Hattons

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Deltic1981

Re: Hattons

Postby Deltic1981 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:34 am

I ordered my first order from Hattons last week and got everything perfectly without a scratch on the boxes. Definitly seem top notch to me.

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:49 am

Also just made my first order from Hattons (actually e-Hattons) all the way to the other side of the world in Australia. Items arrived c. 10 working days after order, delivery by Royal Mail, and were well packed and completely undamaged. Bachmann Ivatt Class 4 (listed as BARGAIN) was half the price it would be here. Very happy camper! :D
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:13 am

On Wednesday afternoon I e-mailed 3 suppliers for a quote on Peco trackwork (rrp £600 plus)for the new layout I'm building, one to Hatton's, the other 2 to largish popular suppliers within 50 miles of here (Blandford, Dorset). Hattons had replied, with a favourable quote, before close of business the same day. I haven't heard fron the others yet.
Normal Hatton's efficiency, if I don't hear from the others within a week, Hatton's get the deal, but I suspect the others won't even match the quote anyway, but at least I gave them a chance.

Raider

Postby Raider » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:31 am

When I was looking for a large(ish) quantity of flexi track (Code 100) for the loft rebuild I found Rails to be the cheapest - might be worth giving them a try as it might save you a few quid.

Graham Warren

Postby Graham Warren » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:51 am

I live roughly 10 minutes from Hatton's shop, so i guess i am lucky in that respect !

I've always found it to be the cheapest, and there service is great ! I highly recommend them to everyone !

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Although it's early days here,I think I've just had my first experience of disappointment in terms of service with Hattons......
I put in a order to get a Railroad A4 "Falcon" R2779 on Sunday with them & now being Wednesday it hasn't shown up as yet.
Feel a bit embarressed to mention this,as I'm probably taking too much for granted about their very quick despatches etc,so perhaps I'm being rather picky & whinging unnecessarily :oops:
The main problem here could be that the courier is a company with yellow/red vans beginning with the letter "D",rather than Royal Mail,so I can't lay blame at Hattons's door for that.
Last edited by Phipps on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:16 pm

You shouldn’t order on a Sunday…

It probably would not be processed until Monday

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Phipps wrote:The main problem here could be that the courier is a company with yellow/red vans beginning with the letter "D",rather than Royal Mail,so I can't lay blame at Hattons's door for that.

You also get a choice of which carrier you want to use. I always go for Royal Mail.

And I also think you should allow at least 1 extra day for ordering on a weekend. Otherwise they will be processing 3 days worth on a Monday.
My ebay sales may be viewed by clicking HERE.
Feel free to place bids, GENUINE bidders only please.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:00 pm

Good advice I_B_I_T_L mate.I telephoned them today(very helpful,as you would expect them to be) & he was able to track it for me.They'd tried to deliver yesterday(in the 30mins I was out of the house of course) & I spotted the van in Holt town centre at about 1pm.He left it with a neighbour who'd signed for it,much to my relief.......
As you say,I'll stick with Royal Mail next time,cos the Posties around here know what to do when I'm out,whereas yer man in the Yellow van isn't quite "in the know".
All sorted now & Hattons can't expect ANY critisism from me in any way :wink:

D0260

Postby D0260 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:08 pm

Another case of Hattons excellent service... Ordered a Heljan D6586 on Tuesday afternoon this week- Modified the order by adding a Bachmann 108 off the 'bargains' list on Wednesday afternoon . Complete order delivered Friday morning - all for £4 first class post and packing.
Can't beat it...
Other orders placed last tuesday yet to arrive...

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:40 pm

Another pat on the back for our friends in Smithdown Road............
I found out that the A4 has a problem with a wheel on it's front bogie.Contacted them & got an email back yesterday to suggest I get the item back to them.They'll refund me the cost of posting it to them & send a replacement 4484 "Falcon".
Excellent service as ever........... :D
I have another piece to add with regards the A4 Falcon,which is pretty astounding.........
I discovered to my horror that the replacement was as faulty(if not,more so)as the one they sent me originally:Not only was the same wheel loose but the bogie too.
I had to return it(another lot of postage),so I notified Hattons by telephone & asked them if this time they could send me something entirely different,as they might send me a third A4 from the same dodgy batch.
The guy at the other end agreed this(the fault) was not acceptable by their standards & would sort something out if I were to include a note explaining about what had happened.
Anyway,they sent me a Castle Class as replacement & I only had to give them another £10 for it :D
Last edited by Phipps on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flakmunky

Postby Flakmunky » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 pm

All is not good with me and Hattons...

6 orders & 5 mistakes!

The latest, two consigments, both supposed to have gone out on Saturday delivery but the one I really wanted went First Class and didn't turn up on Saturday. Not only that, two of the items they sent me were wrong! I emailed them and have heard nothing. Nada. Zip. Emailed again. Nothing... That was 2 weeks ago. Seems they are ignoring me. Gonna 'phone them tomorrow.

Up until this, I was happy with them. Now, I'm not so. HAving spent about £550 with them, you would have thought they may want to make sure I was happy... Guess they are so busy they just don't care. Well, they aren't the only retailer....

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Re Hattons I preordered a new Farish 08 in Br blue on a Tuesday evening.I asked the lady on the phone when it was expected and she told me no date.Next day browsing thier website said item was listed in stock,and my card was debited.I recieved the item on the Thursday which is good service.However what is not good is i got into trouble with my partner as on Farish website expected date was March/April,so how come when i asked the lady on Tuesday evening she did not know despite asking said item was coming in next day!!
After trying said item, i decided that a shunter was not realy needed for my layout and money spent could be used on something else so i rang them up to ask if i can return it.They said no problem.However,Problem is my bank account changed type of card from the one i paid for the shunter on.So i gave new card details in my letter with shunter which went back to Hattons.I also made doubably sure by phoning them new details so they did not put my refund on the old card.Hey presto what happened they put refund on old card :x .So i had to phone them on Saturday and found out they had done this in error.They were very apologetic but told me to phone them and my bank on Monday which i duly did.Anyway they agreed to refund me again on correct card and my money showed up on Tuesday.So pretty good. :D
On Friday i have done another order for some Dapol Dogfish wagons,Bachmann Scenecraft site office and a mystery loco (which said on thier website limited stocks) so i will let you know.
The reason why i chose them is the mystery loco was up to £16 cheaper than anywhere else.Rails did not have any.Osborns did and they were nearly £20 dearer.So i am afraid why should i buy from somewhere else when even with postage i can get it cheaper from Hattons? :D
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:24 pm

N gauge Farish 08 arrived today for transfer to Holland!

(Bassman please note!)

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:25 am

Flakmunky wrote:All is not good with me and Hattons....

It does rather sound like you've just been abnormally unlucky, a statistical anomaly to the norm.

I suspect Hattons are currently going through a phase experiencing staffing 'issues', be it growing pains (expansion) or contraction of staff trying to handle the same workload due the current economic climate. Whilst £550 is substantial, and I'm sure every customer if important to them, they have so many customers who spend £3k+ a year with them that while they'll try and assist, foot stamping using £½k annual spend as a lever ain't gonna' anyone very far.

Only recently I've too experienced some issues with Hattons orders., one the omission of an item which an email sorted quickly and they made good. The other, a bit more testy, but adequately addressed by them offered the oportunity nevertheless. IME over the past 12 months having had about a dozen and a half aorders with them now during that time, they are a sincere etailer operating on low margins who genuinely try their best to please with in the realms of reasonability and rectify any problems which might occur with oor outside their direct control. Despite the couple of minor hiccups, they still rank 5 star with me.

Return to “Model Railway Shop”