Jinty stay alive

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Dannyproc

Jinty stay alive

Postby Dannyproc » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:53 am

Has anyone managed to get stay alive capacitors of any kind into a Jinty? Or does anyone know of someone who might be able to do the conversion. There’s a video on YouTube (search farish Jinty stay alive) that’s got me hungry to get mine sorted.

Thanks!
Dan Lancaster

carnehan

Re: Jinty stay alive

Postby carnehan » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 pm

I’ve done it but it was damn fiddly and frustrating. As you’ll know, the Jinty has the minimal amount of space available to install a decoder so I found myself having to store the capacitor in the boiler space with all wires wrapped as tight as if allow round it.

I think I also had to use a specific decoder that would fit and still damaged the wires during installation. I’ll need to check later what the particular code is but it was a DCC concepts one and included the capacitor with it.

Paul

Dannyproc

Re: Jinty stay alive

Postby Dannyproc » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:51 am

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the reply. I know the decoder you mean I think. It’s not a right angled one or anything then?

Did you have to machine away any of the body to make that fit? The main question I have though is how is the performance with stay alive in and working? Is it a huge jump and essentially ‘invincible’? Please let me know how you find it.

Dan
Dan Lancaster

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”