Removing Dapol A4 loco body?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Bramshot

Removing Dapol A4 loco body?

Postby Bramshot » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Have bought a Dapol A4 as I needed another LNER loco, despite my reservations about the tender shaft drive. I have managed to lose the cardan shaft in the loco body (fell in!). How do you remove the loco body? I have tried removing all the likely screws but no luck. Don’t want to tug it too hard.

Bramshot

Re: Removing Dapol A4 loco body?

Postby Bramshot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:48 am

Never mind, I managed eventually to shake them out without removing the body.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:02 am

I apologise but I've never owned one to explore the internal works of the model.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:45 am

Mountain, if my experience is anything to go by, I wouldn’t bother. Looks nice, runs very badly, especially at low speed, sounds like its full of grit in the gears, but it isn’t!

I saw some instructions that involve detaching the valve gear from the driving wheels, as the support for that is bonded into the body. This may well be out of date though, as I can see no evidence of such a joint on mine, the valvegear and cylinders seem to be mounted to a removable crossmember. Other references in these instructions also did not tally with what I saw in front of me.

Also ticked off to find that it will only accept a micro sized 6 pin decoder, not the usual ones I am used to using, so I had to fit the Gaugemaster one that Dapol themselves use. With research, I think that a micro Lenz silver would also fit.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Update. I have found out what is causing the horrible noise and jerky movement.

It is the Gaugemaster decoder! I swapped it for another one (Zen, without its stay alive), with the tender body removed and the loco was transformed. The motor was running erratically and vibrating with the GM decoder, and the noise was from the tender wheels rattling on the track.

I found this out by disconnecting the cardan shaft and running the motor off load. The motor speed variation was visible and audible at low speed settings.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Wed May 02, 2018 10:52 am

I just got an early BR unvalanced version and find that the instructions for removing the loco body are indeed correct. So it is a major job not to be undertaken lightly.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”