Hattons and My Experiences

What do you want from a model railway shop?
D306Whistler

Hattons and My Experiences

Postby D306Whistler » Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:53 am

As we are talking about Model Railway Dealers and a lot of threads speak about personal customer service and outcomes etc. Well I have to say that Hattons in Liverpool are one of the best model train suppliers that I regularly use and in my experiences the staff on the phone are very friendly and are helpful with queries that I have spoken to. One of the main features I like about Hattons is the vast amount of choice of rolling stock megapacks they sell online (Take the Bachmann TEA Tankers or the JGA Hoppers for example) great value for money I say ;). Which for me helps a lot because I like to make prototypical rakes of wagons and carriages to go with my locomotives. In my opinion, Hattons provide an excellent customer service and are there to help if there is a problem with a purchase such as a faulty locomotive for example. I would give them 10/10 for satisfaction ;).
Ash - A Thoroughbred Railway Fan ;).

60008 and D306 are the best Diesels Ever!
http://www.youtube.com/EWS60008

amdaley28

Re: Hattons and My Experiences

Postby amdaley28 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:55 am

I have to agree.
I use Hattons regularly & I have never had a problem.
Let me say there are many other suppliers out there who are worthy of mention.
Regards.
Tony.

amsie

Postby amsie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:18 pm

Id agree with Hatton giving excellent service, but lets not forget they are geared up with lots of staff and a big warehouse to deal with large mail order customers, and there are a lot of excellent smaller shops/suppliers out there who also give excellent service. My local shops I use are John Dutfield in Chelmsford and Locolines/Keytes in Basildon. Keytes prices are on a par with Hattons.

I've also had excellent service from Loughborough Model Centre in the past and the owners of all the shops mentioned are friendly ahd helpful. :D

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:28 pm

amsie wrote:Id agree with Hatton giving excellent service, but lets not forget they are geared up with lots of staff and a big warehouse to deal with large mail order customers, and there are a lot of excellent smaller shops/suppliers out there who also give excellent service. My local shops I use are John Dutfield in Chelmsford and Locolines/Keytes in Basildon. Keytes prices are on a par with Hattons.

I've also had excellent service from Loughborough Model Centre in the past and the owners of all the shops mentioned are friendly ahd helpful. :D

Have you tried plus daughters? another one close to you in Basildon
www.plusdaughters.co.uk

Mainly N gauge but still a very good shop
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

amdaley28

Postby amdaley28 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:41 pm

amsie wrote:Id agree with Hatton giving excellent service, but lets not forget they are geared up with lots of staff and a big warehouse to deal with large mail order customers, and there are a lot of excellent smaller shops/suppliers out there who also give excellent service. My local shops I use are John Dutfield in Chelmsford and Locolines/Keytes in Basildon. Keytes prices are on a par with Hattons.

During a visit to the UK I've been to John Dutfield's shop. Small as I remember but a good selection & very friendly.
Regards.
Tony.

daveaus

Postby daveaus » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:50 pm

Hatton's has become my "local" great service to us o'seas customers - thumbs up from me.

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:05 pm

Don't worry folk's, I shall write up a couple of other testimonials for other model stores including my local Trains4U in Peterborough but I will post these on another thread or so later because I don't want to appear like I am flooding the forums and risk getting a rocket from the admin/moderators ;).

amsie

Postby amsie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:34 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:

Have you tried plus daughters? another one close to you in Basildon
http://www.plusdaughters.co.uk

Mainly N gauge but still a very good shop

No, I didnt know they had a shop now. Thats about a 5 min walk from where I live. I thought they were mail order N gauge only?

amsie

Postby amsie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 9:38 pm

D306Whistler wrote:Don't worry folk's, I shall write up a couple of other testimonials for other model stores including my local Trains4U in Peterborough but I will post these on another thread or so later because I don't want to appear like I am flooding the forums and risk getting a rocket from the admin/moderators ;).

Sorry Ash, I didnt mean to hijack your thread, but I do worry sometimes that if we all keep using that place other places will disappear.

