Best model shop in the UK?

What do you want from a model railway shop?
amsie

Re: Best model shop in the UK?

Postby amsie » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 pm

That's true Alex about everything in a box but for all the little bits and pieces and nik naks I find I can easily spend a few hours in there :-)

Paul

Jim S-W

Postby Jim S-W » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:36 pm

My local model shop, modellers Mecca, is very good. Dunno how it compares though as I haven't been to another 'proper' model shop for years.

Cheers

Jim

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 pm

I don't think any can be considered "The Best" as journey time/location is so often the key.
When my home move is finished I'll be near Buffers of Axminster, which has a fantastic
choice of scenic products ..... I usually find something I've never seen advertised before.
To me it's probably the best I have been in ........ but that's probably only been about 20 !!

Sadly I still tend to use Box Shifters for locos as price has an influence on what I can/will buy.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Dad-1 wrote:When my home move is finished I'll be near Buffers of Axminster, which has a fantastic
choice of scenic products ..... I usually find something I've never seen advertised before.
To me it's probably the best I have been in

One of my colleagues at work is a cousin of the guy who founded Buffers. Sadly he died a few years back but his wife decided to keep the business going on account of all the hard work her late husband had put into getting it up and running. Sounds like that was a good decision by all accounts.

Personally, my local shop is Trains4U in Peterborough which is always worth a visit, and I consider myself fortunate to have somewhere like that near by. It's located just outside of the city centre, so it's easy to get to and parking is free. Plus there's plenty of room inside as it's a unit on a small trading estate. The staff are always friendly and it's well stocked.

Even though I could probably find most things a tad cheaper if I looked online, I always feel like I'd rather shop with them so I don't mind paying a few pence extra for the benefit of having them close by.

gromit54

Postby gromit54 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:03 pm

My local shop is frizinghall models in Bradford, not a bad shop with friendly staff and large range of stock covering must modelling needs. Problem is they are expensive so I don't tend to use them much nowadays, Its a shame because I remember going there as a kid and would hate to see it go, but when your on a budget and the item you want is much cheaper even with postage from Liverpool what can you do.
Mad dog gromit strikes again!!

Meister

Postby Meister » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Frizinghall Models and Railways

I used to buy quite a lot from here but haven't been back in about three years. The old shop on Manningham Lane was great but they seemed to do downhill after the move. Their range isn't the best and the prices quite high, so no wonder they are not as popular as they used to be. Over the last couple of years I have started buying online and now use 2K Technologies near Halifax rather than FMR if I want to visit a physical model shop.

scotrail1

Postby scotrail1 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:29 pm

Harburn hobbies in Edinburgh is really good

iv now moved to newcastle and sourced a great find in trains and planes near one of the metro stations. Friendly staff. Still a fairly new business so stock is being built up, but well worth a visit as a pleasant shopping experience

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:47 pm

It would be really good to be able to mention the name of a "best" shop of almost any type now. Would have been easy 15 years ago, but sadly I find virtually every kind of hobby related shop - and even shops for electric shavers recently - just don't have the item you want in stock. And the only point of a shop is to walk into it and take the item home with you - now.

So sadly Amazon et al get my vote.

b308

Postby b308 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:48 am

scotrail1 wrote:Harburn hobbies in Edinburgh is really good

Classic example of "what suits one, doesn't suit another"! I went there last week when on hols in Edinburgh and found it a completely worthless visit, most (99.9%) of the stock was RTR in display cabinets and all they had was the standard range of scenery stuff that you can get anywhere these days, even in the Ian Allan shops!

ParkeNd, I agree, but luckily we have Tennants Trains near us at Halesowen which is an old style Model railway Shop, which has some new stuff, a massive amount of varied s/h and plenty of those "bits and pieces"... Not many left these days, though..

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:04 am

I live an equally distance away from Hattons and Widnes Models on the odd occasion that I do buy from Hattons I do it by mail, I do not like the layout of their new improved shop, everything is in perspex cabinets and you can't really see the items because of the light reflecting on them. It's all geared up for the internet.

Whereas Widnes models is a small family business with a large stock on open display, but even more important they are friendly and always willing to help. If it's not in stock they will do their utmost to get it for you. Oh and I also get tea and biscuits when I go in, whether I am buying or not.

I do not have pecuniary in either business.

To me there is no such thing as a 'blanket' best, it's a personal opinion of what you are looking for and what suits you BEST.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:05 am

Sadly I managed to prove my own disappointment about model shops again yesterday - lack of stock.

Need a tinlet of Humbrol enamel in white - decided to get an acrylic white at the time. Then I could carry on painting the 42 windows in my latest project. Went into Hobbycraft on way back from food shopping so I could start again this morning. They have the standard Humbrol display unit - no stock of white in either enamel or acrylic.

Straight home and on to the internet box shifters - no problem - orders placed - but no painting for two days.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:47 am

ParkeNd wrote:Sadly I managed to prove my own disappointment about model shops again yesterday - lack of stock.

Need a tinlet of Humbrol enamel in white - decided to get an acrylic white at the time. Then I could carry on painting the 42 windows in my latest project. Went into Hobbycraft on way back from food shopping so I could start again this morning. They have the standard Humbrol display unit - no stock of white in either enamel or acrylic.

Straight home and on to the internet box shifters - no problem - orders placed - but no painting for two days.

It's always the one you want they don't have isn't it? I discovered a new problem with paints in hobbycraft, apparently I'm underage and not allowed to buy the small tins of humbrol enamel anymore, which is utter madness, what am I going to do with such small amounts, make a bomb? Cheltenham model shop still let me buy paint though...
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 am

Sounds like someone's misinterpreted the rules, I'd complain to their head office if I were you...

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:26 am

b308 wrote:Sounds like someone's misinterpreted the rules, I'd complain to their head office if I were you...

Maybe I will if it happens again, it was a while ago now, and luckily I had my dad with me, so I got my paint ok that time. I normally don't bother at hobbycraft as it's more expensive there anyway, was just passing through.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 am

I suspect they have a rule about selling solvent based products to minors, but no rule about using common sense about volumes. Same as the ****** stupid ban on paints by the Royal Mail. They even refuse water base acrylics, but they happily delivered my parcel containing a bottle of Model Strip :o
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Model Railway Shop”