Shops in Essex

What do you want from a model railway shop?
aliman
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:29 am
Location: Essex

Shops in Essex

Postby aliman » Wed May 11, 2016 12:34 pm

In the area of Essex I live in (Canvey Island), there does not seem to be any model shops around. The closest shop I visit is flair rail, which has a lot of stock at reasonable prices, but its a good 25mile trip on way, are there any other shops that could be nearer. There is plus daughters in Basildon but I can only visit at weekends and they seem to be closed most weekends for exhibitions.

User avatar
End2end
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: At the end....... and sometimes at the other end

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby End2end » Wed May 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Here you go aliman :)
http://www.ukmodelshops.co.uk/county/Essex
Not sure of the full details of each shop but plenty of links there to them all.
Hope it help's.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

HarryR
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 9:10 pm

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby HarryR » Wed May 11, 2016 8:29 pm

Have a similar problem. Either PlusD or a trip to Colchester, Chelsmford or Romford and going by public transport not esp great journeys.

aliman
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:29 am
Location: Essex

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby aliman » Thu May 12, 2016 8:43 am

Thanks E2E I have done searches before and never got that page you found. It is a little frustrating that there are never any near where you live, which is a shame as you can never really tell if its really what you want when you buy of the internet.

Buggleskelly
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:50 pm
Location: Basildon, Essex

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby Buggleskelly » Thu May 12, 2016 11:25 am

The only shop with any model rail related items near you is Hobbycraft in Basildon. They only have a small selection Hornby products, with a display of what seems mainly twisted track. They also stock a selection of Woodland Scenics products.

Suzie
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:46 pm

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby Suzie » Thu May 12, 2016 6:14 pm

Is Making Tracks of Bowers Gifford still going? That is about as near to Canvey as you are going to get without being in Canvey. Public transport there will I guess be bicycle though!

User avatar
End2end
Posts: 3907
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: At the end....... and sometimes at the other end

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby End2end » Thu May 12, 2016 10:32 pm

aliman wrote:Thanks E2E I have done searches before and never got that page you found. It is a little frustrating that there are never any near where you live, which is a shame as you can never really tell if its really what you want when you buy of the internet.

Agreed. One of the reasons I dont buy clothes online.
Funny though. My local/closest model shop is only 2 miles away but seriously lacking lol.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

aliman
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 03, 2016 9:29 am
Location: Essex

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby aliman » Fri May 13, 2016 8:36 am

Suzie wrote:Is Making Tracks of Bowers Gifford still going? That is about as near to Canvey as you are going to get without being in Canvey. Public transport there will I guess be bicycle though!


I think that might of closed down again, if its the one on pound lane I am thinking of

User avatar
NakatsuHime
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby NakatsuHime » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:56 am

I'm literally 4 miles from Thurrock Lakeside, and therefore, about 7 miles from Bluewater. Not a model railway retailer amongst them! Chavs aren't interested in this hobby it seems.

However, there is a real gem in Chelmsford:
http://www.johndutfieldmodelrailways.co.uk/

It had all I needed to begin my layout, and has a small but wide-ranging second-hand section as well. Really friendly and knowledgable staff as well, which helps.

User avatar
NakatsuHime
Posts: 261
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:52 pm

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby NakatsuHime » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:59 am

Buggleskelly wrote:The only shop with any model rail related items near you is Hobbycraft in Basildon. They only have a small selection Hornby products, with a display of what seems mainly twisted track. They also stock a selection of Woodland Scenics products.


Scenic supplies are still reasonably good, but apart from that - and a couple of buildings - that's about it.

Sails
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby Sails » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:33 am

NakatsuHime wrote:I'm literally 4 miles from Thurrock Lakeside, and therefore, about 7 miles from Bluewater. Not a model railway retailer amongst them! Chavs aren't interested in this hobby it seems.

However, there is a real gem in Chelmsford:
http://www.johndutfieldmodelrailways.co.uk/

It had all I needed to begin my layout, and has a small but wide-ranging second-hand section as well. Really friendly and knowledgable staff as well, which helps.



This is good to know, thanks,

Sails
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 10:34 pm

Re: Shops in Essex

Postby Sails » Sat May 27, 2017 10:34 pm

NakatsuHime wrote:However, there is a real gem in Chelmsford:
http://www.johndutfieldmodelrailways.co.uk/

It had all I needed to begin my layout, and has a small but wide-ranging second-hand section as well. Really friendly and knowledgable staff as well, which helps.


Now that I'm relocated to Essex I took my first trip to this shop, really well stocked, friendly and helpful staff and plenty of people coming and going. Nice to know there is a good model shop close by, managed to snap up their last Bachmann Webb coal tank and treated myself to another Heljan 0-6-0 Pannier to keep my saddle tank company.

Mark


Return to “Model Railway Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests