Dapol Class 66 Running Qualities

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
rabbitaway

Dapol Class 66 Running Qualities

Postby rabbitaway » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:59 pm

It would appear the Dapol 66 has a reputation for poor running, failures, being noisy and bad traction on inclines.

Can you guys let me know if the above is common.

I have a number of Bachann Farish diesels including two 66s and they generally run well and climb inclines with a load. The only experience I have with Dapol are my two 73s and they do run fine but are a bit noisy.

I understand that the latest version with the new type of motor is better but it is not easy to tell if the particular model is the new type

I usually buy my locos on eBay so returns unless very poor runners would be a problem

Should I stick with the Farish 66s?

Thanks
Last edited by rabbitaway on Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ste234

Re: Dapol Class 66 Running Qualities

Postby ste234 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:11 pm

I have a Farish 66, and have never had any problems with it. Have you checked things such as dirt on the wheels/in the mechanisms? these can quite often be a problem. and if the motors are anything like the ones in the voyager, well,they are quite noisy on corners!
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:28 pm

Thanks for the reply

The issue is not with my current locos as they all run well (all well maintained), but the experience others have with the Dapol 66. I do not have any of these currently but do not want to buy one if it is going to have running problems and will not take a loaded train up an incline
Last edited by rabbitaway on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:08 pm

I have a couple of Dapol 66`s with no running issues. Remember you will only find people posting when they have problems, few people post to say their loco`s are running fine!!

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:48 pm

rabbitaway wrote:It would appear the Dapol 66 has a reputation for poor running, failures, being noisy and bad traction on inclines.

That's rather an unwanted repution and is possibly a little unfair. Some of the earlier Dapol class 66s did have the odd problem but that was over four years ago now. Originally the Dapol version probably shaded it over the Farish one (which were both launched at roughly the same time) in the body detail stakes with etched roof grilles and range of liveries, while the Bachmann version is usually considered to have had the slightly better under-frame and chassis by being DCC ready.

However, the Dapol class 66 has had various interim upgrades since then and are even now DCC friendly. It is essential to oil and properly run-in Dapol locos but the performance of them is more than acceptable these days. Basically the choice is yours with little between them and tends to come down to the livery wanted.

G.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:34 am

Yes, the latest Dapol Class 66 DCC chassis is of rather poor quality
I recently returned one of mine for a full refund
I am not buying any more until they add some more weight to the chassis

I have therefore gone back to the BachFar Class 66 DCC version
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

smallman28

Postby smallman28 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:28 pm

The Dapol EWS 66 I had was awful :shock:
It might have been sat in the shop for a while but it would barely move when I got it and no matter how much I ran it over time it never seemed to loosen up enough to be a really good runner.
Also it didn't like my 9" radius corners,it stayed on the tracks but made a horrendous noise when it went round them.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:31 pm

smallman28 wrote:The Dapol EWS 66 I had was awful :shock:
no matter how much I ran it over time it never seemed to loosen up enough to be a really good runner.

Model railways tend not to cope very well under car tires mate :wink: :lol: :lol:
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:36 pm

smallman28 wrote:The Dapol EWS 66 I had was awful
It might have been sat in the shop for a while but it would barely move when I got it and no matter how much I ran it over time it never seemed to loosen up enough to be a really good runner.
Also it didn't like my 9" radius corners,it stayed on the tracks but made a horrendous noise when it went round them.

Sounds like the motor was at fault, very common on early Dapol DC Class 66, but so far not an issue on the latest version
So far I have had only one Dapol DC Class 66 completely fail, the motor having to be removed and replaced (ironically, a new chassis would have been cheaper)
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

aland45

Postby aland45 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:57 pm

Hi. I had 7 Dapol class 66s in various liveries and all were reasonable runners, if a little noisy when on the flat. It's a different story on inclines however. Mine just sat there revving nicely but going nowhere, whilst my Bachfar class 60 pulled almost anything up the slope. I rested a container weight on a loco and it climbed the slope with a 12 wagon load and with only a small loss of speed thus proving that the problem was lack of weight. Following contact with Dapol, it seems that some of the chassis was removed to accomodate the dcc printed circuit board thereby reducing the weight, so they couldn't offer any solution. It also seems to be unlikely that this issue will be solved in manufacture due to there being no room for adding extra weight. Since it was easier (and cheaper) to lose the locos rather than the inclines I don't have any Dapol locos anymore.
Another issue I experienced was bogies refusing to return to straight ahead from LH or RH lock. Removing the bogie & resetting the drive shaft seemed to cure this problem.
Hope this is helpful.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:15 pm

I have one of the Dapol 66's witht he new DCC chassis in DRS livery and it runs like an absolute dog. i have tried oiling it, running it on DC control for the run in time , but nothing seems to have made it run any better. If I could return it to Hattons for an exchange (to a grafar model) I would, but I think I may have had it too long - should really have dealt with it when it became an issue.

Any suggestions on what I can do with it?

edit - just sent Hattons an email asking for advice regarding whether I should return for exchange/refund or contact Dapol direct. if anyone can offer any other suggestions, i would be grateful.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:12 am

bluechang wrote: I think I may have had it too long - should really have dealt with it when it became an issue.

What do you mean by 'it became an issue'? That rather implies that once it was acceptable. So presumably something happened and you need to identify and isolate what it was that changed to make it become a poor performer- and then tackle that.

G.

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 am

Grahame wrote:
bluechang wrote: I think I may have had it too long - should really have dealt with it when it became an issue.

What do you mean by 'it became an issue'? That rather implies that once it was acceptable. So presumably something happened and you need to identify and isolate what it was that changed to make it become a poor performer- and then tackle that.

G.

It became an issue when i put the decoder into the model. By your comment, the only way to rectify what I have done is to run it under DC control. And for the record, the way this model has operated has never been acceptable, I just haven't had the time (with having 15 month old triplets) to do anything about it until now.

rabbitaway

Postby rabbitaway » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:25 am

Thanks for all the advice about the Dapol 66

I have stayed with the Grafar 66 and now have 3 in the fleet. They are all good runners but I do note that they are slightly noisier than my other new type Grafer locos (37, 45, 56 & 60).

I do have inclines on the layout so even if I was lucky to get a Dapol 66 as a good runner the inclines would be a problem

The only current loco that has difficulty on the inclines is the Grafar V2 with it’s plastic body but it will still haul a short train

My 2 Dapol 73's are fine on the inclines but they do have the weight.

I run a DC layout so the easy ability to fit a chip is not a concern

bluechang

Postby bluechang » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:23 pm

bluechang wrote:edit - just sent Hattons an email asking for advice regarding whether I should return for exchange/refund or contact Dapol direct. if anyone can offer any other suggestions, i would be grateful.

Have just this minute received an email from Hattons advising me to remove decoder and return the loco back to them and they will have a look at it. not mentioned what they will do however I suppose they will either refund or replace if they find a fault with it.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”