Collector's Corner. Portsmouth.

What do you want from a model railway shop?
Terrier

Collector's Corner. Portsmouth.

Postby Terrier » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Hello! i am going to give an appraisal of a model shop in Portsmouth, more than likely the best in the area for Model Railways and also just about anything else model related.

Many of you who live in the Portsmouth area will more than likely have had dealings with the husband and wife team that run Collector's Corner, half way down New Road between North End and Copnor. I have sold more stuff to these great people for a good price, than ideally i would have liked to have done over the last couple of years, but today i had a few quid to spend and some track to buy, so phoned ahead, and the gentleman that runs the well stocked establishment was very helpful and i went down and purchased some peco N streamline track for a decent price, a couple of second hand points (in pretty good condition) and some N gauge Ratio plasticard brick sheets.

The shop is simply the stuff of dreams, stocked wall to wall, with all gauge model railway stuff, and anything you can't get or see, so long as it's actually produced, the couple can get for you, including as i over heared on one occasion O and 1 gauge stuff, but that's not my thing. The shop has two levels and the upper floor (ground level) is stocked to the hilt with all manner of models, cars, planes, ships, warcraft, paints glues etc etc ...and the downstairs is purely model railways, every gauge, new and second hand (saw some of my 00 terriers are still on the shelf .. :cry: )

So, after a nice chat with the owner, who is always chatty, knows his stuff and is in my opinion a decent businessman, i took some pics of the shop to share with you all here, with his permission. and if anyone who goes there, mentions that you saw or heared this post on New Railway Modellers Website, he might give you a discount, depending on how you pay? ...but check it out if you haven't already ..it's a fantastic place, a proper model shop... and i will get 95% discount for every 10 of you that mention that you read about the shop here on NRM! (...i wish lol ...already get discount as am a member of a model railway club! lol) ....so yeah, check it out. ...I would say this, the owner is savvy and will help you out, but don't get him started on Metal Detecting LOL. :lol:

The shop... New Road, Portsmouth. (some nearby parking despite being in central Portsmouth)

Inside, downstairs in the Model Railway Area. On the desk behing the stuff there is a track that the owner tests locos on, for when he is buying second hand locos, and also for when he selling ...he is proud to test anything that passes his shop, so you never get home and the loco you bought doesn't work.

...and another veiw inside ....there is much more there, and generally, he has what you are after ...very well stocked.

So yep, if you are in the area of Portsmouth and pop along, it's a top experience and don't forget to mention you saw this appraisal on the website here! :wink:

Cheers

Chris

guitardave_1

Re: Collector's Corner. Portsmouth.

Postby guitardave_1 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Looks and sounds excellent, and I had no idea it was there! Well worth a visit I think. How was their N gauge stock? Do you think he could help out with things like wires and tubes for mechanical points?

dr5euss

Postby dr5euss » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

1966uk

Postby 1966uk » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:18 am

looks very good will have to pop in shortly and have a browse. also if you are ever likely to be in the southampton area on a visit i highly recommend this shop i visit it's very much loaded to the brim with scenery and models for the railway man plus rolling stock aswell . Foot plate railway shop
Tel - 02380 771 546. Address - Footplate Railway Models, 7 St James Road, Shirley, Southampton SO15 5FB.

davek

Postby davek » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:24 am

I agree - Footplate is a good shop.
The Alton model shop is also excellent, with a massive display of new rolling stock, kits, paint and bits for the scratchbuilder.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:43 am

guitardave_1 wrote:Looks and sounds excellent, and I had no idea it was there! Well worth a visit I think. How was their N gauge stock? Do you think he could help out with things like wires and tubes for mechanical points?

hey mate, i'm shocked you didn't know it was there lol :shock: ...aye, N gauge, tonnes of it, from rolling stock, New and second hand, track, just about every kit you could imagine, people, european fleischman etc.. with N gauge point operation, i would say that he's definately got stock and knows a bit about it's operation.. but if there's anything in particular and he hasn't got it, like any good businessman, he'll get it for you i reckon.

