New Model Shop in Peterborough

What do you want from a model railway shop?
ERMick

Re: New Model Shop in Peterborough

Postby ERMick » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:14 pm

Nah - before Trains4U came along I used to mostly buy on the internet. You're right though, there do seem to be quite a few members of this forum from the Peterborough-ish area.

I went to the Ely show a couple of years ago. Is it still in that place down by the marina and river? As I recall it was quite a good show and the location was very picturesque, but it could've done with a bit more space to move around.

Pug

Postby Pug » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:24 pm

Did this shop ever open?

I don't get back there too often nowadays, and I very rarely go into the City centre, but if it's worth it......

John

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:18 pm

Still no news. They've been advertising vacancies to work there but no other news as yet.

I live just outside Peterborough and hardly ever go into the city centre either if I can avoid it. From what I hear of ModelZone I'll probably pop in at some point to have a look when it opens but I'm not expecting much.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:23 am

I think you will be suprised Mick. They now do a lot more exclusive limited edtiions as well as the normal ranges from the likes of Bachmann and Hornby, always worth a look. Keep your eyes open and let us know when it's open.

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:08 am

Just looked on the ModelZone website and found that they're now listing the Peterborough branch.

It doesn't say when it's opening (it just says new store opening soon) but the address is 17 Bridge Street, which looks like it's one of the shops along the front of the city council offices.

Don't know what was there before but I don't think there are any particularly large units there.

Mind you that's using Google Maps to locate the postcode (PE1 1HJ) which isn't always the most reliable way of finding an exact location.

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:44 pm

Just thouhght I'd mention that I've noticed that this place is opening tomorrow (Saturday 27th November). Don't know when I'll get down there to have a look as I'm a bit busy with a few things at the moment, and to be honest I try to avoid going into town wherever possible.

From what I've heard Peterborough city centre is a bit of nightmare at the moment. Work colleagues who've popped into town on weekday lunchtimes say it's even heaving then so gawd knows what it'll be like at the weekend.

Think I'll stick to Trains4U - easier to get to and free parking :D

champion

Postby champion » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:18 pm

I popped in 2day and apart from a cpl of on the day bargains one of which was hornbys cl50 50048 trains4u has nothing to worry about on the model railway front.Very ltd stock and overall expensive and doubt very much youll get the exellant knowledge that trains4u would give you.I have a very good trade with trains4u and thats not going to change.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:09 pm

Thanks for the lowdown Richard. I'll probably pop in and have a look the next time I'm in town, but, like you, I'll be sticking to Trains4U.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:53 am

Richard seems to have forgotten Modelzones 15% off Hornby offer it was running during the first two weeks, the current 10% vouchers in the local P'boro press, prices below list, their price match service, exclusives, the fact they have a model railway expert in house, and not to mention in the new year they are expanding into other gauges and scales. I managed to pick up some River Bridges for half price last weekend there.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:56 am

Parking was simple Queensgate was easy to park in and I did a load of other shopping as well. The train station is but a stones throw away much easier than going down Fengate.

SirMeliot

Postby SirMeliot » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:44 am

son of triangman wrote:the fact they have a model railway expert in house,

Hey, didn't I read that you got a job there? ;)

Modelzone's store locations are good for sneaking in a trip to a model shop during 'wife' shopping...

champion

Postby champion » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:03 pm

As stated before that you dont get the knowledge and information as you get from trains4u and this came to light as wene i needed some peco stuff i got the answer peco whos peco neither heard of them.I rest my case.
richard.
D1011 western thunderer.
Fav loco class 52 Western
R.I.P Old oak common
Layout Old oak common hydraulic heydays its future in the balance.

ERMick

Postby ERMick » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:05 am

SirMeliot wrote:Modelzone's store locations are good for sneaking in a trip to a model shop during 'wife' shopping...

If there's a shop in Peterborough where you can buy a wife, I am, so far, unaware of its whereabouts :wink:

Seriously though, my wife hates going into the city centre to go shopping about as much as I do. Trains4U on the other hand is incredibly handy to drive direct to with free parking right outside. It's perfect if you just want to go model railway shopping.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Hi Richard, your statement may not be quite correct if it was before xmas? Peterborough is one of the chains shops that doesn't stock a lot of Peco due to space constraints but most staff will have heard of it and will be able to obtain it from other stores in the chain and their famous model railway outlet main shop (I won't mention the name due to commerical confidentiality but it's a big mail order house that advertises in Railway Modeller), they also have a massive central warehouse and can simply order in from there. In fact if it's the conversation I think it was I know the lady who served you, as I overheard the conversation, the lady queried the name as she hadn't heard of it, well the lady wouldn't have being a diecast expert. The lady was informed that the shop hadn't got it in stock and you were told accordingly as I was nearby at the time sorting out Hornby and Bachmann exclusive pricing and other issues. You were told it was obtainable and could be ordered in for you from another store or central warehouse and would usually take around 5-7 days. If it's the conversation I am thinking of?

Yes Sir Meliot my company did indeed to get involved with the set up of the shop for them and I did do some work in the store, back office and stock room until the 24th, but it was only a short term contract for us to get them up and running to Xmas, you should see the large model railway stock room floor to ceiling with piles of model railway stuff(the average model railway delivery is 9+ pallet loads) and a shed load of gaugemaster and woodland scenics stuff as well.

Peterborough doesn't display everything simply because of space requirements, a lot of stock not displayed is held in the stock rooms and they are getting other scales and gauges as space permits. Most Modelzones stock Peco, Gaugemaster, Hornby, Noch, Woodland scenics, Bachmann OO and N etc. Hull has an excellent selection of Peco, Bachmann OO and Farish(Baccy) N for instance and all at good prices, they have the Baccy A2's and A1 Tornado's a plenty for instance.

Peterborough was doing fantastic business up until the 24th being a tradition style mum and pops model store, the store had four major deliveries of train sets whilst I was there for instance as they were selling out quickly, sets are ordered in 24's from central warehouse so you can tell how busy they were. A proper mum and pops store has been lacking there for many a year. They do price matching as well so get a lot of trade from outside the area.

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:03 pm

I don't find city centre shopping easy either Mick, but with Queensgate being a mere stones throw away from Peterborough (North) Railway station it's not hard to reach the shop at all. Plus you have the Queensgate mulit-storey car park as well which providing you get there fairly early you can get a good space.

Return to “Model Railway Shop”