Hattons and My Experiences

What do you want from a model railway shop?
klaatu

Re: Hattons and My Experiences

Postby klaatu » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:18 am

I've made 18 orders with Hattons over the last 3 years, totalling over £3000, and I have never had any problems with their site or their service. The only problem I had once was that one small item was missing from an order, which they promptly replaced.

I don't have a local model shop, not even one I could get to without requiring an overnight stay, and I buy most of my stuff from Hattons, and will continue to do so.

Steve
Just playing trains - not a "proper modeller"

amdaley28

Postby amdaley28 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:33 am

Hello Everyone.
One thing to say is if anyone ever has a problem with any suppliers website then e mail or ring them & tell them you have a problem.
If having done that & you still get no satisfaction then by all means have a rant.
Sometimes the problems we have are of our own making :oops:
Regards.
Tony.

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Hattons give the best service, especially for replacements. I have been buying from them for years, possibly as far back as 2003! and i have had top service and prompt deliveries.
Keep it up guys!
Mark. :)
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:09 pm

@D306Whister

I don't have any personal grudge against Hattons or anyone else. I'm not being untruthful either: what I wrote is exactly what happened. And I still await a reply from them...

I'm using a very expensive Mac Pro computer, and my preferred browser is Google Chrome. It's not exactly a radically unusual combination. It works buying stuff online from countless other suppliers. I know a certain amount about website development, and I have to say that this site looks, and is, pretty worn-out and clunky.

Since (I imagine) the overwhelming majority of their business is now internet-based I assume they would rather know about the problem than for me to simply say nothing and go elsewhere. My own business experience is that I would far rather have bad feedback than no feedback, and I'd go out of my way to thank someone for bringing the problem(s) to my attention.

I've also been a moderator on other forums, as well as spending a 40 year career in the law. I assure you I have not libelled them.

EDIT: OK, I've just been phoned by a very helpful and apologetic Hattons. It seems they have two sites - ehattons.com and hattons.co.uk, the latter being (their words) "1990s technology", but the ehattons one is "far superior". I'd been directed to the klutzier one by a Google search comparing prices. I asked why they didn't just kill it and redirect everyone to the better site, and they said it was "preferred by some of their older customers".

So anyway, we'll start over and give them another go! :)

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:11 pm

Good to hear that you received some resolution. I always use the ehattons site and did myself wonder why they had 2 websites.
All Aboooooard !!

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:32 pm

I always use the e-hattons site when ordering my things, its much easier to use for me mate. I think the "normal" site is aimed more at the newer releases as where the e-hattons is like the complete online catalogue that lists everything they have in stock from A to Z ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

amdaley28

Postby amdaley28 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:31 pm

Great that you got sorted.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with Hattons.
Regards.
Tony.

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am

Just to prove that if there is a god, she has a weird sense of humour, the ehattons site crashed last night when I tried again to place my order.

I hung in there, it came back online, running at a snail's pace, I kept my sense of humour, and they now have my money. Hoorah!

daveaus

Postby daveaus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:46 am

Have used the Hattons site over a dozen time in the past 3 months multiple items and multiple quantities - yes you need to update the quantities in the cart and yes using update cart is also required but it works perfectly. All done on an iMac and iPad. So far has been great.

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:41 am

Ehattons i cant fault but the Yodel delivery company they use is useless. Ordered a loco on tuesday and still havnt received it yet, phoned hattons who where very helpfull and contacted Yodel for me to find out what they where playing at, Yodel said the package was left in the garage and card put thru door but i have no card and no loco in the garage, its a waiting game now. :evil:

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:12 am

Yodel, ah um change the Y for the N and you have the right description, useless service and rude jobsworths for drivers really let down Hattons IMO :roll:. I always use Citylink for my orders as I do order in bulk which makes it worthwhile and I have never up to yet had a problem with Citylink. Their service is second to none and I use them all the time for my Hattons orders ;). So if Yodel are not complying with your needs, just use Citylink. Excellent all-round and their drivers are always friendly as well. Also if you use Citylink, you get a tracking number which gives updates of the progress of the the delivery ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:01 am

Update, Loco ordered Tuesday arrived late afternoon yesterday with Yodel.

Full pack of Peco Flexi ordered on Thursday and delivered yesterday with Citylink.

Will agree, Citylink for future orders. :wink: :D

CPR 2860

Postby CPR 2860 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

Just arrived, one, "Thompson Non-Corridor Brake Third", after leaving Liverpool last Thursday, 22nd, opting for the GBP 3.00 RM rate to Canada. :D

I wonder how Hatton's can charge such low shipping, compared to five other internet shops that want to charge anywhere between GBP 7.50-49.99 for this item. :shock:

Cheers,

Andy,
Burlington, Ont.

Phipps

Postby Phipps » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:51 pm

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:Hattons give the best service, especially for replacements. I have been buying from them for years, possibly as far back as 2003! and i have had top service and prompt deliveries.
Keep it up guys!
Mark. :)

Had a duff Hornby R2779 A4 Falcon,with a loose pony tyre a few years back,returned it,then another,returned that,the a 3rd model with same problem.
By that stage,I'd lost interest in any more Falcon replacements,so the guy on the end of their phone suggested an alternative.They let me have a older Castle(Fairey Battle) which actually cos a bit more,but they overlooked the difference.I think they were going to return all their Falcon streaks to Hornby after that.
Good service,but I try to vary between them,MRD in Portishead & my nearest stockist at Aylsham BVR shop.Andrew their will match a Hattons price if you ask him,but he usually checks & will have it at their price already.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 am

Lets draw a line under it shall quite frankley it is getting rather pathetic. After it is only toy trains

Return to “Model Railway Shop”