Shops in Essex

What do you want from a model railway shop?
aliman

Shops in Essex

Post by aliman »

In the area of Essex I live in (Canvey Island), there does not seem to be any model shops around. The closest shop I visit is flair rail, which has a lot of stock at reasonable prices, but its a good 25mile trip on way, are there any other shops that could be nearer. There is plus daughters in Basildon but I can only visit at weekends and they seem to be closed most weekends for exhibitions.
End2end

Re: Shops in Essex

Post by End2end »

Here you go aliman :)
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/Essex
Not sure of the full details of each shop but plenty of links there to them all.
Hope it help's.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
HarryR

Post by HarryR »

Have a similar problem. Either PlusD or a trip to Colchester, Chelsmford or Romford and going by public transport not esp great journeys.
aliman

Post by aliman »

Thanks E2E I have done searches before and never got that page you found. It is a little frustrating that there are never any near where you live, which is a shame as you can never really tell if its really what you want when you buy of the internet.
Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

The only shop with any model rail related items near you is Hobbycraft in Basildon. They only have a small selection Hornby products, with a display of what seems mainly twisted track. They also stock a selection of Woodland Scenics products.
Suzie

Post by Suzie »

Is Making Tracks of Bowers Gifford still going? That is about as near to Canvey as you are going to get without being in Canvey. Public transport there will I guess be bicycle though!
End2end

Post by End2end »

aliman wrote:Thanks E2E I have done searches before and never got that page you found. It is a little frustrating that there are never any near where you live, which is a shame as you can never really tell if its really what you want when you buy of the internet.
Agreed. One of the reasons I dont buy clothes online.
Funny though. My local/closest model shop is only 2 miles away but seriously lacking lol.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
aliman

Post by aliman »

Suzie wrote:Is Making Tracks of Bowers Gifford still going? That is about as near to Canvey as you are going to get without being in Canvey. Public transport there will I guess be bicycle though!
I think that might of closed down again, if its the one on pound lane I am thinking of
NakatsuHime

Post by NakatsuHime »

I'm literally 4 miles from Thurrock Lakeside, and therefore, about 7 miles from Bluewater. Not a model railway retailer amongst them! Chavs aren't interested in this hobby it seems.

However, there is a real gem in Chelmsford:
http://www.johndutfieldmodelrailways.co.uk/

It had all I needed to begin my layout, and has a small but wide-ranging second-hand section as well. Really friendly and knowledgable staff as well, which helps.
NakatsuHime

Post by NakatsuHime »

Buggleskelly wrote:The only shop with any model rail related items near you is Hobbycraft in Basildon. They only have a small selection Hornby products, with a display of what seems mainly twisted track. They also stock a selection of Woodland Scenics products.
Scenic supplies are still reasonably good, but apart from that - and a couple of buildings - that's about it.
Sails

Post by Sails »

NakatsuHime wrote:I'm literally 4 miles from Thurrock Lakeside, and therefore, about 7 miles from Bluewater. Not a model railway retailer amongst them! Chavs aren't interested in this hobby it seems.

However, there is a real gem in Chelmsford:

It had all I needed to begin my layout, and has a small but wide-ranging second-hand section as well. Really friendly and knowledgable staff as well, which helps.

This is good to know, thanks,
Sails

Post by Sails »

NakatsuHime wrote:However, there is a real gem in Chelmsford:

Now that I'm relocated to Essex I took my first trip to this shop, really well stocked, friendly and helpful staff and plenty of people coming and going. Nice to know there is a good model shop close by, managed to snap up their last Bachmann Webb coal tank and treated myself to another Heljan 0-6-0 Pannier to keep my saddle tank company.

Mark