Frizinghall Models & Railways

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Dad-1

Frizinghall Models & Railways

Post by Dad-1 »

I am more than happy from my dealings with the above shop.
Anyone can appear to be good with service & stock, but it's only when something
goes wrong that you really find out just how good a business is.

I bought a load of platform lights and a quick check saw all light. After glueing in place
and wiring into the lighting loom one was ... just not quite right. After a short while it
failed.
I emailed them ..... today a replacement arrived, no questions asked. What can one say
other than a big thank you for the excellent service.

I have another layout where I have 3 light kits, may have lost some bits in the last 4 - 6
years. In recognition of their super service I've decide to buy 3 complete working lights
to finish that job !! Not exactly local to me !! www.modelrailshop.co.uk

Geoff T.
Robmag

Re: Frizinghall Models & Railways

Post by Robmag »

This is my local modelling shop and yes the service is always excellent !!
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

Any news on FMR, last time I was in during the summer there was talk of them shutting down in September or going up for sale? There has been an advert in the Business For Sale section of Railway Modeller for some months which does not name the business but the description would fit FMR :shock:

Richard
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

I believe they are hoping to retire and therefore sell the business.
I could be wrong, but I mentioned this to them a while back and I
thought they had someone interested in taking the business forward.

Geoff T.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

They were still trading last weekend and still in apparently fine fettle. There were a few gaps on shelves but mostly the same ones as everyone else (that'll be Hornby group then...). I confess I chickened out of asking them how the proposed sale was going.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Meister

Post by Meister »

The website says the shop is relocating to Baildon at the end of March, so the sale must have gone through. Looks to be the same address as John Ayrey the model car wholesaler, so the latter could be the new owner or maybe this business is moving again or closing. Model car collecting is certainly in the doldrums at the moment. Seems strange to be relocating to another unit further out of town but perhaps most of their business is online now.
Last edited by Meister on Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

The bulk of their business is apparently mail order, and one of the reasons cited for the move was excessive rent at their current location. They're moving to Sapper Jordan Rossi Park, which a new development so there may also have been relocation incentives. The current location hardly attracts passing trade, and their original one was right in the middle of the red light district !

Hattons have just done exactly the same thing.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/
Meister

Post by Meister »

Their original shop had a lot more atmosphere than the current one, though clearly less practical. I do not know the precise location of the new unit but from my general knowledge of the area am not convinced it will be much better from the point of view of passing trade. I wish them good look in the future but doubt I will be visiting the new shop in person as Baildon is a bit inconvenient for me. Having looked up the John Ayrey address it seems to be the same unit so either Ayreys have bought the business, they are sharing a unit or Ayreys are moving out (unlikely as they only relocated there recently).
End2end

Post by End2end »

stuartp wrote:and their original one was right in the middle of the red light district !
:lol: :lol: so it was ALL STOP then?
"No sorry my dear. I'm looking to lay TRACK!"
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
stuartp

Post by stuartp »

I was 17 the first time I went to the old shop. "You want to borrow the car to go where ?"
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Without going into a political discussion on the subject I would say that part of the seaming rash of retirements at the moment has something to do with the forthcoming change in the business rating system. If retirement was beckoning it would be just what it takes to persuade a dealer to move on.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

stuartp wrote:The bulk of their business is apparently mail order, and one of the reasons cited for the move was excessive rent at their current location. They're moving to Sapper Jordan Rossi Park, which a new development so there may also have been relocation incentives. The current location hardly attracts passing trade, and their original one was right in the middle of the red light district !

Hattons have just done exactly the same thing.
The original shop when I was a lad was at the bottom of Emm Lane opposite the portcullis entrance gate to Lister Park, hardly the red light district then and even now. Hillam Court being an industrial estate would be a more attractive place for the damsels of the night. Ironically its present location must be slap bang on or very near where Manningham roundhouse stood, that whole area was sidings etc.

The new location is similar to the present but off the Otley Road. I am just glad it will continue and not be another loss to railway modellers.

Richard
Thedoc

Post by Thedoc »

As a young boy at I spent many happy lunch hours (school was virtually next door to the original shop) looking longingly at all the shelves of beautiful stock on display, but usually only being able to afford a buffer stop or similar (cue Monty Python "Four Yorkshiremen" sketch). The shop help sustain my interest throughout my teenage years. The old shop had loads of character, and I remember the owner as a very genial and helpful chap. They still stock far more than just the basics, and in my opinion they must rate as one of the best model railway shops in the country.

I now live 250 miles away but still try to drop in every time I visit my parents. Typical that the shop should relocate to Baildon just as they move from Baildon to Ilkey. I'll just have to drive a little further out of my way, but I'm sure it will be worthwhile.
Tricky Dicky

Post by Tricky Dicky »

I hope this post does not breach forum policy but it has just been announced on RMWeb that FMR are up and running at their new premises at 8a Sapper Jordan Rossi park, Baildon. At least one model shop saved from oblivion. Well done to all concerned, can't wait to check out the new premises.

Richard
FMR

Post by FMR »

The move of Frizinghall Models and Railways to Baildon has now been completed and the new shop opened on Monday 3rd April. The shop is on the first floor of a new warehouse building, but a lift is available for the less able of our customers, it is air conditioned, a customer toilet is provided, and a seating area is available for non-enthusiast partners! All the existing staff, except the previous owners Stephen & Elaine, have transferred, so most of the faces will be familiar to regular FMR customers.
All the same product lines, plus some new ones are being stocked, and all the Hornby International ranges are also coming into stock soon.
Many of you will recognise the address as being that of John Ayrey Die-Casts, but the FMR shop is completely separate from the Trade Area of John Ayrey's, and has its own entrance. There has been much speculation on the internet about the involvement of John Ayrey Die-Casts, but it is quite simple - John Ayrey and his father bought their first model shop at Frizinghall back in 1950, they subsequently opened further shops in Huddersfield, Leeds and Manchester under the trading name of 'Bradford Model Railway Centre'. When John's father died in the 1970's the Bradford shop was sold to Mr Wilson, a long standing customer, and the name had to change to avoid confusion with John's other three shops - hence it became Frizinghall Models & Railways. Stephen Wilson is the son of the original purchaser and now wishes to retire from the model shop, although he will continue to be involved with the 'Model-It' range of lights, etc. and will continue to run the Meccano shop.
In addition, the present Managing Director of John Ayrey's Norman Hinchliffe, started his career in the model trade as a schoolboy at Huddersfield in the 1960's, so there has been a nearly 70 year connection between the two Companies.
When Stephen and Elaine were unable to find a buyer for the business, the owners of John Ayrey Die-Casts stepped in to save the business from closure. As the lease for the old premises had come to an end, it made sense to re-locate to the new building which is easier to access and has ample customer parking.
The shop mentioned in a previous post that was said to be in 'the red light district' was a totally different shop and had nothing at all to do with John Ayrey, Bradford Model Railway Centre or Frizinghall Models & Railways. The original shop at 'Norman Arch', 202 Keighley Road, a very respectable area, remained in use until the move to Hillam Road.