Dismantle Farish DMU 101

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
stmartins

Dismantle Farish DMU 101

Postby stmartins » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:26 am

I have a 3 year old Farish DMU which has been run very little. It does not run well and I want to strip it out and give it a good clean. I have removed the top body OK and separated to lower chassis from the metal chassis. I cannot see how to remove the front bogies to get at the gears etc.can anyone offer any advice and is there a you tune video or anything that shows how to remove the driving bogie unit?

Bramshot

Re: Dismantle Farish DMU 101

Postby Bramshot » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:26 am

I think they just unclip if you pluck up courage and pull them. You may have to tilt them over in the process to help. :?

stmartins

Postby stmartins » Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:55 am

Thanks Bramshot, you are correct its just a "snap" over clip. Interesting day working on this loco as it was raining so plenty of time. No doubt cleanliness on N is imperative for good running . Stripped it all out cleaned all the wheel & brass pickups and then noticed a poor connector from the PC board to the motor. Basically its just 2 copper prongs that just touch the contacts on the motor. Looking at it carefully there was enough room to solder wires from the motor to the PC board , so I heated up the "prongs" removed them and replaced them with 2 wires. I cannot believe the change. The loco crawls, does not stall anywhere on the track and is so smooth its remarkable the change in performance, if you have the time and patience is definitely a mod worth carrying out. Only one thing to remember the date on the motor goes to the top otherwise it runs opposite and even with DCC the lights are wrong of you put the motor back upside down

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 am

Well done STMARTINS. I guess the prongs are an aid to assembly. You also have to watch out for good contact on the pickup prongs and their contact surface that bring power from the rails. I had mine apart to install coach lighting. Shame about the dark section where the motor is, but otherwise looks good.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”