Scratch building track

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
b308

Re: Scratch building track

Postby b308 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:09 am

b308 wrote:
Atso wrote:Thanks b308, do you know where I can get a roller gauge for code 40 rail to N gauge standards? I can find the 2mm Associations and one for code 55 (to wide) in N but nothing for code 40. :(

I'll ask!

Have asked and there wouldn't seem to be anything specifically for code 40 rail, though several people have said to use normal 9mm roller gauges for point construction but make sure the rail is placed on the "right" side to allow appropriate gaps! There are plenty of ordinary roller gauges on Google, or you could join the 2mm Finescale Association and buy theirs (which might be 9.42mm gauge though!).This thread might be worth a look re point construction with code 40 and there's more threads using a Google search on RMWeb about the use of code 40!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ntry256402

Atso

Postby Atso » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Bufferstop wrote:I'd suggest for isolation you slip in an extra sleeper so that the bit that needs cutting is as short as possible. Once its firmly stuck down cut the rail with a slitting disk in a small rotary tool. Fill the gap with Plastic Padding, two part epoxy glue or even Milliput, then file it smooth.

Thanks Bufferstop,

I really meant to say, I don't know where I need to isolate it! I think I've got that worked out now. I ended up filing away the copper as, given the size of these, I don't think that I could get the control needed using a slitting disk. I cut the rail between the common crossing and rails using a piercing saw.

I've finished my first attempt at the double slip. It isn't perfect (it does work) but it is encouraging enough to have another go taking into account what I learnt from this attempt - ten pence piece included to show the size of these.

b308 wrote:
b308 wrote:Have asked and there wouldn't seem to be anything specifically for code 40 rail, though several people have said to use normal 9mm roller gauges for point construction but make sure the rail is placed on the "right" side to allow appropriate gaps! There are plenty of ordinary roller gauges on Google, or you could join the 2mm Finescale Association and buy theirs (which might be 9.42mm gauge though!).This thread might be worth a look re point construction with code 40 and there's more threads using a Google search on RMWeb about the use of code 40!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ntry256402

Thanks b308, I'll have a look at one of the ordinary types but I was hoping to find something that could give me the check rail clearances as well. Unfortunately in that respect, the 2mm Association one wouldn't work as, while the gauge wouldn't be too much of an issue in isolation, their tighter tolerances on the check rails would be.
Steve

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:26 pm

NMRA standards might help:

https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/file ... .05.08.pdf

Also wiring a double slip (Scalefour Society) which shows the gaps:

https://www.scalefour.org/history/proto ... ng-system/

I have a standard 9mm roller gauge I think, I could measure what the gap would be from that if needbe.

Pete

Postby Pete » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 pm

Hi

The 2mm Association produce an excellent guide to all things track, it's a nice large format too. Not the cheapest (around £16.00 I think) but very very comprehensive, and appropriate to all scales.

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”