Model Shops I have been to...

What do you want from a model railway shop?
jcm@gwr

Re: Model Shops I have been to...

Postby jcm@gwr » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:32 pm

bike2steam wrote:
b308 wrote:Didn't know you owned that shop Paul, I used to go in quite regularly when we had our PNBs down there, used to be good for picking up some odd books on foreign railways and browsing the secondhand downstairs... Also visited that model shop further along the road... Not been out of the station for years as all our PNBs are now at Reading...

Oh yes, and quite enjoyed it, and still miss it. I was blessed with a large regular clientele, of which a big proportion were railway employee's, with some well known 'names' in the industry. The shop up the road being Derek Purkiss ( Dodgey Derek to some) ' Bournemouth Model Centre', an excellent shop, with a knowledgeable proprietor, as long as you can go along with his quirky sense of humour :?

Oh 'Essex', you've lost me with the 'bi-focals' analogy ??.

Was this Holdenhurst Road perchance, I used to pop in once in a while, whenever we visited
the wife's grandmother. He used to do a pretty good custom t/t as I recall.
Jeff

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:15 am

bike2steam wrote:

Its from Lee Evans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-5dN3veRCw (sorry for the crap quality)
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:57 am

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
bike2steam wrote:

Its from Lee Evans
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-5dN3veRCw (sorry for the crap quality)

Never having been a fan of Lee Evans, I now know what you mean. Yeah well, sounds like the old worn out cliche of Bournemouth, which suits a place more like Eastbourne these days.

Jonny

Postby Jonny » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:35 am

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
georgehgv wrote:Think I will stick to online purchasing, probably cheaper without being sidetracked and tempted and certainly a more worthwhile cause than being eyed up as a potential thief. I used to have a shop and didn't view people with contempt and suspicion, in fact as Essex says I used to offer tea or coffee.

I find shopping online worse for being sidetracked.
My worst habit is buying extra bits I dont really need just to make the postage price worthwhile :oops:

I can totally see where you're coming from. Thankfully I'm at the stage where I can justify buying several things at once :mrgreen:

I think I like both types of experience. I've had differing experiences of shop owners, but most have honestly been pretty helpful and friendly. Shops are great because it's nice to have a browse and see things in the flesh, and they sometimes have hard-to-find items I wouldn't even know about otherwise. (I'm sure you've heard of the brand-new Oliver I chanced across in my local shop.) Online is good as well, however, as they often have a better range of things to hand. The key is to try and visit as many places as possible, I think.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:57 am

Perhaps it's worth adding, even if there is nothing that I haven't seen before, I always try to buy something, spare buffers and couplings a bag of scenic flock or even just a spare tube of cement.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Trainfish

Postby Trainfish » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 pm

bike2steam wrote:The shop up the road being Derek Purkiss ( Dodgey Derek to some) ' Bournemouth Model Centre', an excellent shop, with a knowledgeable proprietor, as long as you can go along with his quirky sense of humour :?

Ah, the shop with no prices. I went in there a few weeks ago and I'm afraid that if he can't be bothered to put prices on items then I can't be bothered to buy from him.
All stock in this link is for sale. PM me if you're interested in anything! Sometimes there's nothing here, usually because I'm buying more stuff which I'll change my mind about in a month or so and then sell it again. That's modelling though isn't it?

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:13 am

Trainfish wrote:
bike2steam wrote:The shop up the road being Derek Purkiss ( Dodgey Derek to some) ' Bournemouth Model Centre', an excellent shop, with a knowledgeable proprietor, as long as you can go along with his quirky sense of humour :?

Ah, the shop with no prices. I went in there a few weeks ago and I'm afraid that if he can't be bothered to put prices on items then I can't be bothered to buy from him.

And he aint gonna worry too much about that, as a high percentage of his regular clientele reside in Sandbanks, and Canford Cliffs (the most expensive real estate in the UK, outside London) 8) .

Trainfish

Postby Trainfish » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:11 pm

And that may be so but if he put prices on items he'd sell more as has been mentioned on either this forum or elsewhere before. It depends how much he wants to earn I suppose. Also, when I went in there, and I don't know if this is how it usually is, there were boxes all over the floor with no apparent urgency to tidy them up so people could actually see what he had. And finally, one of the biggest things which annoys me since switching to N gauge is when shops stack the boxes of coaches, wagons etc so all you can see is the end of the box with the catalogue number and description visible. I want to see what's in the box! Invariably in locked cabinets too so you can't even pick them up to look.
All stock in this link is for sale. PM me if you're interested in anything! Sometimes there's nothing here, usually because I'm buying more stuff which I'll change my mind about in a month or so and then sell it again. That's modelling though isn't it?

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Considering the detail on N scale models these days try putting yourself in the shoes of a retailer, would you allow any Tom, Dick or Harry who you don't know from Adam to pick up a detailed and expensive model at random?

Thought not...

Trainfish

Postby Trainfish » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:15 pm

If I could see the contents rather than the label on the end then I wouldn't need to pick up a detailed and expensive model at random. The cabinet could even stay locked but I could see what I may or may not buy. And guess what, it takes up no more room!

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 pm

b308 wrote:Considering the detail on N scale models these days try putting yourself in the shoes of a retailer, would you allow any Tom, Dick or Harry who you don't know from Adam to pick up a detailed and expensive model at random?

Thought not...

Exactly very well said sir

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:36 am

I think trainfish and I may have been on the same wavelength but I have interpreted his post in a way he may not have intended it, I read his post as saying he wanted to handle the locos, but reading it again it could also have been read as him being satisfied if they were in a cabinet, just as long as he could see them?!!

Trainfish

Postby Trainfish » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 pm

I did wonder if you had misinterpreted what I was saying and it appears you did so fair play for responding in the way you have done. That is indeed what I meant, I want to see what is in the boxes. If I am then interested in something then I may ask to see it close up which means unlocking the cabinet. I have no problem with that especially with N gauge as I am sure it would be easy to conceal a loco or wagon if you were that way inclined. It seems a lot of shops stack N gauge coaches, wagons etc 'end on' which is no good to me unless I'm going in for 1 item in particular. On many occasions, and I'm sure I'm not alone here, I have gone to a shop to buy something and something else has caught my eye and ultimately I have bought that too. With the 'end on' style of displaying this just isn't going to happen with me. I went to a shop during the week and they were doing exactly this, 'end on' stacking which I mentioned to them at the time. They agreed and hopefully it will be different next time I go there. To be fair they had very little in N gauge so it's not exactly their core business.

As maybe a final note on this, look at the supermarkets. They display everything 'full on' which is what tempts people to buy. You don't see many supermarkets closing down due to either lack of business or online shops though do you? So, if a model shop displays their wares 'full on' and they have a price ticket either on the box or even on the shelf then I am much more likely to buy from them. In fact I'd almost guarantee I would buy something as there's always some money burning a hole in my pocket 8)

bike2steam

Postby bike2steam » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:56 pm

May I hark back to my first post on this thread, it's good to talk, tell the shop worker/assistant/owner that you are interested in an item he has in stock, ask him to show it to you,(or ask him if he's got what you want if you can't see it on the shelf) demonstrate it running, and ask his price, and if he's prepared to do a deal, knock a bit off, if not - nothing lost.
Last edited by bike2steam on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Trainfish

Postby Trainfish » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:05 pm

And if you don't know what he has in stock (due to my explanations above) then you go to a different shop and spend your money there which is exactly what I did that day. Ok so I only spent about £75 but I'm sure he would rather have had it in his pocket than it going elsewhere. His loss, not mine.

Return to “Model Railway Shop”