What I'd like to see in this excellent forum, if I may...

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Chops

What I'd like to see in this excellent forum, if I may...

Post by Chops »

The photography, as a rule, is splendid. The imagination and skill of the modellers found herein is an inspiration. I have scrolled through every personal layout in here, and I'm darned if every single one in here, be it a club, a point-to-point, or a roundey-round, an opus or the size of a small shelf, isn't singular.

Monfort came close, with a super seven minute video blog on his switching layout. If that is "old hat" in the UK, I can say with good authority that I've never seen the like, anywhere, in the U.S. or Canada. If they exist, they aren't posted. I did one, once, that was 2x8, but it was incorporated into an island style roundey-round. His exposition of the multitude of fiddling possibilities was nothing short of remarkable, on a number of levels: thrift, economy of movement, and chess-by-shunter, if you will.

So, I want more of what Montford is generally doing! Take a whirl at it and see if it adds to your enjoyment and satisfaction. It certainly adds to mine!

I want to see modellers here take a chance- make a story board- about anything- one's history with model rail, or one's attempt to recreate a memory or an era. I want to see a video storyboard with subtitles, or a set of stills creating a stationary story board, or a mix of the two. If one fears a lack of imagination (from what is seen herein, I can hardly believe that), then use a Thomas the Tank Engine story as a template to create a similar story on one's own layout, be it the size of an aerodrome or a biscuit tin.

Myself, I used to use a free Google editing site, which seems to be replaced, or removed entirely, but one can still load videos to it easily enough, and download royalty free music from dawn until dusk. Now I use a pay-for-play site, Filmora, that costs about 45 pounds annually. It is very user friendly, and I am not a genius with digital stuff, which is why my photography is less than maximum. Should anyone wish a step by step tutorial, simply PM me. Coming Soon??

See link below, I had some buffering issues when I tried to see the final cut, so let me know if it doesn't come through. I put a lot of effort into the soundtrack, so turn up the volume, beware the neighbors...

https://youtu.be/4kkeGsRVUrk
Nessie rocks!
Bufferstop

Re: What I'd like to see in this excellent forum, if I may...

Post by Bufferstop »

I can see what you are looking for, a video version of the stories that PD Hancock and The Rev. Peter Denny published in the 50's and 60's. Producing video (or film) if done well is a time consuming activity and what do most of us, particularly those around my age have a limited supply of, time!
Earlier this year I started two projects, both of which I intended to put on here, building a motor bogie from cheap standard components, and one of the Wisbech and Upwell coaches. So much for good intentions, both are progressing, slowly due to other commitments but what's lacking is the photo's. Other than quick shots on my phone getting out the camera, tripod and lights is something I just don't have time for.
Last year I did produce some bit's of video, they involve the departure in daylight and return at night, of a "steam special'', an eight coach train pulled by steam, with a diesel on the back. The two pieces were deliberately raw, long start with nothing moving, a slight break in the progress of the eight coaches through the station and extra footage on the end. I'd love to edit them up into a story, but here's the rub. My wife commissioned me to make them as resource material to go into an IT practical examination, they were adopted by the exam board and now I can't display them until the exam has been used.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

How's this for a NRM cameo?

Guy
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!
Chops

Post by Chops »

Remarkable action scenics. The four point lift was quite clever, and gave me some pause to reflect on a VW Bug mother purchased whilst on holiday in Finland, of all the places. Most people would be happy to bring home a mug or a spoon. Mother got in her head to bring home a Bug. That followed on the heels of a brisk tour of Stalingrad and Leningrad with father. No wonder I'm a little touched.

I shall be visiting this site for some study- much to be learned herein. Tell me, the appellation "Timbersurf?" Not two images I generally associate with the UK. Great stuff, I'll become a regular visitor, I am sure.
Nessie rocks!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

To be honest, your the first to ask how I got my handle!
My father was famed for chopping tree's down and would shout "Timber" as it fell, following in his footsteps as a Boy Scout leader, I took the nickname on. With the advent of an interest in amateur radio, I used the same name and finally when prompted to input a screen name on the internet, I tried the same, but usually found it to be already in use, thus needed an extension. At the time, I owned and regularly went off roading in my Toyota Hilux Surf (Timber's Surf), so took on the screen name of TimberSurf in the associated online forum. It simply stuck throughout my online presence, as it is a fairly unique name that is easy for others to remember (not got umpteen numbers in it!)

Now your turn, where does Chops come from?
Chops

of Handles...

Post by Chops »

100_8427.JPG
My handle came from what was probably the world's laziest cat, whom I obtained in a trade for a Chihuahua that we had rescued from a
flood. Floods are rare here in West Texas, but when they happen, they happen. The cat's original name was Majestic, which
seemed a bit large, and we were sitting one evening trying to come up with a better appellation. Our then 3 year old daughter wandered
up and remarked, "I know, let's call him Chopsticks." Well, that sealed the deal, and where our three year old came up with the word "Chopsticks"
will always remain a mystery.

The abbreviation of Chopsticks, is Chops, and chops is an old neologism, meaning "jaw," and an oblique reference to "he who talks too much."

Chopsticks enjoyed a long and healthy life, quite spoiled, and passed away in his old age.
Nessie rocks!
TimberSurf

Post by TimberSurf »

Only 18 months to answer! :lol:
I would like to see some more activity on this forum, the rate of postings seems to have gone down drastically in the last year or two! (also guilty of not posting much but that will change now that I have my modelling mojo back!
Chops

Post by Chops »

Well yes, I'm getting faster! Ahem, sorry about that. Well, postings may soon be up.
Nessie rocks!