Point clips for n gauge...

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Daci1983

Point clips for n gauge...

Postby Daci1983 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:06 am

Hi all. I am building my first n gauge layout and wanted to know if I can get away with point clips like on OO gauge? My layout is DCC and I don't have any soldering equipment so wanted to find a way around this. If point clips would work what is the best solution, would a normal staple work?

Thanks for the help
Rob

Bramshot

Re: Point clips for n gauge...

Postby Bramshot » Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:51 am

With N gauge, some locos, particularly steam loco wheels can bridge the insulating plastic frog and this would cause a short if all the rails were permanently live. You can get both insulated frog points and electrically connected oneS. Most people on here would recommend the latter (electrofrog) type. I use insulfrog because I do not have sufficient space for the electrofrog types, which are generally of larger radius. I place insulated rail joiners on the two short rails from the frog so that those sections are not ever live if the point is not switched that way, because all sections of track are wired to the dcc supply so that none are isolated by the points.

I suggest that you invest in a soldering iron, rails are very easy to solder to and you should in any case have multiple power connections in order to reduce volt drop around the layout.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”