Compatible electrofrog points

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Lancastrian

Compatible electrofrog points

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:26 am

Currently I am having issues with running locos on my layout, I have thoroughly cleaned the track looked for problems but cannot find anything wrong. I have even tried a different controller. My layout is at the end of its development stages and I haven't really noticed this before. It has been suggested it could be a problem with the insulfrog points. Currently I am using Graham Farish/Bachmann standard points 379-460 left hand and 679-461 right hand. Does anyone know if there are compatible electrofrog points please.

Many Thanks
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Notroh

Re: Compatible electrofrog points

Postby Notroh » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:41 am

Lancastrian

Where are the problems? Getting loco's across the points or power beyond the open point?

Notroh
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:13 pm

I have found the fault, quite by accident, it is the point itself on the outer circuit, in the green box. If I press very lightly on the blade that moves (hope you understand what I mean) all is well for a time. I do have a spare point if I need to change it, but I will see if I can do anything to this current one. The loco stops on the following point in the blue box.

I was thinking of removing the points in the blue box as shown in the inset, but it is the point from the main outer circuit in the green box that is the problem. I will see if I can do anything to the problematic point before I change it.

Notroh

Postby Notroh » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:00 pm

I think you have 2 separate issue here.

The first - the green one - N gauge track is prone to dirt and dust problems, because a bit of dust on a OO track covers twice the area on N track. I know, I run N.So it sounds like either you have some dust or stray ballast stopping the point making proper contact as it switches, or the area where they meet has glue or dust or just plain dirt build up on it. The worst scenario is that the spring has worn in the point itself or the arm has come bent, so it or the point needs to be replaced.

The second issue, where I presume you are switching between two separately controlled lines, sounds like you may not have an insulated fishplate on one of the tracks where the two points meet, thus you are getting a short.

Hope that helps.

Notroh
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50617#p620337
French N, too much fun!

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:05 pm

Thanks Notroh, I will re-check all the points you have listed.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”