The Signal Box - WARNING

What do you want from a model railway shop?
mikem64

The Signal Box - WARNING

Postby mikem64 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:55 am

Hi Gents,

Just a very quick & urgent warning, I used the above companies on-line service for the first time on 14th July,very good service, items I bought were spot on.

However I received a letter from my credit card company on Wednesday say I URGENTLY needed to call them, so at 16:30hrs on Wednesday I made my call wondering what it was all about.

The usual security questions were asked where I had to confirm who I was, were I lived, what was my recent payment activity had been with the card. All standard stuff you get asked until, did you call & cancel your card because it had been lost ? Have you moved house ? ALARM BELLS RINGING, have you used your card at these shops......Blah blah blah blah, really big alarm bells ringing now, have you withdrawn large amounts of cash from cash machines.....PANIC STATIONS REACHED.

To cut a very long & expensive story short they are sending me forms out so they can start a fraud investigation & a statement is being sent which I have too check.

Eventually all the stuff will be removed from my account & I should not be out of pocket, except for all my personal time I made to date & the forms etc which all need completing on arrival, oh and new card being issued with PIN.....

For two days I was wondering how the heck have they got enough info to convince the card company to issue a new card /pin to a new address, everything leaves my house via a cross cut shredder, there is no way any personal info ends up in the bin.

On Friday evening I feel I got my answer when "The Signal Box" emailed me saying they may have had a security breach & I should contact my card company..... THEY FEEL they may have had a breach, what a joke.

Right now I feel let down by The Signal Box, OK may not be their fault 100% that they got hacked, but they should always try & stay one step ahead of the criminal. I also feel let down by the card company in how easy it was for them to be conned into issuing a new card & pin to a brand new address.

The deed has been done & I need to move on, but if anyone has used The Signal Box & has not been contacted by them yet I would be calling your card companies NOW & spot anything whilst still in the early days.

Feeling totally violated & depressed at present,
Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

thomas the plank engine

Re: The Signal Box - WARNING

Postby thomas the plank engine » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:36 am

Sorry but although I agree with you about being taken to the cleaners by some credit cards scum, I would be greatfull to both the bank and the Signal Box staff. How many companies take the effort to inform you that they are even suspicious that they might have been scammed and that you as a customer might have been taken to the cleaneers by the scammers. I would be saying a big thank you to the Signal Box for contacting you in the first instance, okay maybe a bit later than the bank, but at least they have had the decency to do so, which is a lot more than other comapnies are know to do, or not as the case may be.

Ian

trooper

Postby trooper » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:18 am

thomas the plank engine wrote:Sorry but although I agree with you about being taken to the cleaners by some credit cards scum, I would be greatfull to both the bank and the Signal Box staff. How many companies take the effort to inform you that they are even suspicious that they might have been scammed and that you as a customer might have been taken to the cleaneers by the scammers. I would be saying a big thank you to the Signal Box for contacting you in the first instance, okay maybe a bit later than the bank, but at least they have had the decency to do so, which is a lot more than other comapnies are know to do, or not as the case may be.

Ian

It is not very often that I agree with you but on this occasion I do. The poster should be grateful the Signal Box took the time and trouble to contact him and warn him. Imagine the rant if they did/had not
Carrying on

Lofty

Postby Lofty » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:02 am

I too have been on the receiving end of a third person spending over £5K on one of my credit cards, so I know how you feel.

HOWEVER, why are you blaming the Signal Box, did they rip you off? or were they indeed innocent parties in the fraud as well.

I suspect that the SB do not use anything other than the equipment, and associated software supplied by the bank, I doubt that they gave your details to another person dressed in a hooped top with a bag over his shoulder with SWAG written on it, who went to the shop posing as a bone-fide customer.

Rather than slate them, perhaps you should be praising them for contacting you rather than just burying their heads in the sand as some companies would probably have done.

D0260

Postby D0260 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:09 am

Have you ever left your details with a pre-order for item, however long ago?

I have a feeling that these frauds start because , say , a model which takes 2 years in gestation from the manufacturer, attracts quantities of customers who , in good faith, leave their card details , so that it can be sent on as soon as released. That means , card no , address, and security code are all stored together in one place. Now that does sound potentially dodgy to me.
Can anyone thats been 'compromised', confirm if they did order something like this.

trainlover23

Postby trainlover23 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:18 am

Rather than slate them, perhaps you should be praising them for contacting you rather than just burying their heads in the sand as some companies would probably have done as stated by another poster

mikem64

Postby mikem64 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:13 am

Hi Gents,

I'm not slating The Signal Box, what I said is I feel let down by them, in a contract you enter with them they say they will keep your details safe & secure. In this instance they failed, why it failed is another question which I hope after they complete their investigation will let all people affected know what actually failed.

The point you all seem to have missed in the original post is simply this, have all fellow modellers who may have used The Signal Box at anytime in the past, have they all received this warning email ?

Not sure how many customers this may be & how long it would take to inform everyone on their sales list, I thought I'd just make everyone aware what has taken place.

If this was wrong, I then apologize, my only concern at the time was I did not want other modellers ending up with a surprise credit card statement to highlight that they also have been a victim during this security breach.

