N gauge newbie

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Mountain

Re: N gauge newbie

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:20 pm

No idea how to make a DCC controller but I know how to make a very simple DC conteoller for my own requirements. Take a look at Flashbangs site. Not sure what the link is at the moment. He has lots of information on it and knows his stuff.

roganty

Postby roganty » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:49 pm

Michaelreedy71 wrote:In an earlier post I was told I can make a dcc controller ? is how.

As mentioned in an earlier post you can use an Arduino which connects to your track and transmits the DCC signal.

I was doing a bit of research for myself and I found a couple of systems, but the ones I found required a computer connected to use the system.

It all depends on what you want.

(In the end I came across a reasonably "cheap" Multimaus on eBay)
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:03 pm

The Arduino option does need a computer, which most people do nowadays.

You need an Arduino UNO and a motor shield, about £5 each and the free DCC++ sketch to load on the Arduino. Control software forvyhe computer could be something like the free JMRI. Once all connected you can even use your phone add a hand-held throttle.

Google DCC++ and JMRI, that will keep you going for some time.

As an alternative to building it yourself something like the Gaugemaster Prodigy Express would fetchcabout £75 on eBay.

Paul

heda

Postby heda » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:03 am

Basic Hornby Select DCC controller

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R8213 ... rk:13:pf:0

Dave

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:42 pm

Just a quick question if u lay n gauge and the rail comes off is it here a gadget to lay it back on .

Many thanks

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm

I've seen a Hornsby r8250 dcc controller and transformer got 20 pound not sure lol

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:43 pm

Michaelreedy71 wrote:Just a quick question if u lay n gauge and the rail comes off is it here a gadget to lay it back on .

Many thanks

I know with 00 guge the rails can slide back on the sleepers as long as the little railchairs have not had too much damage. In the past I have been known to glue them back on. Normally though, if the rail has parted and you can't successfully slide it back into its railchairs (And I'm assumingnit is the same with N gauge) it is time for a replacement rail. I didn't have this happen with N gauge or H0e rails which are similar but have had it happen many times with 00 gauge).

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Hi again plastic kits or card buildings ???

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 pm

Plastic or card? It depends on which you prefer. The only thing I will say that if you start in card stick to card to get a good overall effect. If you go for plastic stick to plastic if you can etc. Regarding card, is a good idea to check if mixing ready coloured card kits of different makes, that they look good together as some have different textures (E.g. some makes have a matt finish and some are more glossy).
It doesn't really matter if you mix diferent materials as it is your layout so it is your choice. However, aiming for consistancy can give a more pleasing result.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:40 pm

If using embossed plastics you need to be careful you need to paint with the mortar colour, then clean off the surface of the bricks otherwise you can end up with it looking as though they've just finished chiseling out for repointing, especially on the corners. The mortar courses will still be too deep but they won't look like unpainted plasticard.
If there's an unnatural sheen to the surface of a printed card kit, a light spray with matt varnish should kill the shine.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

heda

Postby heda » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 pm

I used kestrel (now Gaugemaster) plastic kits for my layout as I preferred them to card, but it took a lot of time and effort to get a reasonable finish the detailing is so small. I would say card is easier to use but in my opinion not as realistic.
So as with the dc vs dcc there is not a right or wrong, everyone has there own idea of what they want.
Take a look on the layouts under construction thread and see what appeals to you. Compare cost of plastic vs card, most importantly don't rush in.
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:50 am

Mind you, with the cost of some of those card kits out there today, some plastic kits maybe more attractive.
In 00 gauge there are some brill ready made resin buildings. Are they available in N gauge?

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:37 pm

Easy way to cut n gauge track ??? Would a dremel be ok.

heda

Postby heda » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:52 pm

Yes - I used a dremmel, worked fine. Be sure to get a square cut to the rail though. If you do cut the rail at an angle you can use a grinder in the dremmel to square it up.
Dave

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:56 am

Michaelreedy71 wrote:Just a quick question if u lay n gauge and the rail comes off is it here a gadget to lay it back on .

Many thanks

Nope. You have to slide it back in if you can.
Regards
Rob

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”