S and J Model Shop, Northwich

What do you want from a model railway shop?
MonsalDale40934

S and J Model Shop, Northwich

Post by MonsalDale40934 »

Hi, I emailed S and J Models a few weeks ago and I haven't received a response. Are they still open? When is a good time to ring them to ask for opening times? I live in Liverpool so I need to know their opening times before making the trek over. Also, is there online service good because if it is then I will just use that instead?
I've seen IC82's video and it looks incredible so I hope I can get there soon or get something from them off the internet.

Edit: Also, do they definitely do online shopping? It says on their home page, "WE REGRET THAT WE CAN NO LONGER ACCEPT TRADE ORDERS OF ANY KIND THEY WILL BE REFUNDED." but I can still add things to the basket. Anyone have any experience with their online shop know?

http://www.sandjmodelrailways.co.uk/90270/info.php?p=1
Ken Shabby

Re: S and J Model Shop, Northwich

Post by Ken Shabby »

I bought a Bachmann Peak from them in April and It arrived very quickly but was slightly damaged , as some of the cab glazing was loose inside the body .
Also , after an hours running in It seemed to be running quite roughly and as I didn't want to start tinkering with a near £100 loco I asked for a refund.
This was agreed quickly and sorted out without any fuss.
Would I use them again ? Yes.

Ken
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

Disregard my last post , I wouldn't use them again.
I bought a Hornby Class 153 off them last Friday for my son's Christmas present, It was listed as 'Appears unused ,minus instructions' .
It arrived on Monday and when tested ran very poorly and could hardly drag itself round the track. When I removed the body, the chassis was banana shaped and the wheels spun constantly even on straight and level track.
Without going into detail , It clearly needed to be returned. I called them and arranged to return it and It was sent back the same day.
2 days later they emailed saying that the unit had arrived minus instructions and unless I posted them to them £5 would be deducted from my refund.
I emailed them back stating it was advertised on their site minus instructions and that now they had it the unit back I wanted my refund in full.
In the meantime I had bought an alternative present from Hattons and badly needed the £60 back to buy other family presents.
I had no reply to the email and was unable to contact them by phone.
My money was finally refunded today.
Very poor.

Ken
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Yoy don't have much luck do you ? That shop has plenty of satisfied customers who just get on with life
Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

trainlover23 wrote:Yoy don't have much luck do you ? That shop has plenty of satisfied customers who just get on with life
'Get on with life' Care to explain what you mean by that ?

Maybe you think I should of just swallowed it ?
" Happy Christmas son, here's that DMU you've been banging on about all year, I'm afraid it's now only a static model ".
Or just thought fair enough I'll pay the return postage and accept only a partial refund, no apology , never mind.

We're on model railway forum aren't we ? . Do you think I shouldn't of posted because you like the shop or maybe you know the owners ?.

I don't blame S&J for the trains being defective, that's down to Bachmann and Hornby's quality control and I don't expect them to test very loco that appears on their site.
I do expect them not to quibble over refunds and try and deduct money for non existant instructions, and not to hold on that refund for a further 2 days after they've received the unit back.
I'm well aware of the various reviews of the shop on Youtube from IC82 etc and I'm sure yes they've have plenty of satisfied customers, but I thought their customer servce sucked.

Ken
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

No why come a forum and moan that`s all it seems to be nowadays ONE person bad experience means that everybody else must have a bad experience and anyway most people just ignore the reports
NakatsuHime

Post by NakatsuHime »

The OP specifically asked for people's experience with this store.
Surely then, the answer counts as experience. The fact that it isn't glowing praise is therefore completely relevant to the question asked.
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Ken Shabby wrote:
I don't blame S&J for the trains being defective, that's down to Bachmann and Hornby's quality control and I don't expect them to test very loco that appears on their site.
I do expect them not to quibble over refunds and try and deduct money for non existant instructions, and not to hold on that refund for a further 2 days after they've received the unit back.

Ken
I would put the blame down to both the person who sold the item to the dealer as they must have been aware of the defects/faults, and to the dealer for failing to test it before accepting it.

Not to test any item is simply not good business sense. To test it and then try to palm it off on some unsuspecting punter is questionable practice to say the least!

I quite agree that the dealer’s refund delay tactics in this case are nothing short of scandalous.
trainlover23 wrote:No why come a forum and moan that`s all it seems to be nowadays ONE person bad experience means that everybody else must have a bad experience and anyway most people just ignore the reports
Ken Shabby has now had 2 defective purchases from this business.

How many others are there in similar circumstances I wonder?

What would you have done in his case?

How do you know that “most people just ignore the reports”?
NakatsuHime wrote:The OP specifically asked for people's experience with this store.
Surely then, the answer counts as experience. The fact that it isn't glowing praise is therefore completely relevant to the question asked.
Very well put.
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

You only ever hear one side of the story .
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

trainlover23 wrote:You only ever hear one side of the story .
Despite the invitation in the OP I don't see much effort to put another side of the story. So I'll ask another direct question: How do you know "That shop has plenty of satisfied customers who just get on with life"?

Are you connected with the shop?
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Ex-Pat wrote:
trainlover23 wrote:You only ever hear one side of the story .
Despite the invitation in the OP I don't see much effort to put another side of the story. So I'll ask another direct question: How do you know "That shop has plenty of satisfied customers who just get on with life"?

Are you connected with the shop?
NO
Ex-Pat

Post by Ex-Pat »

Well that's one question of 3 answered - can you back up your other claims?
trainlover23

Post by trainlover23 »

Ex-Pat wrote:
Ken Shabby wrote:

Ken
I would put the blame down to both the person who sold the item to the dealer as they must have been aware of the defects/faults, and to the dealer for failing to test it before accepting it.

Not to test any item is simply not good business sense. To test it and then try to palm it off on some unsuspecting punter is questionable practice to say the least!

I quite agree that the dealer’s refund delay tactics in this case are nothing short of scandalous.
trainlover23 wrote:No why come a forum and moan that`s all it seems to be nowadays ONE person bad experience means that everybody else must have a bad experience and anyway most people just ignore the reports
Ken Shabby has now had 2 defective purchases from this business.

How many others are there in similar circumstances I wonder?

What would you have done in his case? Sorted it out with the shop and not come bleating on here :roll: :roll:

How do you know that “most people just ignore the reports”? Have a good read of some of the reviews posted on line and make you own mind up. There are always a few spurious ones in there you can usually tell by the sarcasm
NakatsuHime wrote:The OP specifically asked for people's experience with this store.
Very well put.

Now all 3 questions answered
ollieollieollie

Post by ollieollieollie »

I've tried them 3 times for items advertised on their website. I've had no response on 3 occasions. I've given up. Wont bother again.
Dad-1

Post by Dad-1 »

To save this from sinking into a disagreement that can NEVER be resolved
I've decide to lock.
Make up your own minds as to who you believe.

Geoff T.