPM MUM and donor loco; £10 plus approx £25 for loco
or Class 158/170 chassis; approx £30
TPM Mk6 motor bogie sideframes; £2.50

Plus it's a matter of how you do the sides; brass/nickel silver overlays from BHE, TPM or Worsley Works, TPM inlays (if you have the old removeable inlay strips) or vinyl overlays from ERG. Then you've got paint, glue and other consumables. But you'll end up with a top notch 4 car BR/SR EMU.

PS - and that unpowered one on ebay went for £90.

G.

fratton

Postby fratton » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 pm

i was about to ask about motorisation of the TPM chassis i will keep an eye out for the motor parts,,,

with the alternative 158/170 chassis is it any more difficult to add it to the mk1 bodyshell as the assembly of the TPM chassis looks like a job in itself,,

as for the one on ebay, i'd love to have more money than modelling skill, i'd just buy in and personallise all my stock,,,,,,,

CaptainElectra

Postby CaptainElectra » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:06 pm

Ninety quid?? Blimey.

Once I get the push from the "day job", I can see many evenings spent with brasso and sticky vinyls :D
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”