Hattons

What do you want from a model railway shop?
redline41190

Re: Hattons

Postby redline41190 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:14 am

ive never had a problem with hattons, but i noticed today that rails has the new N15s in stock but hattons does not... shame, i already preordered it from them, and its 3 quid cheaper at rails.. ah well :roll:
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:12 am

Well my replacement Flying Scotsman arrived yesterday, again damaged, but as I really can't be bothered to go through the hassle again I've repaired it myself.

Hattons finally responded to my email about not refunding the return postage and sending it back out 2nd class when I originally paid for next day, they said you have to request both. They have said that you need to send them the postage receipt with the return, quite how you manage that when you only get the receipt once you have handed the package over I have no idea.

I won't buy from them again.

Stef

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:18 pm

Stefan Tapp wrote:They have said that you need to send them the postage receipt with the return,

Which means if it gets lost in the post you have no means of claiming from the post office. :?
Not to mention the price is stuck to the parcel anyway.

sishades

Postby sishades » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:41 pm

On Tuesday I sent off the decoder to Hattons (and 1 to Bromsgrove models) and today have received replacements from both companies and have not been charged a penny by either! I think that you may have just gotten unlucky.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Ahhh, but you had to pay the postage to send the decoder back didn't you, and did they refund that?

Stef

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:03 pm

I've never had any problem with them myself. I did have to send something back and they duly refunded the postage. It really aint difficult to do, just left one end of the parcel unsealed, took some sellotape with me, slipped the receipt into the parcel, sealed it and handed it over. The nice lady at the post office even printed me a copy receipt! What's the problem?

Cheers
Dave

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:35 pm

The problem is Dave that I don't expect to have to ask for my return postage to be refunded when I'm sending back an item that was damaged before they sent it. It doesn't say anything on their website about sending back a copy of the postage receipt. They received the parcel, it had a sticker on the front with how much the postage cost. If I was returning something because I changed my mind then fine.

At the end of the day it was only a few pounds, the value doesn't worry me. It's the principle.

Their refund policy states:-

Post items back by Royal Mail 2nd class or, if over 2Kg, by Parcelforce. Ask at the Post Office for a "Proof of Postage" for Royal Mail consignments, and they will give you a receipt free-of-charge.

Faulty or incorrectly supplied items will receive immediate attention by replacement or refund, as appropriate, by return post. Any postage refund will only be considered if goods returned as above.

If a particular component is damaged or missing, we will often only require the damaged item to be returned to us, rather than the whole set return (greater cost of return, plus increased likelihood of damage to other item).

Unwanted items will normally be exchanged or refunded if returned unused, within 10 days of receipt. Postage will normally be charged on exchanged items.

Please include a covering letter with details of the return including what is wrong with the items etc and the actions you would like us to take, or a printout of any email correspondance which you have sent or received from us, regarding your return.

Quite simply I'll shop else where, end of story.

Stef

MTA

Postby MTA » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:21 pm

Just a post to say how good Hattons have been with my last order.

I ordered two Heljan Class 33's and a Bachmann decoder, then I was sent a summary email.

Then I was sent an email saying my payment was accepted, and I received another email saying my order had been packed ready for shipping!

All within twelve hours :shock:

I shall have to use them again :D

Stefan Tapp

Postby Stefan Tapp » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:04 pm

When things go to plan you can't fault Hattons, they have good communication and are quick for delivery, however, if you have to send something back...............................................

Stef

class86

Postby class86 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Yep, I agree. When everthing runs smoothly you can't fault Hattons, however when things go wrong they can go very wrong and they just can't seem to cope. They have absolutely no concept of what customer service means. When part of my order didn't arrive I had to keep ringing until the right person happend to be around so I can find out what was going on. No one offered to look into the problem for me and then get back to me, it was up to me to keep chasing. And don't bother trying to email them, I did and never received a reply.

I tried to get all this across on the RMweb forum but found out the hard way what a belligerent bunch they are. Obviously you musn't criticise Hattons on RMweb, I did and got shot down in flames.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:55 pm

I find Hattons great for oversea's and have never had a problem. But the law of averages sooner or later it will go wrong and if it is you thats just plain bad luck. Give them a try again and I think it will go good for you.

Agree with the comment about RM, I have not posted there for about 6 months now. I still consider myself a novice but over there they make you feel like one.

m

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:58 pm

They do seem to be slipping these days. I ordered a 'more than 10 in stock' item on Sunday. They debited my card on Monday and have done nothing since.

I shall be having words.

mark1987

Postby mark1987 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:28 pm

I order pretty much all my large* items (locos, rolling stock etc.) from Hattons now.

Even paying for next day delivery, the total price is normally less than I'd be from my "local" shop when I add on the cost of a return bus fare.

Can't say I've ever had a problem with them. I did need to return something from my last order because it wasn't as-described, but that was Peco's fault for not mentioning it on the box.

*Whatever "large" is 'N' gauge :lol:
My N gauge layout - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14706

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:11 am

SirMeliot wrote:They do seem to be slipping these days. I ordered a 'more than 10 in stock' item on Sunday. They debited my card on Monday and have done nothing since.

OK The order turned up today, so it looks like they're just slipping on dispatch notifications.

hairyhandedfool

Postby hairyhandedfool » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:13 am

If I have a large order I tend to use Hattons, but often it is easier for me to go to my local for the odd item and get stuff as I can get 10% off Hornby stock, which ofsets against postage. My latest eye at Hattons list is tempting though, my Lima products are coping less and less with the strains of modern (heavy) Bachmann wagons and although my original plan was to wait for Hornby to better Limas motors, I may have to settle for new stock.

My latest eyeful was:

12xHTA wagons = £216
12xHHA wagons = £216
2xFTLR 66 + 1xEWS 66 = £190
3xFTLR 57 = £160
1xMerseyrail 142 = £48
1xNorthern 156 = £61
1xCentral 156 = £61

Total = £952 :!: :!:

:shock: not bad price but ouch!!! :cry: :cry:

May have to wait a bit, what with xmas fast approaching.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan

Return to “Model Railway Shop”