Layout Advice Please

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
sjgarth

Layout Advice Please

Post by sjgarth »

Hi,
Attached is my first draft of a layout for an N gauge board. It is not based on anything other than my imagination. The system will be DC as I cannot afford DCC. I have one train, but may get one other, but that is probably it due to cost.
It is designed using Peco settrack parts, no flexible track.
With your weathered eye, will this work okay?
To run two trains I was sort of imagining one on the outer rails and one on the inner and yard rails, going through two separate controllers.
Later I will have a go at planning the power for the system, and put that to your good selves for opinions as well, but for now, the general layout is up for comment.
Thanks
first track only.jpg
Yours
Steve
Mountain

Re: Layout Advice Please

Post by Mountain »

It will work fine. The two pairs of crossover points will need insulated rail joiners in between them to properly seperate one circuit from the other.
Just to make the plan more prototypical, you could add a headshunt, which instead of the short straight in between the inner mainline and the fan of dead end sidings, where you insert an extra point that points backwards, so shunting can be carried out independently to the mainline. If you want to do this you will also need insulating joiners inserted in much the same way as mentioned above and the headshunt area power is taken via either a third controller or via one of the other two controllers via the cab control switching method. (If you hear the terms cab control and common return... Cab control is where a layout can be seperate into electrical zones so any controller can switch in or out of that zone. Common return is a way to cut the amount of wire used to achieve this but some controllers are not suitable for common return wiring. However, all DC controllers can be used for cab control by using both poles of a double pole two way switch).
You dont have to include the headshunt idea. You can keep things simple as they are and it will all work fine. Just put the isolated joiners in between the crossover points and all will be good.
HarryR

Post by HarryR »

sjgarth wrote:Hi,
Attached is my first draft of a layout for an N gauge board. It is not based on anything other than my imagination. The system will be DC as I cannot afford DCC. I have one train, but may get one other, but that is probably it due to cost.
It is designed using Peco settrack parts, no flexible track.
With your weathered eye, will this work okay?
To run two trains I was sort of imagining one on the outer rails and one on the inner and yard rails, going through two separate controllers.
Later I will have a go at planning the power for the system, and put that to your good selves for opinions as well, but for now, the general layout is up for comment.
Thanks
first track only.jpg
Lol I was fiddling in Anyrail with a similar arrangement in 00 gauge last night, so I'll be watching your progress with interest. Best of luck in your endeavours.
sjgarth

Post by sjgarth »

I tried anyrail and was impressed, but it is limited to 50 pieces.
I had a go with SCARM and was very impressed, so that is what I am using.
Yours
Steve
HarryR

Post by HarryR »

sjgarth wrote:I tried anyrail and was impressed, but it is limited to 50 pieces.
I had a go with SCARM and was very impressed, so that is what I am using.
In a moment of wild extravagance a bought a copy 2 or 3 yrs ago for about £35, I'm on ver6 with a free upgrade to ver 7 when ever that comes. So 3 or 4 yrs for £35 seems like a good deal for the amount of time I've wasted playing with it :lol:
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

I have Hornby track planning stencil, and somewhere I have two packs of Hornby ¼ scale track planning symbols somewhere! :lol:
They are good for 00 gauge. Not sure about N. :D
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

sjgarth wrote:Hi,
Attached is my first draft of a layout for an N gauge board.... but for now, the general layout is up for comment.
Thanks
Hello sjgarth
Can I ask the size of board you show, along with the radii of the curves?
I understand you already have one train: how long is that?

Unless already purchased, it should be noted that setrack points are to a very old design and a steep curve and the usual recommendation (not rule) would be to consider better points from the start.

On the track plan you have a common problem with small boards: with the 4 track section there is not enough width to add platforms.
There are a couple of ways around that.

I'll see if I can find a sketch, or make one.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
sjgarth

Post by sjgarth »

Hi,
The board is not built yet. However the track is just under 1300 x 600mm
The outer curve is created by Peco ST 12 (Radius; 228mm (9in). 45º angle) and the inner curve by Peco ST 15 (Radius; 263.5mm (10 3/8in).45º angle).
All the points are Peco ST 5 or 6.

To be honest I chose these because I have heard of Peco and the SCARM software had Peco N Gauge built in. If this is not suitable, it can be changed.
The train I have is one engine and two carriages, the Night Mail by Graham Farish, which is a Class 47 loco with two Mail Coachs.
Thanks for your time, all of you.
Yours
Steve
hairyhandedfool

Post by hairyhandedfool »

Whatever the advice given here, please remember that this is your railway, and you have to be happy with it. We can advise, but you must make the decisions.

What do you want to achieve from your layout?

Are you hoping to make a nice scenic model? Or is your primary focus to run trains? Do you hope to get more trains in the future?

I think the idea of a 'headshunt' in the sidings is a good one, it could allow you to have more operating options and it is something typical of the real railway.

I also don't think you need the extra tracks at the bottom, it's not that common on a two track railway and is taking up space you could use for other things. You'd also get a longer station there if you wanted to do it, or perhaps just allow you to move some of the tracks away from the edge of the board a little. It also has a reduction of cost if you haven't already bought the track.

There is nothing specifically wrong with Peco track, but I believe the point emettman is making is that the tighter 'setrack' points could be problematic over time, with the potential for trains to derail, and perhaps you might consider 'Streamline Code 80' points instead. They are still Peco track, and you can still use 'setrack' straights, however, as they are not standard length pieces, you might need some careful planning to get the track geometry correct, and this might involve flexible track and/or cutting track to length. My opinion is that, whilst emettman makes a good point, it may not be suitable for inexperienced modellers. This might be something worth experimenting with on Scarm/Anyrail first, to see if you like the look of it, and then maybe consider using it.

If this is your first layout, perhaps I could suggest something like this....

(I only have the trial version on Anyrail, so that's 50 pieces of track)
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
sjgarth

Post by sjgarth »

Thanks for all the replies, and I like the layout suggested by hairyhandedfool, i have food for thought now.
When I start the layout (and it will be a protracted process due to cost) I will post updates on my progress, achievements and pitfalls and delays.
Yours
Steve