Mathieson Models

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
wobblybob

Mathieson Models

Postby wobblybob » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:56 pm

Has anyone bought any of the newly-launched Mathieson Models? Link: http://www.mathiesonmodels.com/index.php

And, if so, what is their opinion?

Deltic1981

Re: Mathieson Models

Postby Deltic1981 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:04 am

They look awsome hard to belive by the amount of detail giving there scaled up so much

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:07 pm

I read somewhere that it was thought that this was a special livery commissioned wagon from Dapol/Farbach (can't remember who). And I'm not so sure about the 'clear' couplings. With the many facets of the Rapido design catching the light like a cut diamond it tends to draw the eye to it.

G.

broadgauger

Postby broadgauger » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:15 pm

I am 'Mathieson Models' and would interested if anybody could supply any further information re the last comment that "this was a special livery commissioned wagon from Dapol/Farbach."

I have never had any dealings with these companies but have only just discovered the amount of information that gets exchanged on these forums! Thanks

Andrew Smith

Sprintex

Postby Sprintex » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:52 pm

Grahame wrote:And I'm not so sure about the 'clear' couplings. With the many facets of the Rapido design catching the light like a cut diamond it tends to draw the eye to it.

Have to concur with that Grahame, big and ugly it may be, but at least in black it does hide it a little bit :?

Paul

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:56 pm

broadgauger wrote:I am 'Mathieson Models' and would interested if anybody could supply any further information re the last comment that "this was a special livery commissioned wagon from Dapol/Farbach."
I have never had any dealings with these companies but have only just discovered the amount of information that gets exchanged on these forums! Thanks

The comment wasn't posted on a forum, but I have also heard it said at an exhibition. I, and I'm sure others, would be interested to hear of the background and pedigree of the model from yourself. We'd certainly then be in a position to offer accurate information and able to correct others who say such things. Cheers.

G.

wobblybob

Postby wobblybob » Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:14 pm

The detail looks astonishing. As for the clear rapido couplers, I suppose there's only one way to find out.... Just placed an order for a couple of wagons.

montyburns1982

Postby montyburns1982 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:24 pm

I think the clear coupling looks awful. With a bit of weathering etc the standard black one blends in quite nicely.

Seems like a lot of effort for such a niche market, but good luck with it anyway.
"The greatest fear is not that we set our goals too high, but that we set our goals too low and reach them" - Michelangelo

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:35 pm

montyburns1982 wrote:I think the clear coupling looks awful.

Yep, it does look very odd but It ought to be easy enough to change it. I wouldn't let the couplings put me off purchasing the wagon if it was something I wanted.

G.

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:07 pm

I've just this minute ordered a couple - I'll let you guys know what I think and how long delivery takes. Good luck to them though!

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:31 pm

First thing today they arrived - very good service in my book. Well packaged for the riggers of the postal system and very well presented.

Both models (the Bradbury and the United National) are very well detailed, very very smooth and well weighted. The couplings look a little odd on the desk but on they layout they disappear in a way that I wish the normal black ones would! I think on a brake van or a loco with nothing attached they might look weird but as part of a train they are great.

Good value? At about £2.00 more than a Farish/Dapol 7 plank wagon value could be questioned, however the extra detail, weight and smoothness more than makes up for the price. Postage seemed fair to me.

Would I buy another? Yes, without a doubt. Old china clay wagons would be high on my list if you are reading broadgauger.

The website has been saved to my favs. and I look forward to seeing more models SOON!

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:54 pm

bsa77 wrote:First thing today they arrived - very good service in my book. Well packaged for the riggers of the postal system and very well presented.

Both models (the Bradbury and the United National) are very well detailed, very very smooth and well weighted. The couplings look a little odd on the desk but on they layout they disappear in a way that I wish the normal black ones would! I think on a brake van or a loco with nothing attached they might look weird but as part of a train they are great.

Good value? At about £2.00 more than a Farish/Dapol 7 plank wagon value could be questioned, however the extra detail, weight and smoothness more than makes up for the price. Postage seemed fair to me.

Would I buy another? Yes, without a doubt. Old china clay wagons would be high on my list if you are reading broadgauger.

The website has been saved to my favs. and I look forward to seeing more models SOON!

Hmmm... On that review I think ill try a couple when i get paid next week. I hope they do a brake van or some pre-grouping/big four liverys :)

Vigo
Location: About 300 yards away from the old Woodhead line. Royston Vasey, Derbyshire

Postby Vigo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:15 pm

broadgauger wrote:I am 'Mathieson Models' .... etc

If you could do something more relevent to the Brent coal trains era then I'd be interested in buying maybe 15 or 20 of them. What I've seen so far from 'the knowlegeables' on here makes me very interested, maybe with a bit of dirty black on the couplings or maybe not, let's see :wink:

Can we arrange some kind of bulk buy discount? PM me if you're interested... business is business after all. (apologies if I've broken any more forum rules, I should be used to it by now)
Happily spending most of my spare time in the garage with my trains and a glass of Spain's finest :D

wobblybob

Postby wobblybob » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:09 pm

Collected mine from the local sorting office this morning, as I was away from home most of this week. Am delighted with the models and echo bsa77's comments. The detailing is superb and the wagons run very smoothly. Even though the wheels are finescale the wagons stayed firmly on the track, whether hauled or propelled, including through small radius Peco Setrack points in the layout fiddle yard. The clear couplings do look odd straight out of the box. However, within a train they are less obtrusive than the normal black rapidos.

I will certainly buy more of these and look forward (hopefully!) to other wagon types. I wish Mathieson success with this range.

Vigo
Location: About 300 yards away from the old Woodhead line. Royston Vasey, Derbyshire

Postby Vigo » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:58 pm

More than happy with the email I received regarding this. I feel an order coming on pretty soon.
Happily spending most of my spare time in the garage with my trains and a glass of Spain's finest :D

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”