Farish Ivatt 2MT burning out decoders?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Bramshot

Farish Ivatt 2MT burning out decoders?

Postby Bramshot » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:59 pm

I have had two decoder failures within about 2 weeks with a Farish Ivatt 2 MT. the first was when a train overran the station and ran into a section of dead track. On manually pushing it back (gently!)to live track it would not work. Investigation showed the blue heat shrink sleeving on the Bachmann (soundtraxx?) decoder was burned through in one spot, so I assumed decoder failure.
The second, after replacement with the newer Bachmann decoder (by Zimo) occurred some 2 weeks later after hours of good running, when the loco ran into the back of some stationary coaches which had uncoupled from their loco and gone unnoticed while I was distracted by something else. The Ivatt could not push the additional coaches and I think was stationary with wheels spinning, but may have been stalled. It was not in that state for very long before I interrupted power. On detaching from the addditional load, the Ivatt once again would not move, and the decoder seems kaput.
Could the faults be related? I am loathe to install another 25 quids worth to have the same thing happen again. The present plan is to return the loco and decoder to Bachmann to see if there is a loco fault ( high motor current perhaps?) or get the decoder replaced if the loco is fine.

RFS

Re: Farish Ivatt 2MT burning out decoders?

Postby RFS » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:10 pm

Did the decoder perhaps reset itself? See if the loco will move on address 3 to start with.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:10 am

Thanks for your response.

There were some issues with resetting, maybe caused by me trying to get it going again. It turns out that the decoder works and programmes OK in a different loco, while in the original one it gave programming error messages.

I put the reprogrammed and verified decoder back in the Ivatt and it would not run.

So it seems that the loco is at fault, suspect a burned out motor, second one in about 3 months (different locos!). Pity this one is out of warranty!

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

I wouldn't give up on the loco. While the motor may have burned out, there are plenty of other possibilities to produce the 'no go' symptom. With the loco restored to operate from DC it would be sensible to put a test meter on the mechanism and determine if there is a complete circuit from one rail via the motor brushes to the other rail. Just one failed connection will prevent the motor running.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 pm

I haven’t given up on the loco, it has been sent to Bachmann for repair.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”