Few questions regarding ballasting?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
ASFC

Re: Few questions regarding ballasting?

Postby ASFC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:53 pm

smallman28 wrote:
ASFC wrote:
bluechang wrote:ASFC - do i need to add anything else to the water, like a small drop of washing up liquid, or does that not matter?

Nope, just water. As you have already realised it isn't a quick job and new fishplates will be needed.

Add a drop of washing up liquid,not so much as to make loads of suds though :D
The washing up liquid breaks down the surface tension of the water,if you apply the PVA/water without it it will tend to form a blob,the washing up liquid helps it flow better.

I know, I was talking about lifting track that had been ballasted.

:)
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:59 pm

As I said before, thanks to everyone that has replied. The method has seems to work well, is spraying the board like I were ballasting the track, which has loosened the ballast sufficiently (after removing those blasted track pins) to slip an flat headed screw driver up underneath the track piece, which dislodged it and allowed it to be removed and into a bucket of water to be cleaned. In the time between this post and my last post, I have managed to remove and clean 10 pieces of track, all undamaged and able to be reused after replacing the fishplates.

one thing i have noticed with the track that has been removed and de-ballasted is that the rails sides and top have become discoloured - is this liable to be a problem when being reused?

craw607

Postby craw607 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi bluechang.
I tried PVA on cork strips for under track did'nt like it as felt
the cork soaked up the glue.B&Q have a cork adhesive but
takes time to apply about an hour before you can lay anything
ended up using double sided tape from same place found it okay.
John

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:18 am

Thanks for the input John (Aka craw607) When it comes to the cork matting, i will probably try for self adhesive cork sheets and failing that, I will try your method of using double sided sticky tape.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”