Rails of Sheffield

What do you want from a model railway shop?
D605Eagle

Rails of Sheffield

Postby D605Eagle » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:38 pm

I've nothing against the shop, I've had good service from them in the past, but can anybody explain to me why second hand stuff they sell on ebay goes for such high prices? One or two items going for big money you can understand, thats the nature of ebay. But every time I see summat I want and they are selling it it seems to go for about £20 more than other similar items on ebay go for. Its very odd!
Jim

D0260

Re: Rails of Sheffield

Postby D0260 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:24 pm

The stuff on Ebay by Rails is very well described, and I've never had a 'bad deal'. They are prompt with sending the stuff, its well packed, and will charge only for the relevant postage for multiple items. Sometimes I've paid more for wagons and coaches etc than I would normally, knowing full well that the extra postage charges are zero, because I bought a loco already.
I know what you mean by +£20 pounds though. A few weeks ago there was a Heljan Western I set my mind on , and thought £95 should get it... I wasn't even in the running , £132 it fetched. I will have to wait till the new batch appears later this year.

SRman

Postby SRman » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:29 am

Yes, the only reason I can suggest is that Rails do have a very good reputation for fair and honest dealing - what you see is what you get and if there is a fault they won't quibble at returns and refunds (not that I've had to do that).Add to that very friendly service (Adam is the person I have dealt with most of the time, Tracey on occasions).

I may have been lucky or maybe because I set a limit and don't go over it, but I have bought quite a few bargains from their eBay store over the years.

:D

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:03 am

Yeah they are a great bunch. I suppose reputaion counts for alot in this game!

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:42 am

I agree that their used prices are higher now than they used to be several years ago

However, as above, at least they accept returns, albeit you need to pay the return postage costs

I bought a Class 56
I wasn't able to test it for about 4 weeks
As soon as power was applied it was clear it had at least two split gears
I was advised to return it, which I did but was apprehensive on getting a refund
The refund was processed the same day I sent the item back to them, as I emailed the Recorded delivery tracking number to them

The same model then appeared a few weeks later, redescribed as "unknown fault"
Ironically, I would happily have taken a partial refund, then sent it to BR Lines for a repair and service, but they didn't want to do that
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

D0260

Postby D0260 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 am

I would happily have taken a partial refund, then sent it to BR Lines for a repair and service, but they didn't want to do that

I guess thats to thwart the fraudsters , who already possess a faulty model, bid an buy a 'Rails ' replacement then claim its faulty for a refund, probably after swopping the required good bits. I know they mark their stuff covertly, as I've found the marks occasionally ( usually microscopic and underneath)

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:02 pm

m8internet, did you buy your loco on an Ebay auction, an Ebay BIN or from their internet shop (non Ebay)?

50035 Ark Royal

Postby 50035 Ark Royal » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:37 pm

I don;t know wether it is true or not but somebody i had dealings with on ebay informed me that they bid on thier items from thier own address.As i said i have no proof of this it is only what i have been told.I do agree though that everything they sell on there goes for a higher price.What annoys me is i like to get a second hand bargain without going on the perils of ebay.As people seem to pay absoloutely silly money on there. :?
Favourite Class Hoover (Class 50)
Fifty Alliance Member shares in 35/44/49
Favourite all time loco 50035 Ark Royal

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:32 am

poliss wrote:m8internet, did you buy your loco on an Ebay auction, an Ebay BIN or from their internet shop (non Ebay)?

It was purchased through eBay UK auction, July 2006

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:33 am

50035 Ark Royal wrote:I don;t know wether it is true or not but somebody i had dealings with on ebay informed me that they bid on thier items from thier own address

Known as "shill bidding", and although eBay UK do not permit it, it is very easily done by a business

poliss

Postby poliss » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:32 pm

When you win something on an Ebay auction you have far fewer rights than if it had been a BIN. Still, a good business seller should pay the return postage, even though they don't have to, because it should encourage repeat sales.
You can check for shill bidding, but it takes some effort. You look at the sellers feedback, click on a bidder to see the percentage of bids they have made with the seller. If you see something like 264 bids, 100% with the seller, the alarm bells should start to ring.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:43 pm

Not related to Rails of Sheffield, but yet another business seller :
I can cancel the other two and put them on a buy it now at the same price. If you take them, I will charge the actual postage for the three

If I didn't know better, the initial bids are those of the same seller on a different ID

centenary

Postby centenary » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:13 pm

Might be stating the obvious but on fleabay, always set your maximum bid to what you think the item is worth and what you're prepared to pay. Then, stick to it. If it goes for a higher bid, that's they way auctions work, you can get it for less than its worth or pay more. Just look at house auctions, some properties go for way over the guide price.

Some people dont like being beaten in an auction and will lose sight of an items' value, bidding far more than they ought.

I'd be surprised if a 'reputable' business actually bid on its own auctions, its not really worth their risk is it? Shill bidding is more likely to be your back street joe or wide boy.

Just my opinion.

D605Eagle

Postby D605Eagle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:23 pm

How quickly do Rails normally take to deliver items? I ordered on of those Dapol B800 track cleaners last Saturday, still no sign of it yet.
Jim

Ian Grant

Postby Ian Grant » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 pm

Jim,
I ordered limited edition class 47 and dcc chip on the 29th March arrived on Monday 12th April after having to phone them to chase up order. I did not receive any explanation why it took so long for them to process order.

Ian

Return to “Model Railway Shop”