Am I being a bit dense?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
hiffano

Am I being a bit dense?

Postby hiffano » Wed May 26, 2010 11:02 am

I was thinking of adding a cross country HST to my future plans, but I can't for the life of me find any extra coaches for sale anywhere. Have they sold out? can i get some kits... any advise appreciated!
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

klaatu

Re: Am I being a bit dense?

Postby klaatu » Wed May 26, 2010 11:15 am

The coaches are in the GF 2010 catalogue. They are:

374-331 - TS
374-355 - TFD
374-380 - TCC
374-405 - TGS

According to the GF web site, they are due to be available Aug/Sept. I don't understand why, if the TS is in the box set, they aren't already available separately...

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed May 26, 2010 11:17 am

cheers feller, never even thought to look in future releases, doh!

pudzyp

Postby pudzyp » Wed May 26, 2010 12:27 pm

How good is the grafar hst set? I was after the x country one as well but does it have working lights?

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Wed May 26, 2010 12:53 pm

pudzyp wrote:How good is the grafar hst set? I was after the x country one as well but does it have working lights?

No, you'll have to wait for the new Dapol class 43 HST125 power car set for a decent modern one with lights. But what's with the obsession for lights on everything at the moment on this forum. Are people planning to run their stock only in the dark? :P

G.

pudzyp

Postby pudzyp » Wed May 26, 2010 1:30 pm

i dont think its an obsession, just like lights on my locos :D

I think it adds a little bit more realism to them

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed May 26, 2010 1:46 pm

I may never use lights, but IF I need them, then i'll be glad i have them lol.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Wed May 26, 2010 3:48 pm

They would be a bit more realistic if they were about a quarter as bright as they are. High intensity headlights are one thing, but marker, headcode and tail lights really do look crap when they're as bright as a headlight and usually the wrong colour. To me they spoil a model more than it having daft livery mistakes because they are so bright you can't not notice them. Its all well and good saying turn them off, on DCC you can do that (and I do), but if you use DC you're stuck with them. Don't get me wrong, I'd welcome lighting in models if it was done as well as Continental models, but on UK models it isn't even remotely good enough.

Back on topic (lighting is a big pet peeve of mine), the Farish HST was ok for its time, but its really getting long in the tooth and it only represents certain class members due to the guards compartment layout. I'd wait for the Dapol model to surface as it should be far more comprehensive in its representation of class 43 as a whole. CAD images have been released by Dapol so it should be with us within the next 12 months going by past performance.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Thu May 27, 2010 9:09 am

Zunnan wrote:lighting is a big pet peeve of mine.

You might appreciate this then;
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... entry=2903
:wink:

G.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 pm

Yes, I've read that and agree with every word :lol: I used to sit on the public footpath crossing in Sutton Park at the end of a 3 mile long dead straight section of line until it started to go dark, and until high intensity headlights came about you couldn't see the marker/headcode panel lights even at dusk until it was practically on top of you. The cab lights appeared brighter if they were turned on. I remember light engine moves through the park where someone travelling in the rear cab had the light on as they read the paper.

I'm starting to think about experimenting with paint to correct the intensity and colour of light being emitted from the tail lights (clear or a deep red on the lens to darken) and headcode panels (pale yellow to dull and change the blue/white emitted LED colour perhaps), but I think theres going to be little that can be done about that crap orange Farish use in a few marker lights, especially those on the 47's which didn't have frosted off-white lenses. The alternative is to change the LEDs, which I really don't fancy.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Thu May 27, 2010 12:53 pm

instead of paint, may be better trying inks, available from any wargaming supplier :-)

I suspect they would make a better finish than the paint, and be easier to manage.

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:42 pm

Well, there are things you can do= like weaken the brightness with dirt like paints ,to make them less bright ,which is what i, will be doing ,to my locos ,with blinding lights :wink:
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:56 am

Mmm I preordered the book set of 43194, 43118 and 2x FO MkIII and SO MkIII in BR Intercity Swallow. Looking forward to waiting :cry:

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:03 pm

hiffano wrote:I was thinking of adding a cross country HST to my future plans, but I can't for the life of me find any extra coaches for sale anywhere

The (Arriva) Cross Country HST coaches are NOW on sale
My local shop got a box (enough for three sets) and they were sold out within 3 hours of opening!
They wanted £18.00 per coach
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Sun Jul 18, 2010 7:48 pm

Bugged. Cant afford em yet, if they sell that fast may all be gone before I get any.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”