Great Eastern, Plumstead Rd, Norwich

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Phipps

Great Eastern, Plumstead Rd, Norwich

Post by Phipps »

Just gave them a look for the first-ever visit as a railway modeller.
Some decent competively priced items too.
Found the Hornby RR 3F dark blue S&DJR for £30 (cheapest I've seen it is £32 on ebay) & £24 for three "Scotsman/railroad" teaks, two of which already have decent metal wheelsets fitted to them.
The lady serving me must've known I was a new customer so we had a pleasant chat about what I was running (analogue or digital) & I also explained I might have a few items of interest for them.
AFAIK, she, her sister & brother took the business over when their father passed away. When he ran it, my passion then was diecast cars, so I may be able to part exchange a few cars in retun for more items.
If you are ever in Norwich, give their store a look, as the whole ground floor is railway stuff
Admin4

Re: Great Eastern, Plumstead Rd, Norwich

Post by Admin4 »

thanks for the review, i have not been to Norwich for awhile but the other half likes the town for shopping so will have to remember it has a good model shop :D
Phipps

Post by Phipps »

It is a little 10min drive out from the city itself, Alex, but easy enough to find.
Only thing to avoid is Mondays or Sundays. There is parking out back (limited to 6/7 cars), so the Aldi opposite might be an option.
Nice big box of points @ £5 each, including a "Y" or two, so I may drop in again for some as well as the other half of my teak rake.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

I am a 'Dereham - Norfie' exile now living in Cyprus.
At every UK visit I make time to shop at Great Eastern even if I haven't got a real shopping list.
They are lovely people who really welcome you to their shop and they always have time for a chat.
I usually spend ages looking for stuff in there then eventually give up and ask where they have hidden it. Within seconds I have my 'lost' items.
I'll be back middle of March - see you then.
Salt of the earth.
Rob
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
sishades

Post by sishades »

I have been in there many times and at one stage got to know the girls quite well. There is now an area to sit down and have a cup of tea!
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again