Bright future for N

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
bsa77

Re: Bright future for N

Postby bsa77 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:39 pm

Grahame wrote:
bsa77 wrote:I'm looking forward to seeing the 38xx 3-8-0 - sounds an odd design to me...

...... obviously never seen the tricycle type pony truck design, it's a bit like a Reliant Robin under the front of a loco. But then most kettles have that wierd tatty unfinished messy look. :lol:

G.

I'm going with some advance form of dynamo! Or maybe a single wheel fitted with fins to blow away the leaves that stop the present day tractors and hair dryers!!!

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:29 pm

So when is the Thumper due? Id be very interested in one but would have to use some modellers licence, maybe a train from Brighton :mrgreen: Also when is the 121 bubble car out as you can't pre order it yet.It is listed on Hattons etc but they have no price.Would defintely be interested in one in NSE.But what i want more than anything is a 50 to the same spec as the wonderful 47 :D However sadly this is a long way off along with the Western. :(
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:33 pm

bsa77 wrote:Shame Dapol's site is so hard to navigate on order to find details - and no 'email me information' as things develop.

I believe they have a newsletter you can sign up for (if you can find it). Or maybe it is a newsgroup (or maybe my memory is on the blink, I ca't remember).
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.
To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.
To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:35 pm

Grahame wrote:I don't actually recall Dapol promisng to do the class 22 in N gauge - they seemed rather reluctant when pressed on it.

I thought they initially announced that the N gauge version would follow the 00 one. Of course that is a while ago and things may have changed since. I would be very disappointed if they did not come out in N gauge as I have a soft spot for the little things, even if they did look like they were designed by an angry metal-welder with a grudge against anything that did not burn coal. :lol:
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.

To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.

To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:43 pm

I agree, I'd like one to. There is a kit around for one but it looks like a motorised cadburys miniroll :shock:

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:49 pm

I tend to disregard what Graham Farish and Dapol plan to release, as the time scales are never reliable, simply waiting until the stock actually appears

I remember many years ago Hornby promised a new loco and it was four years before it appeared in the shops
Lima launched the same loco a week later, it didn't even appear in their annual brochure, it was also vastly cheaper!
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:27 pm

I've just noticed something. (no, not that i need a shave) a lot of the questions surrounding when an item is available in N?

For the last couple of years, despite being far from being able to afford stuff for myself, i've seen images of 'soon coming' models in N, whereby 'Online' in a variety of outlets, the image of the product is actually '00' ?

Why i mention this is because i have never noticed anyone else mention this? And i'm fairly surprised to find myself to have not noticed it after all this time?

It could be that N models are getting that good that on various internet shops pages, some put in a order for stuff based on a picture of a 00 gauge model, say of a carriage or something, it turns up in the post, and is acceptable anyway?

I'm liking this. :D

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:51 pm

The shop MUST show the correct photo forthe item being purchased
If they show an OO gauge item and send you an N gauge item, then you could actually claim against them!
That's even if the description is for an N gauge item
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:55 pm

YA VOL MEINER FRUEND .... IST KORRECT!! but for the last few years, many have shown clearly wrong scale images? am i seriously the only clever bugger in the world?? (i also think not)

has no one seriously noticed the images of 00 gauge stock being punted as N?

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:00 pm

Yes, many times, Hattons used to be a good one for this but not sure if they still do it as not bought a loco from them for a while. Tension-lock coupling is always a dead giveaway :wink:

Paul

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:28 pm

You mean like this....http://www.ehattons.com/StockDetail.aspx?SID=32938 Is it not possible that that is the image supplied from the catalogue?

Though I do need a loco with tension-lock to pull the wagon I have with it :wink: It looks fit for purpose. :)
Stephen T

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:44 pm

In the case of pre orders (as the class 03 linked to) an N Gauge model doesn't yet exist, so whats the options for pre order sales? A prototype image or a comparable model, and it clearly states in the description that the item is not in stock and no date is yet announced for availability. :wink:

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:23 pm

Definately true Zunnan, i just wondered why i'd never seen it mentioned before on the forums? Realising that if a product hasn't jet been released as such but is expected, i guess a picture is nice to see, say of a real life prototype or 00 gauge equivalent? But more i wondered why no one had mentioned it before?

anyway, daft interlude :lol:

Mirrlees

Postby Mirrlees » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:10 pm

I think it is better not to show anything until pre-production models are available.

2 reasons.

1 is the N gauge model going to be as good or bad as the 00 one.

2 it will not too long before you can buy it.
Tim Hitch

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 pm

I can see problems with both points there :lol:

1: As the 'The next photo will have...' thread graphically showed, many modellers are absolutely clueless as to what some classes look like when referred to by text alone, to the point that the rules had to be changed banning requesting specific classes. Showing an image of the class the model is to represent leaves little doubt as to what it will be based on.

2: How long have we been waiting for, say, the class 101...10 years? How about the Farish 9F, or Ivatt 2MT, those were announced years ago as well without the slightest sign of even a pre production model. Many of the Dapol models promised for 2009 are still a long way off too. Just because a model has been announced, doesn't mean to say that we will be able to buy it anytime soon.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”