I think that a lot of stuff is overpriced...

What do you want from a model railway shop?

Is old stuff overpriced?

yes, down with collectors!
35%
probably
22%
not sure/don't care
31%
probably not
7%
no, old is valuable
5%

Total votes: 55

tuxychuff

Re: I think that a lot of stuff is overpriced...

Postby tuxychuff » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm impressed at the way "don't care" and "down with collectors" are keeping pace! :)

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:05 pm

well i think this has been a bit too overpriced by £1400 Overpriced Triang Model The most i'd pay for that is £100

Andrew
I have this engine like the picture :) GWR 0-6-0 Pannier tank
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Speed Whisker

Postby Speed Whisker » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:00 pm

That overstretched Triang dock shunter has been on fleabay before. Not worth a fraction of the asking price IMHO.
Why are the locos I want, in the liveries I want, always either non existent, out of stock, discontinued or collectors club only/limited editions?

I used to be with it, but now what I'm with is no longer it and what's it is somehow strange and confusing.

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Speed Whisker wrote:That overstretched Triang dock shunter ...

Actually it looks a bit like a NSWGR 40 class mainline diesel (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... esbury.jpg). I seem to remember a similar model being sold in yellow in Australia as part of Triang's Transcontinental range in the 1960s.
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:36 am

Thats all it is, NG, a different liveried Transconinental loco! You'd think that considering the price he'd give free postage... greedy begger!

rocketman

Postby rocketman » Wed May 05, 2010 10:50 pm

Apart from collectors.
Hornby is vastly (about 20%) overpriced (because of some deal they made a few years ago) making new stock ridiculously expensive
Bachmann is in my HO reasonably priced (so far)
My local second hand shop is very reasononably priced but I bet the seller does not think so
rocketman

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Wed May 12, 2010 9:40 pm

rocketman wrote:Hornby is vastly (about 20%) overpriced (because of some deal they made a few years ago) making new stock ridiculously expensive

So thats why the hornby products have gone up in price!!! (i'm sure the hornby switches used to be £5 not £7!!)
They will probrably have sold more things by now if they didn't do that little deal!!

Andrew
Check out Andrew's layout Hookstoke Junction UPDATED! Should do more work as it's now the Easter Holidays :) After the holdiays are over, my layout won't get updated much Age = 15

Bigglesof266

Postby Bigglesof266 » Thu May 13, 2010 2:43 am

Many things have changed since the social and and economic yardstick of the '50s, not always for the better many would argue. In this age of rampant consumerism and maximisation of shareholder profits 'ethos', pretty much every business today deploys a demand pricing model.

As such, the ubiquitious they can only gouge the maximum fiscal pain threshold the average consumer is prepared to tolerate beyond it becoming more than just begrduged. To maximise that, they will use every wile to achieve it such as "limited edition" certificated production runs to try to create the perception of a potential demand versus supply imbalance promoting a subliminal pre-order to be safe and BUY NOW! -at premium pricing- before they're gone fear of missing out mentality. Lots of other marketing ploys, and Hornby skillfully (ab)use the majority of them. I despise many of their practices which include truly abysmal quality control and denial of issues -including redress of same- when they do occur, whether by outright censorship where they can, exertion of commercial pressure to that end where they can such as in certain forums, to tacit silence on a matter and even absolute denial.

The consumer's real solution to stuff being overpriced, perception and/or reality, is really quite simple. If the consumer is not prepared to pay what is asked, they either lower their prices to the consumer acceptability point, or shut up shop if they can't. The consumer actually wields the power, but needs the will to exercise it. But if as a consumer you're prepared to pay the demand driven SRP they pitch product at, then don't complain.

And before someone starts, yes, relative to average weekly earnings today, models are much cheaper and to a higher standard than they were back when Methuselah was a boy. But then so too is every consumer item today from a 50" LCD or plasma TV to a motor car, so whilst that argument or yardstick of relativity to income earned versus when the ark was loading holds true, it's also invalid as a justification of current pricing model in the particular when actual production costs are so much lower than they were back then. Have you any idea just how little an average skilled or production line worker earns in China today or the current exchange rate versus western currencies? One needs look no further than Hornby's annual report to see where the profit from their SRP ends up.

Prices will only lower if the consumer, you, refuse to play the game by their rules.

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Thu May 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Interesting little point:
On Saturday I went to a model railway exhibition and one of the traders was selling catalogues of hornby stuff and bachmann stuff; which I would think are fairly equivalent (except bachmann stuff is better, more detailed, blah blah blah)
The hornby one was more than 160% of the cost of the bachmann one!
where does the extra £3 go!

Son-1

Postby Son-1 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:04 pm

tuxychuff wrote:where does the extra £3 go!

The name. :!:

If a parent or grandparent walks into a toyshop looking for a train set for little Johnny, they see a Hornby one and a Bachmann. The chances are they have heard of and remember Hornby from when they were small and get that.
Stephen T

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Fri May 14, 2010 6:38 pm

So the logic is:
people recognise our name
more people are going to buy our stuff
so we get lots of money
So we overprice stuff and grab even more money that we don't need
We win, you lose (all your Christmas savings)

As opposed to:
We make good quality stuff
people who know what they're buying and people who look at the prices will buy our stuff
So we get a reasonable amount of money
so we try to attract more customers by having low prices
We win, you win, you like us <go back to begining of line>
?

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue May 18, 2010 6:59 pm

tuxychuff wrote:So the logic is:
so we get lots of money
We win, you lose (all your Christmas savings)

As opposed to:
people who know what they're buying and people who look at the prices will buy our stuff
so we try to attract more customers by having low prices
We win, you win, you like us <go back to begining of line>
?

Actually hornby loose money because the prices are expensive, so less people buy them.
Also i have noticed that the bachmann products are better, for example couplings - they are much better than hornby. Also their controllers are cheaper as well.

Andrew

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Tue May 18, 2010 7:36 pm

How about:
so we get lots of money
We win (in the short run) , you lose (all your Christmas savings)
but then people get fed up with our prices and poorer quality products
Bachmann win, you win, we loose

As opposed to:
so we try to attract more customers by having low prices and making better stuff than our opponents
Hornby looses, We win, you win, you like us <go back to begining of line>
?

hobby boy

Postby hobby boy » Tue May 18, 2010 8:59 pm

yes that is more realitic but hornby still do make money from airfix

Andrew

Mortimer Hill

Postby Mortimer Hill » Thu May 20, 2010 11:21 pm

Bigglesof266 wrote:One needs look no further than Hornby's annual report to see where the profit from their SRP ends up.

In 2009, they made a pretax profit of £6.12m on sales of £61.57m, a margin of 10%. What do you consider to be an acceptable margin?

Return to “Model Railway Shop”