Jane's Helpful online shop

What do you want from a model railway shop?
onthehilltop

Jane's Helpful online shop

Postby onthehilltop » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:10 pm

got my son's set down from the loft after 26 years and the board in from the unheated garage where it has been for 30 years to take to his house for his children. Four engines ran at first touch of contacts to wheels: Hornby 57XX class pannier tank, Lima GW Prairie 56XX?, Airfix GW 14XX and a Jinty. All had trouble with the 1974 Hornby track (where did he say he kept the board? weird guy!) Mum's nail board was borrowed to take off a fine film of corrosion from the track and all the kit ran well after that, brutal but effective. Everything that was originally bought new still looks new, there's some useful second hand stuff too but we were fooled by some of the "off-board country loop" which included Triang rails just as we were fooled in 1974. I had forgotten that!
The old controller was long gone after flying model aircraft "around the pole" remember that? I had to do a crash refresher course and work out what I needed to get current flowing and had huge help from Jane of www.janestrains.co.uk who took endless trouble to answer my email queries and sort out kit that I needed while being prepared for me to buy elsewhere if I needed to as long as "we were up and running and enjoying it" She had what I wanted so I did buy with her.
I have also been helped by reading the articles on this and other sites where those who know are unstinting. That super Hornby site of Australian enthusiasts enabled me to identify the problem engines and download their detailed service sheets. They were three locos in a box together dismantled by my then teenage son. They are a loco driven 4472, a tender driven Black Five and a loco driven 2335 Hiawatha. All the mechanical parts are there cuddled together but not much engine wiring. I now have a super jigsaw puzzle with problems like: who (they ain't inanimate) gets the X.04 motor and who the X.03 (sorted that), how are the insulated wheels to be identified on 2335, and who should have the piston type smoke unit with that tasty bit of white asbestos in it (no one), etc Great fun all of it.
Sorry, this is overlong but thanks to all who write helpfully on sites such as this

glegalee

Re: Jane's Helpful online shop

Postby glegalee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:08 pm

Good luck with all that, sounds like you got your work cut out for you there.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage

Stumpy

Postby Stumpy » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:32 am

I'm pleased you're gradually getting sorted! Jane'strains sound like a helpful bunch! :D .
"A nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat! Know what i mean!? Eh? Eh?"

UrbanHermit

Postby UrbanHermit » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:42 pm

They are! They are! It's the nearest proper railway modelling shop to where I live, and I've always found Jane (Yes, it really is) and the others there very friendly and helpful.

They also have a vast stock of second-hand and collectors' stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.
"I fell out of favour with heaven somewhere, and I'm here for the hell of it now." (Kirsty MacColl)

Return to “Model Railway Shop”