Once again back to the original post my biggest RANT (Quoting someone) is largely at the credit card company who clearly have not followed their own security procedures, if they had, then a new card & pin would not have been issued. As an example did The Signal Box have all my Banking security questions......The answer is simply no as this is only held with the bank for when I contact them, so how was this all bypassed ? The bank will inform me once they have investigated.

Mike.
Wordsworth Model Railway Free Downloadable Card Kits can be found at here
http://www.wordsworthmodelrailway.co.uk
The Wordsworth Model Railway Photo Album
https://michael-martin.imgbb.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:25 am

I agree a company who tells you that they may have suffered a security breach is behaving far more honourably than ones who shut up and say nowt. A couple of years ago I was contacted by Nationwide to say they were issuing me with a replacement card and new pin, as they had "detected patterns of activity at an on-line retailer I had used, which could indicate fraud." They declined to tell me who the company was as they had no actual hard evidence of fraud taking place and it would be libellous to name them. A month or so later an on line company known for its rugby shirts asked me to re-register on their new highly secure website. Nuff said!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

poliss

Postby poliss » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:50 pm

I see their website is closed and a new one is coming soon. Probably having their website security cleaned. They are owned by Model Zone. Don't know if the Signal Box used the same security system. Can't check now. Was there a Paypal option on the Signal Box website? The shop wouldn't process your credit card if you use that.

I had money taken out of my bank account. Never discovered how. It suspect it may have been from a skimmer at a cash machine at a railway station, but the bank don't tell you the results of their investigations so I'll never know. I only use the cash machines inside the bank now.

Go through all your old statements. You might have missed some fraudulent payments. I know I did.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:36 pm

I really do reccomend using a prepay credit card for all online business. keeps your personal wealth safer

Skrill.com offer a good one, a prepay master card with a payment option similar to paypal (much quite a bit cheaper)
https://www.skrill.com/app/

I have this card tied to my paypal, that way no one gets my true bank details
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

amsie

Postby amsie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Do you really think the Signal box failed you in failing to keep your details safe? Do you really think they are in any way at fault?

Why don't you have a think about what you are saying, then when you have digested what others are saying to you on here, repost this time saying that the criminals who hacked/stole the details are the ones who let you down????

It could happen to any business by a determined criminal/hacker!

D0260

Postby D0260 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:38 pm

amsie » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:18 pm wrote:-
Do you really think the Signal box failed you in failing to keep your details safe? Do you really think they are in any way at fault?
--------------------------------

Mikem64 didn't give his bank details to the criminal(s) as far as I'm aware , so why should he feel guilty at having made a purchase from a reputable dealer using the recognised secure use of a credit card/debit card.?

I expect dealers to have in place an audit trail, and secure system in place before starting to trade. The fact they pulled their site as soon as it became public knowledge from multiple sources, seems to indicate that not all possible care had been taken in handling transactions somewhere. I , as a card user would much sooner know as soon as there is suspicion- not after the crooks have disappeared. Thanks Mikem64 for showing the courage to bring it to the forum's members attention. It hasn't stopped me using Modelzone which is the most convenient for me as I call in personally.

There was not so long back , a suspicion about a local petrol garage here , and word of mouth went around the estate. It was then cash only as far as I was concerned, and 3 months later the garage was raided , owners arrested and charged, and its now under new ownership.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:36 pm

If the Pentagon and the CIA servers can be hacked by UK citizens, then there is no totally secure shops web server that takes and stores credit and debit card details over the internet!

But IMO they do try their hardest to protect customers details.

If anyone doesn't like internet purchases then use the phone or go in person if possible, but as soon as you give your card number its expiry date and the three digit security number it will be recorded somehow - On a PC or written down etc. This then leave the unscrupulous employee or a hacker easy access to your details!

Best of course is pay cash in person over the counter. No traceable record then of your personal details. But this often isn't practicable today. Plus have you ever tried buying any item over approx £1000 in value for cash! Its almost impossible!

I am a Signal Box customer who has used a Credit card to purchase items from them. I have no issues at all with the Signal Box or Model Zone. In fact I applauded their honesty in informing their valued customers.

I check my bank statements and credit card statements almost daily on line and so far no activity that I haven't caused shows!

I too received the email from the SB of Friday afternoon and was very please they had the decency to advise all their customers of this. Well done the Signal Box.

Will I use the SB again in the future? Yes I will. Good products at very favourable prices and excellent customer service.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

mjb1961

Postby mjb1961 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi,I am new to this forum but I would like to say sorry to hear about some of you that have been ripped off by scammers,I normally buy from eBay seller wether they are individuals or business sellers so generally pay via PayPal ,but I also have bought direct with model shops and pay with debit cards,but I have a spare bank account that I use ,I leave this account empty and only transfer funds to it prior to making a purchase so if anyone gets there hands on the card details they will have a shock so may I make a suggestion and perhaps do the same ,mjb

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:35 pm

I think Mike has every right to be upset that the Signalbox was hacked. Companies need to do their bit to protect the consumer. Granted nothing is fail proof, but it doesn't changes the facts they were hacked. It goes without saying that the hackers are worthless bits of skin who need to get a life.

Imagine if this was a government site that was hacked and your information was leaked? Would you think it was okay? I am thinking not. Good thing this was in the UK, over here they probably would have been raked over the coals.
All Aboooooard !!

Return to “Model Railway Shop”