Cheers chaps... also if i'm in the Southampton area, and i've got a few spare 'bob' (very rare occasion these days lol) i'll have a nose around the Footplate for sure. :D

Class 66

Postby Class 66 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:02 pm

Right now it takes me 7 Hours and 36 mins to get there! Man I'd do that trip anyday. Looks like a fabulous shop!

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:31 pm

Mate, that would be some journey! :shock: ....Not saying don't, but the owner will think you are bonkers! :lol: (that's the treatment i get after travelling 6 miles lol! ..but then i do babble on :lol:

...just remembered, he did mention it to me ages ago, but he's open on Sundays ...how cool is that?! 8)

briantwigley

Postby briantwigley » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:17 pm

I'm almost drooling at the sight of that place! The only place I've been to that comes close is Setchfields in Poole, Dorset, which might not have too much in the way of railway bits but its a brilliant little model shop.

One day I will make the almost 24 hour journey to get there from here!

Cheers

cookiescrumble

Postby cookiescrumble » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:40 pm

That shop is such a wonderful place. Spent way too much of my money in there. Always love haggling with him, such a laugh!
Follow my N gauge layouts progress here on my freewebs site: http://www.freewebs.com/mooringsway/

beamends

Postby beamends » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:41 pm

I remember that shop opening - we had a flat directly opposite! On his first day he had an 0 gauge 08 in the window - if it had been in blue......

Cheers
Richard
I have become.......comfortably numb

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:42 pm

I took a trip to this shop today, and I'm glad I did.

I must admit that it took me a while to warm to the owner, and I got the sense that it was mutual, at least after I mentioned my penchant for online shopping/research :lol: When he 'thawed' a little he seemed a decent bloke though, and certainly willing and able to offer advice and help. He talked me in to going down the motorised route for my points, and found everything I'd need to try a couple out. He also gave me tips on the best way to fit them etc.

He had an excellent selection of most things as far as I could tell, and I would happily buy any smaller supplies and scenic bits from him. I certainly hope to make a return visit.

Thanks for the tip Chris - the owner remembered your visit to take the photos when I mentioned your name.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:24 pm

Nice one Dave! yeah, he can be a bit hard to fathom at first, but he's generally a top chap, his wife is often grumpy, but that also wears off to lol! :lol:

I haven't been down there in a month or so owing to '0' cashflow, last time he took my Farish Battle of Britain 'Winston Churchill' off me for a very fair price, and i'm waiting for happier times to pay a visit with a wallet stuffed with expendable cash lol, but yeah, he's proper helpful and the shop it's self is well stocked, like if you go there with a purchase in mind, the chances are and if the bank balance sayes 'yes' it's easy to leave the shop with something completely different to what you went in for lol.

...Glad he remembered me, everytime i tromp down the stairs into the railway section he screws up his face as if to say, what "What does he want now?" :lol:

rust2bits

Postby rust2bits » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:12 am

It's nice to know that most model railway retailers enjoy talking to their customers and value the custom. I was shocked and hurt when the owner of a model shop in my area asked me not to frequent his shop so often. I haven't been back since as I don't feel welcome anymore. Has anyone experienced the same from a retailer?

beamends

Postby beamends » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:14 pm

rust2bits wrote:It's nice to know that most model railway retailers enjoy talking to their customers and value the custom. I was shocked and hurt when the owner of a model shop in my area asked me not to frequent his shop so often. I haven't been back since as I don't feel welcome anymore. Has anyone experienced the same from a retailer?

I have, but then from the other side of the counter there comes a point where it's clear that someone has no intention of spending but just wants a chat. Often that may be ok in quiet moments, but to be honest if they are not a mate then it can be hugely irritating (get chatting to the pub bore to see what it's like!). Shop keepers are human too, and might have a nice VAT return to fill, be in need of a brew, or thanks to the fascist state need to pop out back for a fag. Personaly I have all the time in the world for people, but once I suss that they are just fishing for info and/or prices and clearly intend to buy elsewhere (i.e on line) and I have things to do I'll be quite abrupt if necessary. The seller/customer relationship works both ways - and a good shopkeeper can spot the difference between the bloke who might come back with a fist full of readies and a time-waster at 500 yds!

Anyone who thinks "the customer is always right" has never worked in a shop ;-)

Cheers
Richard
I have become.......comfortably numb

Return to “Model Railway Shop”