Not used Trains 4u, but I see they are a thriving business with open days, plus they have that great layout Runswick Leamside in their shop

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:18 am

No problem mate. I will write a more in depth review of Trains4U. But in my brief summary, if you deal with Trains4U, you will definitely return to them for further trade. I have been using them since 2006 and they are a friendly lot to deal with. They will help any customer out to the best of their ability and believe me they go a long way to help customers. But I will post a more in depth testimonial in a new post ;).

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:40 pm

Well, I'd love to join the chorus of approval here, but I can't. Instead I've just sent them the following email, and now I'm tired and am going to bed with half the evening written off and a need to start over with someone else tomorrow:-

:Your website is rubbish. I've spent over an hour trying to buy a couple of dozen items on an order which should be more than £500, and frankly is a starter for ten on a major project which will end up costing ten times as much.

Every time I "view cart" at least one item is missing and I have to laboriously check through every line.

I can't order multiple quantities of anything without going to the cart and updating and refreshing, which causes other errors.

Having pretty much given up I tried to stop at about £300 and just buy what the cart then showed. On clicking Checkout I just get a message that my cart is empty!

In 2012 this sort of palaver is beyond a joke, and is just completely unacceptable.

I'm sorry, I can't be bothered with dealing with an organisation whose basic product offering simply does not work. I'd be pretty nervous about whether anything I bought off you would work either.

So goodbye, I'll start over with someone else who understands basic customer service. And I'll happily pay a bit extra for it.

P.S. I pressed "Submit" on this on your "Contact us" page and that did not work either! I got this email address from blowing up the photo of your shop front on your website.

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:48 pm

Can't say I have ever had those issues Steve.
All Aboooooard !!

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:52 am

amsie wrote:Sorry Ash, I didnt mean to hijack your thread, but I do worry sometimes that if we all keep using that place other places will disappear.

Yeah, I definitely think this is something to keep in mind. I was sad to see my local shop in Lancaster close. That was apparently due to staff illness, however. We do tend to use shops other than Hattons for stuff: generally we used a good one in Hipperholme as we're at a bit of a scenics/electric stage right now. There's something great about an independent shop too.

I suppose I'm trying to reiterate what I've said earlier: namely, that going to a range of different shops is a great thing to do.

D306Whistler

Postby D306Whistler » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:26 am

Steve Hill wrote:etc, etc, etc (Post edited to protect the forum)
I don't have a problem with using Hattons online ordering service. I tend to avoid the peak times as the website does get busy and during the high traffic hour, it can lag. But for me when I order something (I buy a lot from them and take advantage of their bargain packs which I must admit are cracking value for money) the online cart and checkout works perfectly fine for me without any problems.

As you are saying their website doesn't work, are you sure that you have Javascript enabled on your web-browser? The Hattons website uses Java to function properly anyway and on the behalf of this NRM forum, can you please refrain from posting negative untruthful remarks about Hattons. I have read your post and it appears that you have some sort of personal grudge with them. Here is a simple solution, if you don't like Hattons, just shop elsewhere like at Rails of Sheffield or Modelfair ;).

The last topic about Hattons got shut down because of irresponsible posts which the user in question can be prosecuted for libel damages. As a moderator of another forum elsewhere, I am fully aware of the consequences that this can lead to. I would ideally like this topic to stay open for FAIR remarks please. If this cannot be the case then I shall have to call in a moderator to take down this topic.
thebritfarmer wrote:Can't say I have ever had those issues Steve.
The website works fine for me as well. I shall be getting some Bachmann TEA tankers in Shell livery at the weekend ;).

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:08 am

Steve Hill wrote::Your website is *******....

I've not had any web related problems so far. As others have mentioned sometimes issues with browsers, or web connections, can cause these kind of problems.

I've used Hattons twice recently (and a few times 25 years ago) and have always had great service. My last purchase was a duff one (a faulty/damaged Heljan Class 33) but they were very helpful and resolved the issue very quickly. Highly recommended :) .
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

Return to “Model Railway Shop”