Hattons

What do you want from a model railway shop?
dynamite25

Postby dynamite25 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:20 pm

I have used hattons loads of times over the net but have used my debit card as I don't have a credit card,and never had one single problem with any transaction made or with any other shop online.
Click here to see my Progress with my Scalextric Hobby Progress updated (17/09/07)

R.I.P Sam our very much loved family pet dog who sadly passed away on the 3/6/2010 early hours in the morning in my mums arms on route to the vets.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:26 pm

It should be noted that what I said also applies to debit cards too. The system used to process the transactions online is the same It's just the fact the money comes out of your bank account with a debit card instead of running up a credit bill with a credit card.

You need to be just as vigilant with both methods. Having said that.. I have not encountered any problems with Hattons either and I can only say that their service is better than first class.
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Although Debit cards are directly linked to a bank account it is bad practice to use one for online transactions. A credit card is a must for this purpose solely for safe purchasing. You are covered by the credit card company should anything go wrong, ie damaged goods, companies going bust etc. Whereas with a debit card you will be instantly out of pocket.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:21 pm

sishades wrote:Whereas with a debit card you will be instantly out of pocket

Never was there so much a true word spoken.. and that's before the scammers get hold of yer details :D :D :D :D

I don't personally hold a credit card simply because I am very old fashioned.. I like to see what I have to spend rather than imagine it and get into financial poo!
A voice from the distance said unto me "Smile, things could be worse" so I smiled and lo, things did get worse!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:54 pm

Metadyneman wrote: financial poo!

mmmmm financial poo

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:04 pm

O yes!

mmurnin900

Postby mmurnin900 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:22 pm

Any one find their flexi track packaged seperatly and not arriving on the same day. Intermodals today but no track
Matthew
LFC We've still got 5

saslord
Site Admin

Postby saslord » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:02 pm

As a shop owner I almost always send flexi or long straight track seperate.

I also only sell it in quantities above 6 because of the cost and time involved in packing and because their is strength in quantity.

Undereaves

Postby Undereaves » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:24 pm

I'm wondering where to buy stuff once I decide what exactly I'm modelling. There are a few things I don't like about Hattons though. The website is awful, as is the CD they put out free with BRM. Has anyone else played the movie? It's laughable. Also, the section of the website detailing their dealings with someone who failed to pay them seems very unprofessional, and quite obsessive. Still, if they have good customer service, that's the main thing.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:16 pm

Undereaves wrote: The website is awful,

Do you mean hattons.co.uk, which does suck? Or ehattons.com which is the best model shop web site I've seen.

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:21 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:23 pm

Undereaves wrote:The website is awful, as is the CD they put out free with BRM

I'm afraid I have to disagree entirely with that statement, I think the Hattons website is by far the easiest to use out of any of the model shop websites I have encountered and it loads up far quicker than any of the others. Not only that, Hattons do not put items on it that they haven't got in stock which other websites do. That to me is a great plus because you are not attempting to buy something that the shop clearly hasn't even got in stock yet! A practise I find very irritating!

The Hattons CDROM is a "snapshot" of the website and they also send it out with orders too now which avoids looking through reams of photocopied stuff. The video is not meant to be top quality and considering it's free I don't think anyone should grumble.

Undereaves

Postby Undereaves » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:52 pm

Metadyneman wrote:
Undereaves wrote:
The Hattons CDROM is a "snapshot" of the website and they also send it out with orders too now which avoids looking through reams of photocopied stuff. The video is not meant to be top quality and considering it's free I don't think anyone should grumble.

The fact that it is free doesn't mean it excuses it being completely amateurish. You can't even hear what anyone is saying. They'd be better not sending anything out than something that shoddy.

As for Hattons being the best model website, I've not looked at that many but already find Rails of Sheffield far better designed. I don't know what their service is like. I'm just commenting on the websites here, and Hattons is dreadful.

Metadyneman

Postby Metadyneman » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:08 pm

Undereaves wrote:I'm just commenting on the websites here, and Hattons is dreadful.

You are Sir, quite entitled to your opinion. It is as I reiterate here , one that I disagree with entirely and find Hattons website far better than anything including Rails. That is my opinion to which I am also entitled :-)

I bear no malice in my statement and bid you a Happy New Year

Undereaves

Postby Undereaves » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Metadyneman wrote:You are Sir, quite entitled to your opinion. It is as I reiterate here , one that I disagree with entirely and find Hattons website far better than anything including Rails. That is my opinion to which I am also entitled :-)

I bear no malice in my statement and bid you a Happy New Year

No malice here either. There are enough issues for people to fall out over in the world. Model shops probably shouldn't be one of them :wink:

Return to “Model Railway Shop”